England v Turkey - Important if you live in the USA

Discussion in 'England' started by kerpow, Oct 3, 2003.

1. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Just found out that the England v Turkey game will not be available to home users. You MUST watch this in a bar. Just been on the phone to Setanta Sports who are showing this game and their new marketing strategy involves sales to bars rather than home viewers.

So that really blows for me as I live in a city of 1.3 million population yet no bars showing it. A few bars do show free games like World Cup but baulk at the price of PPV if only me and a friend of two come to watch it.

I guess I'll have to haul my ass up to Chicago or Columbus, Ohio for the game. Anyone planning to watch in these cities?

2. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I can't believe that. I've been paying them $20 a game for each qualifier leading up to this one. It looks like I wasted my money watching England play Macedonia and Liechtenstein, now that Sentana Sport isn't going to let me see the one game that actually matters. There is 1 quaifier left. Could they have waited one more game to change their marketing strategy?

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The qualifiers against small teams are almost always lacking in quality and excitement, that's the nature of the game, everybody wants to do the minimum possible to win and avoid injury (or so it always look). Friendlies are also poor due to Sven's overuse of subs and again players saving themselves for more important games.

But I can guarantee you that Turkey-England will be well worth $20 or a bit of travelling effort to watch. I can't gurantee end-to-end attacking football because there's a lot at stake, but because of that it will be tight and enthralling.

4. Matt Scholer

Matt Scholer New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    I believe this is going to be one of the most exciting qualifiers this year-if not THE most exciting one. Both teams can be lethal, and both are capable of pulling off a win. Though Turkey has the home field advantage, England is known to play decisive football against Stronger opponents, so it will be an exciting match to watch.

Good luck to both sides, of course I believe Turkey will win, but it won't be easy. I predict a 2-1 win. Turkey will score the first two goals, Then England will score around the 80th minute mark, and Turkey will try to hold onto the lead.

Turkeys goals by: Nihat and Sergen.
    Englands goal: Michael Owen (yep, he's not injured, its a tactical play by eriksson)

I also accept the fact that it might end up a tie, but I doubt England will win. If England gets a tie-that's all she needs to advance so there's no pressure there. it'll be a tight game.
    Good Luck, hope you all enjoy the match.

5. Aguilas Del America

Oct 28, 2002
    Nido de Coapa
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    arghh
    and ive been waiting for this game for so long..

6. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    And here was me so looking forward to the game, but what's the point in ponying up $20 now that I've been told exactly how it's going to go?
    (And a very cunning plan by Owen to twist his ankle like that against Arsenal on Saturday pretending to be injured; I could have sworn he was injured, especially when he went off and all, but it looks like I've been set right again.)

7. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This soccer bar locater may be of help to someone.
    Put a check mark on England vs Turkey. :)

http://linux967.dn.net/setanta/jsp/NA_venues.jsp

Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena will be charging $25 cover charge they say since it's a double header... Eeekk.. :(

8. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a satellite live feed for BBC UK and ITV at home for Turkey v England match.

Care to join in? ;)

9. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Join in? How 'bout move in? :)

10. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't exactly quiet get you. :)

11. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    How do you get a live feed for BBC and ITV?

12. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a joke on the fact that you must have a big satellite dish to get those channels and almost anyone here would love to live in a house with that could get those channels and the rest.
    That's a guess on the fact that your location says the northwest.. Assuming you mean the US Northwest as opposed to England. If it means England then ignore my post as may be best anyway...:)

13. basso001

basso001 Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Bay Area, Calif.
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Very helpful! Thanks.

b.

14. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Great link but.....

"There were no results within a 100 mile radius."

BBC and TalkSport have the game live on radio but not online.

15. SouthLondonYank

SouthLondonYank New Member

Aug 28, 2003
    South London
    It's a wind-up, the BBC doesn't even have the rights for the match - that was the whole controversy - Sky has the live rights and sold the delayed rights to ITV at the request of the FA to perhaps prevent the Burberry-set from travelling to Istanbul

16. Barish

Barish New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Istanbul, Turkey
    :D Easy, tiger...

17. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have all the BBC channels, including BBC UK. And I also have ITV.

I hope i get the Turkey v England match.

18. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I live in Washington State. :)

19. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Direct TV satellite dish.

20. galaxybg

galaxybg BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 28, 2003
    southern ca
    yes!

sooo good thanks! Harp in CM isn't showing the game, though.

21. relictele

relictele Member

Oct 9, 2003
    WV
    My e-mail to Setanta

Please add my voice who are disappointed in and disagree with your decision not to make the Turkey/England Euro 2004 qualifier available through home pay-per-view on DirecTV.

Ours is one of many households who have supported (read: paid for) your numerous broadcasts in the past, including lesser matches such as England/Liechtenstein, only to have a game of real importance be difficult, if not impossible, for many fans to enjoy. While you could not have foreseen the controversy this week surrounding Rio Ferdinand and the England team, it only adds to the dismay your loyal customers are experiencing at missing out on this match.

The bar/restaurant option is a non-starter for us and many fans due to the travel time involved. I am not anti-social, but I do not wish to pay a bar owner an additional fee to enter his establishment only to pay inflated prices for food and drink in a roomful of strangers when I could be watching from the comfort of my home. Satellite TV service has been a blessing in more ways than one as it overcomes the numerous limitations of cable and offers a consistent channel lineup even for users (like us) who have relocated several times.

The whole thing smacks of bait-and-switch tactics employed by unscrupulous boxing promoters. I fail to see how you think you will increase your audience/revenue by reducing potential viewers from the start. I have read elsewhere that this is either the first step or a test case in changing your marketing/distribution of international matches - if so, I urge you to reconsider this policy.

We are grateful that Setanta have made so many matches available through the years and wish the organization well in the future. However, we trust that customer feedback and/or the reduced revenue derived from this action will convince you to reinstate international matches via home PPV.

22. fatboy slim-fast

fatboy slim-fast New Member

Jul 23, 2003
    Jersey/NYC
    sucks for me and my friends cuz we are not "of age" to see the game in a bar.

23. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    what channel is ITV4 on direct tv? or BBC1 or BBC2? you dont get those thru direct tv buddy.. can be sure of that....

24. Barish

Barish New Member

Jun 28, 2003
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Why don't you guys check out some Turkish cafés around or make some Turkish friends with a satellite dish installed in their homes? These people mostly receive all the Turkish stations available via TurkSat II or III or something, that broadcasts over North America and they are all free. Particularly the state-owned TRT channels are always free, which mostly broadcast national matches. When I was visiting US last year I'd met some Turkish fellas who were able to follow some 30-odd Turkish channels this way regularly.

Buy them a six-pack and that'll do you. As long as you don't sit or step on The Crescent-Star you'll be as safe as an angel. If you lose you guarantee a consolation tap on the shoulder and a free Turkish coffee too. It all comes as a package. If you win... ah, that's not an option anyhow.

So we're not that bad after all. (Errr...okay, bad, but not that bad ;)

See what $25 cover charge does for world peace...

25. relictele

relictele Member

Oct 9, 2003
    WV
    Wish I could

Unfortunately, where I live the chance of even finding a Turkish household is roughly on a par with finding a polar bear or a kangaroo.