England vs Denmark

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Bulldog1980, Jul 6, 2021.

1. sinfony

sinfony New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    #201 sinfony, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    But by moving before the ball was struck they ended up within 1 metre of the defensive wall before play had been resumed (it is resumed when the ball is struck from a FK), which is against the rules of the game.

The referee had positioned them where they were supposed to remain until the ball was struck but they moved at the last second to gain an unfair advantage.

The fact that play only resumed once the ball is struck at a free-kick also meant that the player falling to the floor from the original free-kick should have lead to a retake of the original, not the repositioning of the kick, as he fell before the ball had been kicked.

All in all, it was not the best night for the referee - and VAR checking for on-field errors - when it came to the big moments.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #202 Ceres, Jul 9, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2021
    Who fell to the ground (hopefully you are not thinking of the English player who deliberately is laying on the ground as part of the wall) ? .. and name me just one game where a retake ever happened for standing right beside the wall that is set up ?

3. sinfony

sinfony New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    The fact that the rules aren't applied in other games doesn't mean that rules aren't being broken.

Marcho Gamgee and LorneMarvello repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    This rule only apply if the opponent deliberately are in the way and get some sort of advantage out of it, which was not the case and is why it's never applied in a case like this.

5. sinfony

sinfony New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    There's no mention of advantage in the laws, just that the attacking players are not permitted to be within 1 metre of the defensive wall when a free kick is struck.

In any case, there was an obvious advantage to their actions in that they helped block the keeper's line of sight, otherwise they would not have shuffled over, away from where the referee had instructed them to remain, if there was no point to the action.

LorneMarvello repped this.
  6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    "Free kicks Law 13 Changes

When there is a ‘wall’ of three or more defenders, the attackers are not allowed within 1m (1 yd) of the wall; an attacker less than 1m (1yd) from the ‘wall’ when the kick is taken will be penalized with an indirect free kick •

Attackers standing very close to, or in, the defensive ‘wall’ at a free kick often cause management problems and waste time. There is no legitimate tactical justification for attackers to be in the ‘wall’ and their presence is against the ‘spirit of the game’ and often damages the image of the game."

There is no attackers or attacking players but only Danish CB's standing anywhere near the English defensive wall.

johnny6 repped this.
  7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Watch the clip again. Where exactly do any of the Danish player block the keeper's line of sight of the ball ?. If any, it would Kane blocking the line of sight.

8. umop_apisdn

umop_apisdn Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Midwest
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is only one peculiar (although not entirely incorrect) refereeing decision that immediately affected the outcome of the game here and that was the Sterling penalty call. These other moments are not in the same universe of idiosyncrasy and importance.

The argument that England were the better team anyway, also sucks. The object of the game is not to look like the better team but to score more goals than the other team. Without the pen, it's still 1-1, and even though England were going to be the more likely team to score over the remainder of extra time, it by no means eliminates the impact of the penalty call on the outcome of the game. Denmark could still have won, even if it would have been defying the odds a bit on who "looked better" towards the end of the game.

I'm not biased here and I think the whole situation is unfortunate, in a way, for England as well, who were robbed of the chance to score a more indisputable winner over the remainder of extra time, rather than this total judgement call of a penalty which the majority of refs would not have given and that anyone looking at this objectively must acknowledge Denmark were hard done by.

tudobem62014, JanBalk, Ceres and 3 others repped this.
  9. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    55 years is not enough. Forza Azzurri!

"Whereas predecessors as England coach would stick to talking about matters on the field, Southgate has often talked about the role of sports in uniting the country since the 2016 Brexit referendum. And he doesn’t shy away from how the nation has been shaped by military conflicts — and the place victory over Nazi Germany in World War II has in the sense of nationhood.
    Southgate brought up how much it resonated that England beat the modern-day Germany 2-0 in the round of 16 at Euro 2020.
    “People have tried to invade us and we’ve had the courage to hold that back,” Southgate said. “You can’t hide that some of the energy in the stadium against Germany was because of that. I never mentioned that to the players, but I know that’s part of what that story was.”
    https://apnews.com/article/euro-202...ional-soccer-8f576098ebec191c2dd9c7d318489239

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    That is despicable. There is no place in football for this kind of sentiment. Modern day Germany has nothing to do with Nazi Germany and is an allied country, a member of NATO and of the European Union. Shame on Southgate.

verde-rubro, welshbairn and Hayaka repped this.
  11. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wish this lego shagger would stop crying and act like a man does.

