England Women's Team Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    She didn’t have her best first halve that’s for sure but it’s not a weakness.

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    She goes forward all the time though - leaving massive gaps behind her

If they’d have scored a few of the chances from the crosses coming in from the RB area we wouldn’t be having this conversation

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That’s all about what ifs and you could have that conversation about a lot of games but Sweden couldn’t convert so it’s irrelevant.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The disrespect the women still receive from social media ( not here from what I see ) still astounds me! So many just still keep comparing it to the mens game is just sad and disappointing to see! Me and my family went to the Sweden v Belgium game the other night and we really enjoyed it, atmosphere and ambiance was great compared to the usual aggressive nature of watching mens football, was so refreshing.

5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Media at it again.. trying to undermine the team.

roverman repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    They using it for clicks. She wrote that column on the 18th July around the time of the debate on social media.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It’s the hypocrisy of it though… can you imagine if Shearer questioned why England U18s fielded a team with only a couple of white players?

They pretend to care about diversity and each race getting proportional representation but only when it suits them.

Footballers abroad repped this.
  9. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    I don’t get this, England is 85% white according to the last census (probably a little less now), surely if you can accept the men’s team is usually 50-60% white over the past 20 years, you can accept a women’s squad with 86~% white players in this squad.

Btw a lot of the white players in the Women’s England squad are from ‘diverse’ backgrounds (but not the correct ‘diversity’) , ones I know of have Italian, Irish, Portuguese and Dutch parents or grandparents.

roverman and TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Your thinking is logical, objective and reasonable.

11. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  12. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #337 TopBanana10, Jul 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    Now imagine a young white person saying that watching the NBA is off-putting because it’s full of black players who look different.

Footballers abroad and roverman repped this.
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    No London born players in the squad shocked me ..

14. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Really? Chloe Kelly and Lotte Wubben Moy are from London I’m sure there are few others.

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s what it said on the radio .. only three black players in the squad as well .

Maybe just their poor research ?

16. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    The are no Black players in the squad, there are three mixed race players, yes sounds like whatever radio station you listened to have poor researchers.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    That’s entirely feasible

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Either way it does seem to be a low number

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If you work in the grievance industry you have a financial incentive to find discrimination in order to justify your own existence. Whether the discrimination is real or not is neither here nor there.

lobomojo repped this.
  20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s actually just those two with a few more from the commuter belt.

The number has also declined from past years. The 2007 squad had about 8 London born players.

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There was me thinking the idea of this game was to put together a team most capable of 'winning' football matches? I didn't realise football was an ethnicity contest - who knew! I SERIOUSLY doubt Wiegman gives a t*ss what 'colour' her players are, as long as they are the best players for the job! The so called 'Woke' brigade will always find something to whinge about, they're also harping on about why its 'wrong' to call the team the 'Lionesses' instead of the 'Lions' like the guys.

Absolutely pathetic.

My daughters are black, perhaps they should be playing up-front for the team right now based purely on the colour of their skin? They're wonderful young ladies but don't expect them to score any bloody goals though because they basically hate football and probably couldn't kick one straight if they tried!

TopBanana10, roverman and lobomojo repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Couldn't care less if they're white black purple or green if they are representing England

23. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #348 Slater582, Jul 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2022

Russo probably the pick from the semi-final. The volley from Mead & chip from Kirby also nice goals.:thumbsup:

She has given an interview explaining that she is playing through pain caused by knee problems.

They have won eight of the last ten European Women's Championships so no surprise that they are the opposition! Plus with all the history (66, 96, even 2005) when it was announced that Wembley would host the final of both UEFA tournaments in consecutive summers you suspected Germany would appear in at least one of them.

Whatever the result on Sunday, the fact that England were present on both occasions is a testament to the efforts of the FA and others to improve the fortunes of the national team(s).

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Then she should not be playing .. simplez

Germany like the other teams will target her and I don’t think Germany will miss as many chances as Spain and Sweden did .

Hopefully we get lucky again then go and score a couple

25. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I’m not completely against the diversity debate… it is nice to see a cross section of society whether that is racial/geographical/class based.

But you can’t force it and The Guardian and Athletic will only ever bring it up when it suits their agenda. Can’t see them doing an article on the lack of diversity in the NBA or under representation of white lads in England’s youth teams.

Footballers abroad and roverman repped this.