England Women's Team Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    How was that not a penalty?

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well, wasn't a good night for our ladies all though I thought the scoreline was very harsh as thought they were a better team but our defending was simply not good enough. Also some dodgy referring there to which didn't help. Lucy Bronze is a cracking player though, she doesn't deserve to be on the losing team.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Reffing is weak in this tournament..

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Should've taken our chances & defending was our downfall. Holland has improved a lot over the last couple of years but we're playing off of their home support we're lucky we gifted them the second goal. The third one was tough luck on our part.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Every women's tournament, mate.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You can't start a game like that and expect to survive in tournament football. It felt as if we had to concede just so we could start playing. Fair enough Sampson has his style but how did Ellen White finish that game? He should have made changes so much earlier and when he did make them I can't say I agreed with them. Fara Williams didn't really look up to international level in the group game against Portugal so I was surprised to see her starting.

When you drill this specific style into a squad you always find it's tough to come back from a goal down. The team hasn't really been very good at countering all tournament and semis is a deserved finish.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    See, I like to mix it up a bit when I'm talking about the same thing on separate threads.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  8. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Beat Italy, lost to the Netherlands & France in the UEFA U19 Championship. Did not make it out of the group to the semi final stage.

On the bright side they did then beat Scotland in the 5th place play off to qualify for the Under 20 World Cup next summer in France.:thumbsup:

9. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  10. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  11. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    They should handle it by firing Sampson....he is clueless anyway....His 'boot camp' before the tournament focusing on 'fitness' at the expense of skill, tactics, game sense and field awareness is what did England in....They were poor in possession, devoid of creativity and got what they deserved....hammered.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It would be a shame that this comment would be the undoing of him.

I don't like his tactics, but he's gotten us to new heights. At this stage now I wouldn't mind a change in management, but not like this.

How do we know Aluko isn't making all of this up? The only evidence is her words unless of course if Sampson comes forward and confirms this.

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The 'new heights' Sampson has gotten the team to are nowhere near high enough...the guy is totally out of his depth and his obsession with 'fitness' at the expense of what really counts in this game proves he doesn't belong...

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think there is an obsession with fitness. All top teams focus on both. It's just England really needed to work on it as in past tournaments it's been a severe flaw. Gassing out in games and conceding late goals.

They have still done the other work but Sampson's game plan and approach is very basic. A lack of options in certain areas is a big issue too.

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    The point is you can get a team fit to play football.....by playing a lot of football in training....short sided games, uneven numbers games, possession games, 1/2 pitch games and the rest....mindless running, lap running, 'fitness sessions' are a load of rubbish in this day and age...England won't ever win a damn thing (either the men's or women's teams) until they come to grips with this basic reality...

Dernhelm repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    They do that though and players do gym work and get the body in condition to be able to complete better sessions without tiring so easily. The idea that these fitness sessions were the issue rather than the individual technical ability of players and the coaches tactical plans is odd to me.

He obviously wanted them to cover ground and this approach was limited. Another coach could have approached it differently and benefitted from the progress made in other areas.

17. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

The 'individual technical ability' of players is improved, honed, fine tuned by.....playing the game in practice....5 vs 5 etc.......the 'fitness sessions' that don't include a football are a total waste of time...you get fit to play football by .....playing football....by gradually increasing the number of minutes spent on a particular exercise.....so you do 5 vs 5 for 10 minutes......then 12 minutes....then 15 minutes and so on......Then you are increasing fitness while at the same time working on skill and tactics.....If a player makes an error of skill (poor ball control for example) then 5 vs 5 quickly becomes 5 vs 4 or 5 vs 3.....positional mistakes, tactical mistakes, are much more easily corrected initially in short sided games.....If you cannot play 5 vs 5 right then you'll NEVER play 11 vs 11 right,,,,,

Sampson has his head up his arse with his pre-occupation with 'fitness'.....

18. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Fitness sessions and football sessions aren't mutually exclusive.

Besides, strength and conditioning is clearly a key part of the modern game

19. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    1) My point all along.... fitness, skill and tactics can be achieved during the same football exercises...

2) But should NOT be at the expense of time spent playing the game....

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sampson is still picking the likes of Stoney and Fara Williams who really should be moving on now. Seems like he'll maintain same playing approach.

21. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
  22. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    So I have been keeping up with the Guardian's coverage of the Sampson-Aluko stuff, and I have one basic question: Where is the racism? There were documented cases of Ebola in Nigeria, where Aluko's parents are from. The joke wasn't about their race (he wasn't saying, "You are black and you're parents are black therefore they have Ebola."), it's about their geography, where they are from. The same joke would stand for someone of any race coming from Nigeria.

Is the joke in poor taste? Absolutely. Is it appropriate? No. But where is the racism?

23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Would he have made a similar comment to a white player? Is assuming that, by association, Ebola in Nigeria = all Nigerians have Ebola racist? Would he have allegedly asked a white player how many times they'd been arrested, as has been suggested with regards to Drew Spence? Lianne Sanderson made an issue of not having her 50th cap recognised whilst other (read: white) players received recognition for reaching significant milestones and she's subsequently not been involved in the squad.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    if the joke wasn't racist then Sampson wouldn't be pretending he never said it.

25. HouseofCards

HouseofCards Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Your first question is beyond the point. I want to strictly look at his comment. To your second question, No. Being Nigerian isn't a racial thing, it's a nationality thing. It has to do with where you are from, not the color of your skin.

Nobody cried racism when Hope Solo donned her gas mask going to Brazil in regards to Zika. Again, poor taste, and she was widely criticized for it, but not racist against all Hispanics for her post on Zika and Brazil.

As for the issues with Spence and Sanderson, more context and facts would be required before I would be willing to brand Sampson a racist. The word 'bullying' has been thrown around a bit, and that feels far more appropriate than 'racist.'