England won because God Wills it

And who are you euro funboys to question the will of god

12. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    You just signed off all rights of ever having compained about Maradona and 'God's hand'

13. sinfony

sinfony New Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    "Attackers" obviously means the "players of the attacking team" in the respective free-kick situation. The referee is hardly supposed to allow players to stand anywhere if they are wearing the number 5 but if there are wearing the number 9, "oopps, you're an "attacker", out the way!".

For the avoidance of linguistic doubt, here is the rule in your native language from the Danish FA:
    "Hvis tre eller flere spillere fra det forsvarende hold udgør en mur, skal alle det angribende holds spillere være mindst 1 meter fra muren, indtil bolden er i spil."

https://www.dbu.dk/media/17092/fodboldloven-2020-2021.pdf

14. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    .............................anyway despite the hilarious 'bitterness' being shown towards not just the national team but the English in general the fact is the English team won, the English team were the better team on the day and the English team deserved to win, no amount of name calling or bitter insults (from behind the safety of your computer keyboards I hasten to add) is going to change that fact. Lets hope that there is a good game on Sunday and win lose or draw I for one would be pleased to shake a hand of an Italian and congratulate him or tell him 'unlucky it was a great game'. If on the other hand if he starts with the anti English sh*t I will happily knock him out, like I have had to do only once before in my life (which happened to be an Italian tw*t that time).

Onwards and upwards.

15. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #215 Ceres, Jul 10, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    It matters not, because the Danish players took a step forward as well as sideways, so that the one player who could have been less than 1 m close to the wall, was not standing shoulder to shoulder to it. If the wall was exactly 1 m sideways behind him is difficult to say by looking at the footage and impossible to say by looking at a picture from the front, but the referee apparently believed it to be so, and again, I have never seen a retake ever, for one or more players standing right beside the wall, here you would even be able to argue if the one player perhaps was keeping the 1m rule.

16. LorneMarvello

LorneMarvello Member+

Jul 1, 2014
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It got us nothing anyway!

neither Franky lamps goal which is the reason we have Var which is used wrong.

Or Koeman bringing down platt

People just go ahhhhhh that's a shame

Let's face it

It's much more fun to be dirty cheats, just ask the super marios

17. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    So basically you are being a big macho man from behind the safety of your computer keyboard. Okaaay....

Cosmin10 repped this.
  18. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    #218 Brasitusa, Jul 10, 2021
    Here is how I see this whole thing: we Italians have had our share of diving and cheating, sure, from our players (which has happened in football ever since the first time the game was ever played; happens for all national teams and clubs - maybe we even did it a bit more than others, in parts of our history)... but we Italian fans are generally (with exceptions, of course) nice people with a nice attitude, and we are able to make fun of our own players who dive and exaggerate (like the various memes mocking Immobile, originating from Italy). The English have had their share of diving and cheating, sure, from their players (which I don't mind in itself; like I said, it has always happened from all sides)... but the English fans have generally (with exceptions, of course) a nasty, aggressive, and arrogant attitude that we are seeing in this very thread, and a blatant double-standard in finding excuses for their cheaters while bashing others; no wonder most of the entire world is rooting for Italy tomorrow, which is something I see in most neutral forums and online sports news.

Sure, England may win. I think they have a very good team, with a very good defense and young and powerful offense. I just hope that if they do win, it's on merits (in which case I'll congratulate them) and not via cheating and questionable refereeing decisions under pressure from the home crowd. I also hope they won't flash lasers onto Donnarumma and won't boo Il Canto Degli Italiani; if they do, I will lose all respect and hope that the Gods of Football teach them a lesson.

