England v Germany & Sweden v Ukraine (R)

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Iranian Monitor, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    After the duo of matches yesterday which had more drama and goals than anyone could have hoped for, six (Denmark, Italy, Czech Rep., Italy, Spain, and Switzerland) of the last 8 have emerged and they don't include some favorites and contenders. These last 2 games will then conclude the R-16:

England v Germany, which I see a toss up: I will root for the Germans but won't feel much of a loss if it is England who advance instead; and

Sweden v Ukraine, which will likely be the only R-16 match I'll skip. While Sweden is a good side,and the side likely to advance tonight, neither Sweden nor Ukraine are sides which interest me much. But who knows: I might end up watching this match as well

2. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have this strange feeling that Germany will win the Euros, if they beat England. Hate to see that.

HomietheClown repped this.
  3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    No chance. Even if Germany were to beat England they would screw it up against Sweden or Denmark in the later rounds. Germany are just not consistent.

4. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I'll give my prediction for England - Germany only when I see the line ups but I strongly lean England.

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Hence

If England win today my Final would be
    Belgium - England

If Germany win today I revert back to my pre-tournament Final pick.
    Belgium - Denmark

6. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    The rumur out of the England camp is that Southgate is going to basically start 8 defensive players in a 3-4-3, then Saka, Kane and Sterling.

Which is a remarkably stupid way to go about losing this game and your job.

7. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Terrible, I am disgusted.

It is one thing to fell out, another thing is fell out with our best talent on the bench.

People still not realising that you dont only take a risk when you do something, you also take when you do not do something..

8. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Rooting for Germany because I don't like the fact England will potentially play every match in London other than the QF. This was supposed to be a multi-venue Euro, and England should have had to go to different venues to prove their worth, like all the other sides.

9. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    I mean, imagine being more scared of losing than wanting to win. At home.

Petersonnn repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I also have this feeling.

Germany seems to play their best when no one is expecting them to do anything.

I hope Italy wins it all though.

11. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    If England somehow manage to bore their way through today, I'd rate them to go to the final and lose to Belgium.

If Germany win, I'm tipping Denmark to the final to win.

12. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Italy is also a bogey team for Germany.

13. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The good thing is that England or Germany is going out today.
    Hopefully the winner then loses against Denmark.

adi21 repped this.
  14. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I would love it if Denmark won the whole thing now.

adi21 repped this.
  15. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    1-0 England after 90 minutes.

16. JoseEmidio

JoseEmidio Member+

Dec 6, 2009
    London
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They have won it before, would prefer a new winner like Belgium. Though would be perfectly ok with Denmark winning it, of the teams that have won it.

17. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    That's a borderline red...

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    England getting crushed in this "let's only play two experienced attackers including one who's had a poor tournament" lineup. Plus, only one change so they're more likely to be tired. It's like Southgate wants to have lots of attacking options in minute 110.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Another defender right next to the play, I think it's OK as a yellow.

20. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's always a dumb decision to match up with an opponent as opposed to trying to take the initiative and make them worry about you. Especially when you consider Kane has been complete trash all tournament. Like, right now their front three is completely isolated and isn't seeing the ball. Who out there is going to connect defense and attack?

Casper repped this.
  21. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    What has to be frustrating for an England fan is that you can see how close they are to having a really well balanced team. Grealish OR Foden for Rice OR Phillips and you are in much better shape.

They have a Harry Kane-shaped problem. He's a net negative-not fast enough to play on the shoulder and not quick enough to play between the lines. What's the point of him right now?

Cosmin10 and SF19 repped this.
  22. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    England now starting to take control of the game now, well that is what it sounds like on the radio. Should be home for the 2nd half

23. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    It's pretty sterile control unfortunately. Between the 18's England are comfortable enough but there's zero cutting edge in the final third. The wingbacks are having some joy but Kane is absent.

24. Editor In Chimp

Editor In Chimp Member+

Sep 7, 2008
    Sorry to harp on it, but even an average-form Kane finishes that instead of doing...whatever that was.

25. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I think Kane has value. The problem is that he's still nursing his ankles. Hard for him to contribute to his best.

One of Grealish, Foden, or Saka will have to step in his stead. I'm not sure how much more Sterling is capable of doing. Good player Sterling, but when England need a rabbit out of the hat, I would have to think it's going to be at least one of those other three who have to produce. Sterling is a little too limited by the quality of the football played around him. Grealish, Saka and Foden are capable of making things happen out of nothing, regardless of the supporting cast. In a game like this, that is what's probably needed because Germany are arguably equal or better than England player for player. Germany could in theory win the better of the battles on the field in almost every area of the pitch. That's where someone with some special class can tip the scales back in England's favor.

Editor In Chimp repped this.