Pre-match: England v San Marino match thread [result]

Discussion in 'England' started by sinner78, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, most of us are long time England supporters mate, so, as the yanks say, duh! :D

three lions and fernb8 repped this.
  2. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    A win's a win, I guess. MOTM was obviously Hart, for staying awake for so long.

Shame about Walcott getting crocked.

We got a bit of fortune with Moldova drawing with Ukraine. Now if we win in Poland, we will be well placed in this Group.

3. Karloski

Karloski Member+

Oct 26, 2006
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I kind of called it. 10 men behind the ball...probably get to the half at 1-0 (maybe 0-0 if they rode their luck). Them tiring as the second half went on, with us getting a\another few goals.

Who the ******** cares if we didn't get a bucket load (gd is very unlikely to pay any part in the final outcome). The win was guaranteed before the game even kicked off, so if the team want to practice intricate passing and sneaky 0ne-twos between a pile of bodies..GOOD. The commentary by Townsend was a joke..impatient twat that he is. I especially liked the "you have to ask yourself how many Spain or Germany would put past this team"....errr, probably twice as many as us, because they're probably twice as good as our squad.

Would having big target men and more balls into the box early on have been a better tactic to use against the part timers bunker defence? Probably, but why bother? Let's use it to try and practice some slickness and patience.

RobTheFool repped this.
  4. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree.. A win was a formality, and I liked how we kept playing patient football. Pumping balls into the box may have got us more goals, but it's not the eight way to play..

A game like this is basically training, we should have probably won 8-0 with the chances missed (Carrick crossbar, Welbeck post, Cahill volley etc) We were very good in the first two thirds, we tried to pass quickly, but it wasn't a vintage performance by any means.

5. joma05

joma05 Member

May 7, 2009

Highlights of the Ukraine game, the guy who scored the wonder goal agaisnt us couldn't convert from 4 yards out, seems like Moldova where hanging on a bit although they did get a half chance to win it late on. I wonder what the reaction would of been on here if that was England, would we be saying it was a luck result for Moldova, or saying how awful the England team was.

6. bluejon

bluejon Member

May 30, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    SPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  7. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club: