England vs Denmark

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Bulldog1980, Jul 6, 2021.

1. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Looked at you funny? I bet your pals held him while you hit him, if it happened at all, which I doubt. As for forgetting being hard done by, you lot still whine about Maradona's first goal 35 years ago while conveniently forgetting the second when he left half your team spinning helplessly behind him. I think the Danes are quite entitled to complain about that travesty of penalty a few days later, and any neutral come to that.

johnny6 and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  2. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

3. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

4. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    You may but that make you rather rare among English fans and media. Since the majority of English fans and Media will most likely not.

They will spend most of the time until next major Championship lamenting how they where robbed by, the ref, their inept coach, one players mistake, that the boll was to soft, that the pitch was to hard or just bad luck and that England was the better team and should have won. The most gracefull ones MAY adimt that they had a bad day and that the the other team deserverd to win, but just because they where better that day and the England team is still the better one.

6. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No he didn't just 'look at me funny' and it wasn't just him, they seemed to think abusing an Englishman was a perfectly acceptable thing to do. As for the Danes they didn't just 'complain', they gloated at the deaths of the English Covid victims, a bit more than just 'complaining' about a decision in a game wouldn't you say!? Or is that OK in your book as long as it's the English being abused? Some of the comments being made to and about the English has been VILE. How do you expect the English to react?

7. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    So it's OK for the poor old Danes to 'lament' about how they were 'robbed' by the ref but not the English right!?

8. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    We have "fans" who only come out when there's an international tournament and have probably never been to a game before. They bemoan every decision that goes against us, and can't accept if we've played badly. I think some people just use football as a medium to vent their frustration in life and you'll never get any sense from them.

We also have "fans" who like nothing better than causing trouble, picking fights on those who can't defend themselves, and generally being arseholes. From my own experiences, these are less prevalent than they used to be but once again, the big games seem to bring them out. These are probably the same lowlives who like to pick fights on a Saturday night, on other who are just out having a good time. The booing of anthems it petty and the laser pen incident was totally unacceptable and whoever was responsible wants banning from football matches.

All England fans are not nasty, arrogant and aggressive, but these are the ones who grab the headlines in the press or are most vocal on social media platforms.

I've watched club football for all my adult life, had a season ticket for much of it, and have learned to take the rough with the smooth. I know when my team has played badly, when they've been unlucky and when key decisions have gone either for them or against them. It's part of the game, and if you can't accept that then maybe football isn't for you.

9. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    If you actually bothered reading ... most people (and most Danish) freely acknowledge that England was the better team and probably deserved it more ... it's the way that it happened (softest penalty in the tournement), and the English hooligan attitudes that turned people sour.

There is absolutely no Anti-english over any part of the whole discussion, unless you count anti-hooliganism and being against poor referees (expect for English media absolutely no one else have been able to defend the penalty, and even then people like Clattenburg have been very iffy on it) as being anglophobic, but in that case, there's no reason to discuss

10. Quirky_Birky

Quirky_Birky Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Sep 15, 2004
    The Peak District, England
    Plenty of English have said that it was a soft penalty, but we get these regularly in the Premier League. Minimal touch and the player goes down. The ref calls it and VAR doesn't overturn it as it wasn't a clear and obvious error since there was contact of some sort. If the ref looked at it again then maybe he'd reconsider.

11. Sian

Sian Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Let me rephrase ... only place where you can find the opinion that it wasn't an extremely soft penalty, is among some English

DutchFanatic repped this.
  12. Tass0

Tass0 Member

May 31, 2021
    Barcelona
    As a dane its been weird seeing other countries are more upset than us about the penalty. WE just move on.
    Im more pissed so many players were gassed so early in a Euro Semi. Should be playing on pure adrenalin. Once Dolberg and Damsgaard went off. The match was over

SF19 and Phillyspur repped this.
  13. Mr X

Mr X Member

Denmark
    Jun 6, 2012
    Do you have a link?
    If that's true then I'm really sorry. Stuff like that is really messed up. Just as you should probably distance yourself from some behavior from the English fans, instead of playing the victim card and crying "racist" when people get (rightfully) upset about certain abuse. that makes it seem as though you are defending that behavior. Or do you think you are the only fans in the world getting scrutinised? When Danish fans threw empty beer cups at the opposing goal keeper, people on reddit went crazy and this is despite Denmark being everyone's darling. And I was the first one apologizing. "the race card" is only legitimate if the things you are being criticized for are unfair or if people use certain incidents by a few to generalize and lump everyone into the same group. I haven't seen much of that happening. Certainly not in this thread. Most people (as far as I know) are very capable of distinguishing a few fans from the entire fan base.
    And finally, why are so many English fans this upset? You are in the final with a quality team. You should be out celebrating. this is such a waste of good energy.

14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Well once or twice can be OK, over a dozen time hardly is.
    And to do it a few dozen times and then complaining when someojne else does only real a-holes does.

15. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    It is a pitty about the "good" English fans being condemed by the rest, but at least they seem to be in a minority anyway judging from media and chants on the arena.

16. Phillyspur

Phillyspur Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Mar 18, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly. Those with the anti-England agenda will have it, win or lose, penalty or not.

Thanks to the Danish team for lighting up the tournament and raising spirits.

Any team would feel aggrieved if that penalty were given against them. But equally, any team would take it if it were given for them. If you can't admit that, no matter what country you support, you are not being honest.

SF19 repped this.