Oh, and I hope that Southgate won't repeat against Italy some of the disgraceful comments he made about Germany, basically equating the current Germans with the nation's Nazi past. If that idiot starts some s...t about Fascism and Mussolini, it will be really irritating. I think that he should try to learn some class from Mancini. This kind of thing justifies how the world turns against a team. There can't be any clearer example of a poor and nasty attitude.

Ceres, DutchFanatic and verde-rubro repped this.
  19. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    https://www.yahoo.com/sports/italian-fans-must-not-travel-064836340.html

This is such BS... the rate of new Covid-19 cases per capita, like I showed in a previous post, is currently 30 freaking times higher in England than in Italy... but they don't want even the limited previous agreement of allowing 1,000 Italian fans in, despite them having charter flights, dedicated transportation from the airport to the stadium, negative tests, and the promise to leave England within 12 hours.

I mean, the Italians should be afraid of the English regarding Covid-19, not the other way around.

It's all politics, I know... but it makes no scientific sense whatsoever. These 1,000 negative-tested Italians are not the ones spreading the Delta variant around. Much the opposite, England is the Delta-infested place.

20. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #220 DutchFanatic, Jul 10, 2021
    Yeah the full on anti-English rhetoric is definitely unnecessary, I understand your frustration. But you can't blame people - particularly Denmark fans - for feeling aggrieved about the penalty. It's still recent, and lets be honest... if this happened to England your fans, media and pundits would never stop complaining about it. It would be relentless, just like any other time England has been even a little misdone. This was a big one, in the extra time of a semi-final game.... that's huge. Danish fans have a right to be mad, I would be pissed. Really, i'm so happy i'm not Danish.

That being said it happened and now we move forward. I have a hard time rooting against the English team for this penalty incident when their finals opponent is Italy... I mean if there's one team that knows how to cheat, it's Italy. And everyone knows it. Good luck to you guys, enjoy the final and don't let the moment be wasted on internet haters. People love to hate, but at the end of the day your team is in the final :thumbsup:.

21. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I'm telling it as it is, thats all.

22. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Italian fans are the worst of all, have you looked on the Italian boards recently!!? As for the Danes bringing the Covid deaths into it..............well probably the nastiest yet. As for your comment about the English, well don't talk sh*t to them and you won't have a problem, start on them though and they will ALWAYS fight back. I had to knock out an Italian in my local once, he wasn't alone and his mates were taken care of by 'other' punters in the pub but perhaps before 'judging' you should think about what they had done to induce such a response in the first place?

23. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yes of course you are right, I remember plenty of times the English national team were robbed (far more blatently than this too because Sterling was fouled) but I have to say that I haven't seen the English resort to petty and childish nastiness directed at a particular nation of people because of it. When Lampard's goal wasn't given against Germany the English were p*ssed off for sure but I don't remember them abusing Germans because of it! I'm sorry but this whole business of slagging off the English people is going to cause massive problems, perhaps even on the day of the final, I feel sure that if the Dutch received such vile abuse they too would react no?

DutchFanatic repped this.
  24. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Applaud... such a macho man!!! The taker-down of unruly Italians! How many Italians have you and buddies beaten up? 20? 30? Certainly each one of you can take down at least 10 of us, right? Congratulations! Violence is the answer to everything, sure! [more likely this is a fantasy and never happened, and it's just some Internet warrior trying to project a tough image behind a keyboard - how do I know that? Because real men don't need to brag about it].

Look, fellow, I have zero interest in continuing a conversation with someone like you. Have a nice and long life. Welcome to my Ignore list. Over and out.

25. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    You misunderstand, I'm not talking 'tough' I'm making a point. The abuse on these boards directed at 'the English' is bang out of order. The fact is I am most certainly NOT a violent man, the guys in the pub were/are regular guys. The point I'm making is that it was 'something' that set it off and it WASN'T the English. After the game tomorrow you will find English football fans happy to talk about the game BUT give vile abuse and it WILL result in problems and although the English will ultimately get the blame (they always do) it will not be because of the English, these boards prove my point!
    I will be available to talk to about the game however, I won't 'abuse' Italians if it goes all wrong (UNLESS I RECEIVE IT FIRST) don't be surprised if you throw abuse around that there will be consequences, thats all.