Pre-match: England Vs Ukraine ,Tuesday, 11/09/2012 ,Wembley

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Sep 8, 2012.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Match thread....

2. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Swap Terry for Cahill, otherwise same as.

3. mark-lufc

mark-lufc New Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Hello new user here, looking forward to this game, as it should give a decent gauge of where we really are, beating Moldova didnt really tell us anything. However I hope England start with the same style and really press Ukraine high up the pitch,the injury to Terry could be a blessing in disguise because Cahill has more pace, and is less prone to high balls in behind. Although the ability (or inability) of Lescott to retain the ball is still very worrying

4. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cleverley looks the real deal... Reminds me of a mini-Scholes

5. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Im hearing lallana ,sterling and Livermore have been added into the squad after Walcott and Sturridge had to withdraw .

6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't quite 'get' Livermore. What does he do?

7. mark-lufc

mark-lufc New Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Am I the only one who thinks Sterling isn't that good? Why is he getting called up when better/more experienced players like Nathan Dyer and Routledge are performing every week in premier league?

8. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cap-tie.

9. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    If you don't think Sterling is very good, then you don't know much about Sterling. He is one of the brightest attacking hopes in English Youth football. He scored a couple against Leeds for the U18s two years ago when still 15. Dyer and Routledge are good players too, of course.

Hodgson knows Sterling well. He played him in a pre-season friendly against BMG while LFC manager. Sterling was 15. I think this move is partly because Jamaica are all over Sterling trying to get him to play for them. Getting Sterling involved in the England camp reduces the chances of him opting for Jamaica, which I think is quite unlikely anyway. Losing Sterling to Jamaica would be a disaster though. Personally I think Sterling has not done enough to win a Cap yet, but Hodgson implies that he won't be playing unless some unlikely circumstances occur.

Lallana is an interesting choice too. Hope that the illness in the England camp does not spread further.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...gland-squad-after-Theo-Walcott-falls-ill.html

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And then there is the forgotten man, er, whatshisname?

Lennon.

11. mark-lufc

mark-lufc New Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Source? I think there are much better young players than Sterling like Ross Barkley, Jonjo Shelvy and Nick Powell, he looks like another one-dimensional winger to me. Aaron lennon burst onto the scene at 16 and people said he would go onto be great, yet he hasn't achieved all that much so far. At the end of the day Sterling is just 17, 5 appearences for Liverpool shouldn't earn him a place in the England squad at that age. If he had any intention to play for Jamaica he wouldn't agree to being called up by England. I think wingers should be managed a bit more conservatively because they have a tendancy to peak early in their careers and then dissapear. And after seeing some of the performances of Dyer and Routedge for Swansea it also dissapointing that they continue to get ignored by England

12. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Well there is nothing wrong with being disappointed with Dyer and Routledge being overlooked. I also have said that Sterling has not done enough to earn an England cap yet. However Jamaica are sniffing around and we should lock Sterling in to England rather than not bother and make assumptions only to lose him. I think that is the main reason for the callup.

If you don't rate Sterling that is up to you, as you say you are new around here (Bigsoccer). Here in the England Forum, we have some informed posters who follow Youth football very closely with more attention focused on England prospects. People who actually watch Youth football. Sterling has been talked about for years here along with other top English prospects. Did you watch the U17 World Cup? I am guessing not.

13. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't believe Sterling is still only 17, surely he must be one of the youngest, if not the youngest players ever in an England squad? I seem to remember hearing his name a few years back and even last season some Liverpool fans wanted him in the team.

I'm fine with him getting called up, of course I think Dyer is also worthy of a place, but hey it's better than under Capello when we were calling up SWP and the likes..

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Biggest threats for Ukraine will be Yarmolenko and Konoplyanka.

15. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Ukraine will be after revenge for the Euro's. Hopefully we can do the job and get a win. Important match in the road to Brazil.

16. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Happy about the beat down of Moldova, but it was MOLDOVA.
    Would love to see the lads put 5 past Ukraine, then everyone can actually
    say this is a side with a shot in Brazil.

Prediction: 2-1 to England.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Calling Sterling up now is pretty silly.

18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    The funny part is neither's a striker.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Only one change from the Moldova game. Jagielka in for Terry.

20. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Despite Hodgson's denials, I think it is to warn off the Jamaicans more than anything. If we are up comfortably with 5 minutes to go, he can bring him on and settle the issue.

21. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs to step up his game a bit before he's talked of in those terms. Mind you, you're comparing him to the one of the best midfielders of the past 20 years. Maybe not surprising if he's not reached those heights yet.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Er... is it just me or is this lot a little better than the last lot?

23. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's about the third ball Gerrard has lumped forward and it's promptly lost... :(

24. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Laughable dive chalks a goal off.
    Great strike from Defoe .

As if Defoe's slight hand off had enough power to send Yarmolenko flying to the turf..
    ha!

25. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yarmalenko goes down like a sack of potatoes when touched on the chest denies us a perfectly good goal.