England Vs USA Feb 12 at Old Trafford.....

Discussion in 'England' started by pedro111, Oct 27, 2002.

1. pedro111

pedro111 New Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Newcastle Upon Tyne
    It was in the Sunday Sun. An English Regional Newspaper.
    This paper is known for its "dodgy" sources.

2. chante gomez

chante gomez New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    We'd get our a** handed to us, but it would be an interesting match. We have been known to pull off some surprises. Well, lately anyway.

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    on what freaking basis do you say that? Would they hand us are a$$ like they did to Macedonia? Just because they have a 3 lions on their shirt doesnt mean the will run over anyone.

They may win, yes, we may win, we may draw. but whoever wins will do so by earning it.

I'm glad our PLAYERS dont share you "enthusiam" in our Nats

4. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England, pure class? Yes, they've won one world cup, but in 100 years of football what else of major note have they accomplished? Are they good? yes. Have they EVER been the best? a long, long time ago. But hey, everyone still seems to think they are godlike so why not? Lets have at it, maybe they still have something to teach us that we haven't already managed to learn for ourselves.

5. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Can't see it happening mush.

I mean, we would want quality opposition.

6. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D

7. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Yeah, quality... Like... umm... Macedonia????

8. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe Poland.

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Hey I don't remember Landon Donovan claiming to score 5 on Poland (right Michael Owen?)

10. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't remember Micheal Owen claiming to score 5.

11. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's all very simple. England are rubbish. England's players are all overrated. The USA are an emerging world power. The fact the that the US made the final 8 in 2002 proves that the US are a top 8 team. England making the final 8 proves nothing as they are rubbish.
    The US team did better in this world cup than in the last world cup, which proves they are getting better. England's record or not qualifying in 94, 2nd round in 98 and quarter-finals in 2002 proves that England are in decline.
    The US will surely overtake England soon and even though this technically means England are better than the US at the moment, England are rubbish but the US are a top team.

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I suppose we'll hear about macedonia for the next 10 years...
    Didn;t the yanks get beaten by teams like Trinidad and tobago during qualifying?? hhmmm funny how we never hear about those results anymore....
    what a bunch of mugs..LOL

13. mundial

mundial Member

Mar 12, 2000
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not T&T!

No, our losses were to Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Honduras, thank you very much! All much stronger than T&T!

FWIW, we beat T&T at home, tied away after we had already clinched a spot in the finals.

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Guatemala?? haha
    that puts our draw with macedonia into perspective.. haha

15. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You know what's sad? Some of the Americans here would, in all seriousness, agree with that.

16. concrete

concrete New Member

Jul 9, 2002
  17. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well I get it.

all "joking" aside, Is England really doing any better or worse these past few years than they have nearly always done? You have won one world cup, a long time ago, and some over here are under the impression that you are untouchable. Oh well, you're good yes, but unbeatable by the U.S.? nah!

Sometimes I wonder why there are those of us who speak of the English national team with such reverance and awe, when there are nations who can boast 2, 3, and even 5 world cups?

Still, you are much more accomplished a footballing nation than us lowly yanks, but I think the gap has narrowed dramatically over the past decade. Too bad the two F.A.s can't make a date to play. It'd be a great game to see.

18. lond2345

lond2345 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    USA
    only idiots would have a SWEDE coach their national side. Nowonder england plays like crap.

19. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    How old are you?? about 12?? maybe 13??
    LOL

Anyway ,We're better than your boys...
    Which team do you support???
    mexico?? LMAO

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Member

May 23, 2002
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the things is no one is begging or telling the u.s. fans to treat the england team with awe, we know we've won only one world cup and that was a long time ago unlike france who won in 98 and the germans or argys, brzilians and uruguayans who've won their share.
    so basically treat those teams with awe it doesnt really matter, all we are praying for is the cahnce to win another but we should be grateful when all is considered seeing as the fantastic dutch are still without the coupe du monde. and theres the spanish also.
    it would be a good game though.

21. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001

You must have been reading a different thread.
    All I can see is yanks mouthing off about england recent draw with macedonia and various tedious comments..

This game aint gonna happen.
    so you can save your big speech...

22. billf

billf Member+

May 22, 2001
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Not T&T!

We did not lose to freaking Guatemala! We drew that match in the swealtering jungle 1-1. We lost to Mexico away, Costa Rica away twice (once legit, the other on a curious pk), and Honduras (unexcusable) at home.

23. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't reference any posts in this thread now did I? You make it sound as if you have a chip on your shoulder.

And I also didn't say this game was going to happen, this time. That doesn't mean it will never happen and it doesn't mean it won't be a good one when it does.

Mr. poopy pants....sheesh :D

24. Brainodo

Brainodo New Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Hoboken
    Well, it's hard not to be defensive when people are constantly banging on about the Macedonia game and before that the Brazil game.

No one launches any tirades against the highly rated Spanish or Dutch (how many World Cups do they have again?).

But we win one game, take our opportunity to crow about it (which makes sense considering that two of England's most recent wins have been against long-standing rivals) and as soon as we have an unfavourable result, every fair-weather, Brazil supporting, glory-hunter comes out of the woodwork to give us a dressing-down.

It wouldn't be so bad but the vast majority of thses people come from countries with god-awful teams that have achieved next to nothing, or arent any kind of traditional rival but somehow we're so much worse than Brazil who miss no opportunities to rub the fact that they've won five, in your face.

I realise that as so many English revel in the fact that 'we invented the game' and the like, it's probably fun to take us down a peg (ditto the cricket) but some of the ill-informed hysterical rhetoric is laughable.

One bad result and we're as crap as ever, one favourable one and it's 'bah humbug, boring game, crap defensive tactics' etc (after the Argentina game for example).

According to most of these posters, players like Owen and Scholes are total crap and have 'no vision' or 'skill' and yet they are important players on trophy winning sides that frequently do well against international competition. But because they play for England, they are somehow exempt from any kind of praise and this is often from people who actively support their club sides.

25. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I would say that most of said people are not native to England (politically correct post ;))