england vs usa

Discussion in 'England' started by SAMSARMY20, Nov 2, 2002.

1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest England fans don't get excited about playing anyone in Friendly matches. Only the real big guns generate a reasonable level of interest. It's not a case of the English preferring not to play against the US, more that among the dozens of possible realistic alternatives (we're not going to schedule a home game with someone like Laos for example) the US doesn't stand out from the crowd.

2. Sweeper

Sweeper New Member

Feb 11, 1999
    I personally want to apologize on behalf of all American fans for the actions of our supporters.

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    How can you limeys not care? We're the almighty US of A!!!

4. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    The U.S.A. should try and schedule two or three friendlies in Europe as a warmup prior to the ConFed Cup. They should also try and schedule friendlies in Europe prior to Euro 2004 as warmup games for the European teams. The point is to schedule higher quality friendlies. Holland has visited the U.S.A. prior to each of the last two world cups and I am sure they would be willing to play us in Holland as a pre-Euro 2004 warmup (if they qualify). We gave Italy a good game a few months back so they might be willing to play again after our showing in the cup. I just want to see the U.S. playing higher quality opponents than El Salvador. We all know that you improve by playing teams that are as good or better than you. As for England, I want to play them for two reasons...
    1. The Yanks and the English are the two best trash talking nations on the planet ( The French have had their eye on the top spot for a long time, but they come across as whiney, self-absorbed, surrender-at-all-costs wannabe loud mouths). Having these two nations as powerhouses in the world sport and mouthing off at each other from across the pond would only increase the fun of it all.
    2. It would give me another excuse to visit England and become a hooligan master

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Me too. Though to be honest, the opening two pages of this thread were hilarious, one of the best cyber-handbag fights I've seen around here, and while the attempted humor about Basle v. Liverpool failed to register on me, much of the other stuff was funny, too, especially the anticipated arrival of Sinner Ronald Monk.

But, as a US fan, I have to say ask, WHY would we want to play England in February? Who would we play? Of our Euro-based players, Reyna is out, O'Brien is coming off an injury, and Hejduk just helped his team lose 11-3. Is Keller going to try his luck at midfield? Are we going to take on England with 1st and second division guys like Lewis and Thorrington? And keep in mind, sending our MLS players over there at that time would be stupid, too, since that's about when pre-season training starts, and I'd like to see them play for their club sides before they start with any international friendlies. But hey, that's just me. It takes a lot more for an anticipated friendly with England for me to pitch a trouser-tent anymore, even with the help of Ener-X and that other penis-inflating herbal supplement they advertise on Fox Sports World all the time.

But hey, this thread's not a complete waste of time. I mean, should any of us cheap bastards decide to spring on full membership, such threads are a great source for figuring out who to put on the ignore list, though nowhere near as good as those "we'd never lose a match if 'our best athletes' played soccer," where "our best athletes" means "guys these morons who start such threads see doing commercials all the time."

6. JoBeck

JoBeck New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Wesschessduh
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, this game isn't even gonna happen. So please just take it easy already (and I'm looking more in the direction of the Yanks here)

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Why not play Germany? They're Europe's best team.

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: england vs usa

I think on current form that title belongs to Wales actually ;)

9. Lancashire Lad

Lancashire Lad New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Lancashire
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    USA v Faroe Islands

USA should play the Faroe Islands. After all they nearly beat the very tough Scots and Germany! (sorry couldn’t resist)

I would like to see England play the USA. Friedel is great form at the moment. But who’s LD? Didn’t he score a few goals in the world cup? Does he play for a big team? Real Madrid perhaps? I heard that Liverpool are looking for a striker to replace bamby on ice, may be its LD!?

10. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love it. Our Southern expression, you all (or, more exactly, "y'all") has made it to the far north of the UK--Scotland.

Now, 'tent in youre trousers' isn't part of the US South's vernacular, but it should be :D

11. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Sure it wasn't the other way around?