England Youth Players Past/Present AOB

Discussion in 'England' started by AJ123, Aug 31, 2023.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

2. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
  3. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    He’s far too good to be playing so little football. Needs to go somewhere where he’d be a key player. Villa or West Ham would be good for him.

Marcho Gamgee and horrisengleton repped this.
  4. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Yeah, him and Eddie can't afford to stay at Arsenal beyond this season. Luckily I think there'll be fairly big demand for both of them.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He’s probably right in a way about keeping his fitness levels up but I just can’t see how he will become a regular in that Arsenal side. For his own sake I hope he leaves so he can become a main player for another team and I hope he has ambitions and not just settle for the easy option.

horrisengleton repped this.
  7. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    You see how they coaxed Reiss Nelson into signing that new deal in summer, and now we're in April and the only players with fewer league minutes than him at Arsenal are Cedric, Timber, Elneny and Nwaneri.

I won't be shocked if they do the same with ESR. Academy players often have an affinity to the club they're brought through at so I'm sure they could leverage that like they did with Reiss. Arteta comes accross as being quite sly with this stuff, I don't think he's as honest/fair as someone like Pep is with fringe players in his squad.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain

Convinced he gets a senior call-up if he's in the Premier League next season. In terms of out-and-out defensive midfielders, he's probably already our second best behind Rice given how shallow our pool is.

Shame his career has gone the way it has really, he shouldn't be anywhere near the Championship. Arsene Wenger supposedly absolutely loved him so had he stayed on there maybe Sheaf would have been better integrated into Arsenal's first team. Who knows.

hussar and AJ123 repped this.
  9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Good call. His stats against his peers in the next 14 leagues are excellent. I'd be surprised if he doesn't get signed by a bigger club this summer.

https://fbref.com/en/players/7b4a62af/scout/365_m2/Ben-Sheaf-Scouting-Report

10. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Luton really tried to sign him but seems like Coventry were asking for too much. PL clubs have really neglected the Championship as a market the last few transfer windows but seems like that's changing now.

hussar, Marcho Gamgee and AJ123 repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I was thinking about this after watching quite a lot of Championship games recently. The overall quality is probably the best it has ever been. So many options that you would be confident of taking well to the PL. A lot more high level athletes at PL level though. That would be the main question mark for certain options.

hussar, LUFCGGRAY and horrisengleton repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I mentioned this before but the big difference as you drop down the leagues is that the number of high intensity sprints completed goes down. In top level football now players really need to be elite athletes.

13. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain

Dan Neil is another interesting one. I can't claim to have seen him as much as others, but everything I've seen has been very positive and he was the only Sunderland player who impressed me when they lost to Newcastle in the FA Cup.

I know Sunderland fans are high on him and at 22 he's a great age for a step up to the PL.

AJ123 and hussar repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

15. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain

League One and all that but these are impressive numbers in a position we have little senior depth in currently. Not seen much of him but heard very good things. Still only 22 but needs to make a step up in some capacity next season.

16. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    But who are we talking about?

17. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Harrison Burrows, should be in the 'under the radar' thread really as he's never played for England. He's a very similar profile to Leif Davis last season as an attacking left back in League One with big end product numbers.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/381064/Show/Harrison-Burrows

hussar repped this.
  18. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    My error. Thought he'd had a few fleeting caps as a teenager for some reason.

AJ123 repped this.
  19. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Louie Barry is back from his injury hell tonight, he came on for Stockport late on.
    Can still play a part in this season.

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #195 AJ123, Apr 11, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
    With the talk of players not making it from their early promise I remembered a player call Bruno Pilatos. He won 27 youth caps with England and won the 2010 U17 Euros with future internationals like Ross Barkley and Conor Coady.

Looks like he had a non-league career and does a bit of coaching. I don't think he ever made a professional appearance.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/bruno-pilatos/profil/spieler/128908

https://northeastsport.co.uk/2023/07/26/bruno-pilatos-football-training-sunderland/

Issac Buckley-Rickets is another who's career didn't go as well as expected. He won 23 caps with England and won the u19 Euros 2017. He kept Marcus Edwards on the bench in that tournament. He did make some professional appearances but is now a non-league player.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/isaac-buckley-ricketts/profil/spieler/332323

A National League 1 player can now earn between £48000 & £72000 a year these days so there are certainly much worse ways to make a living.

21. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    You mean in their main job supplemented by their part time football income?

22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    In the 5th Tier those are the average wages now, players can make a decent living at it. Wrexham had a couple of players on £150k a year when they were in the division. Oldham Athletic’s highest paid player is similar to that. Nearly all sides in that tier are fully professional now.

Jenks repped this.
  23. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain

Hope Chelsea have a plan for him because his loan to the Eredivisie really hasn't worked. After being scaled back quite significantly, Chelsea's loans department has all in all done a pretty awful job with selecting clubs for their players this year. They appointed a new loans manager in February so hopefully he brings some competency back to the role this summer.

Was just having a check up on Tudor Mendel-Idowu too and he's had a pretty poor year out in Belgium. I'm not sure if he's injured or not but he hasn't been in the last few squads, but even then all of his recent appearances for Anderlecht's youth team have been very late ones off the bench, usually after the 80th minute.

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I always felt Mendel-Idowu's "child genius" status did a lot of heavy lifting for his football talents which never struck me as especially remarkable. Clearly had/has an agent who liked to ramp up the publicity also, not unlike that Blake guy at Utrecht.

Not really sure what either Webster or Chelsea are getting out of increasing his contract 1 year at a time again at this stage of his career.

wellno and horrisengleton repped this.
  25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Yeah, I've only ever seen highlights of Mendel-Idowu tbf which were very promising but again only tell half a story. England youth coaches clearly haven't been as high on him as others given he's only got a few fleeting caps here and there.

Unless they plan on giving Webster first team minutes it feels weird to try and send him on loan again. If his loan spell is successful he can just walk to whatever suitor for free.