England V Germany in the R16??

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Knockout Rounds' started by TheTreasurer, May 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Real chacne fo this match happenign now with ballack out of the world cup. Would be an absolute cracker. This is huge because if it occurs then the Chances of England winning the world cup are dramatically reduced.

2. supaeagles

supaeagles Member

Feb 20, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  3. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    I have tickets for this match regardless-how much would they be worth if it actually happened?-answer -p l e n t y

Still won't happen.
    I can't believe he's actually 100% ruled out already-you'd think they would give him plenty of time to get ready

4. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    With Ballack now confirmed to be out and Podolski and Klose in garbage form. This match has every chance of occurring

5. --X--

--X-- New Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    80 years of WCs tells me it won't mate.Besides I really want Eng v Aus:cool:

6. whiskerxx

whiskerxx Member+

May 30, 2006
    You've been to 80 years of world cups??? :eek:

Your even older than me!!!! :D

7. Gronum

Gronum Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    only by a whisker...

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I'm glad someone reads the stickies.

Thread moved.

9. hirtme

hirtme Member

Nashville SC
    May 2, 2006
    Nashville
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I have England Serbia, but you might get the Aussies. I got Germany USA and hopefully the ref sees a handball on the line this WC :)

Yes, Germany has the belief and history, but there talent level is down. I don't see them getting too far.

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The German talent level is by far the highest since decades but it's more or less a U23, so the team is unpredictable. Ballack will be missed, though. I would love a meeting between England and Germany but if we miss at the Round of 16, then we could meet in the final. This would be HUGE.

11. lordantwarrior

lordantwarrior New Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I must say that as an England fan, the only team that genuinely terrifies me ('Terrify' as in I absolutely don't want to face) is Germany.

Even Brasil, Spain- I wouldn't be too happy facing them, but they are both beatable IMO. But Germany, always finds a way to squeak past even the best teams in WCs.

12. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So when were England's chances dramatically higher? OK, when they hired Capello.

I think this England team are not much better or worse than most England teams. They're not world beaters for sure, but Capello I think is the type of coach who'll get the best out of them. they've drawn a bracket that could see them going all the way to the semis where they'll get dumped out by Brazil.

Serbia could give Germany some real competition for top place in their group, so an England Germany meeting in the second round is not outside the realm of possibility. If it happens I think this will be England's best chance of defeating them in years. But as we all know, no matter how badly the Germans play they always find a way to win.

Heh! Maybe the Germans will play well and lose.

13. lordantwarrior

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Define 'World Beaters'.

And we beat Germany the last time we played them. In fact we beat them just as often as they beat us. It's just in World Cups, Germany always find a way to get past us.

14. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which is all that matters.

15. lordantwarrior

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nobody said it wasn't. I'm highlighting Germany's ultimate strength in being a 'tournament team'.

16. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Which is England's ultimate weakness :p

17. lordantwarrior

Jun 21, 2009
    Pontefract, England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes and no.

England are still a consistant Quarter-Finalist. We don't have a bad record, we're just lagging far behind all the other former World Cup winners.

Let's face it, talent is rarely the biggest issue for England. It's mentality. Same scenario with the Dutch.

18. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    and european championships

19. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    England are consistent quarter finalists, they have a better record than they get credit for. However they reach their level of competence but don't have the wherewithal to go further. Only twice have they gone further than the quarters in WC tournaments which, as has been pointed out, is what counts.

What I mean by world beaters are those few teams who have the depth, the technical talent and the pedigree of winning major tournaments like the World Cup. If you look at a list of finalists from the past 30 years it is dominated by Brazil, Germany, Italy, Argentina and lately France. England are at a level just below those, but the gap in quality is quite wide.

After the last world cup Marcello Lippi remarked that England just don't have the depth to be a serious WC contender. That lack can be made up by shrewd coaching, substitutions and tactical changes to affect the outcome of a game and England have that in Capello, which is why I think England can get to the semis this year, but no further.

20. JamesthePeach

JamesthePeach New Member

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You bring up an interesting point, one that deserves a discussion of its own. What exactly is a good tournament team? In a tournament, a team has to peak at just the right time, they find a way to win even if they're playing badly. They might have an unimpressive start but get stronger as the tournament goes on. Thorough preparation, a mentality of winning, flexible tactics and shrewd substitutions are critical. That's astute coaching. You also make your own luck to some degree. I could go, but I'd be hijacking the thread.

21. benztown

benztown Member+

Jun 24, 2005
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    As a Germany supporter, I actually think it would be better for us to come in second in our group, as the route to the final would be easier.

Should Germany win the group, first I have them meet the US, and then Argentina and then Spain are waiting in the next two rounds, the two biggest favorites for the title if you ask me.

On the other side, I have England, South Africa and the Netherlands as obstacles before the final.

But I expect Germany to win the group, so I guess we won't meet England before the final ;)

22. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see SA making it out of the group stage. I know that the host nation usually makes it out but SA would not of even qualified had the WC been outside of SA. I have France and Mexico making it out.

I think the US will play Germany in the round of 16. Which can be interesting with the players who have experience in Germany as well as LD having a chip on his shoulder about his experience in the Budesliga. Also, maybe some payback for 2002.

23. RunningBackwards

RunningBackwards New Member

Apr 24, 2010
    Agreed, chances are SA won't make it out of the group stage. Not unless they seriously get their act together and the fans support totally lifts their game to new levels.

24. Seymour_Gunner

Nov 23, 2007
    Seymour CT USA
    Since 1990 Germany has lost to less than the best (Croatia and Bulgaria in QF); If you were to consider Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, France, England, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain and Czech Republic as top 10 teams;
    Germany in 1992 Euros drew against Netherlands, in 94 a draw against Spain,
    96 Draws against Italy, England, and win over Czech, 98 did not face any of the above, 2000 EC lost to Portugal and England, 20-02, lost to Brazil. 2004,
    Lost to Czech Rep Draw against Netherlands, 2006 Draw against Argentina lost to Italy (Beat Portugal in the meaningless 3rd place match), 2008 beat Portugal and lost to Spain.

Little luck of draw and good solid in PK shooting has been more of a factor in Germany's success. This is not to take away anything from them, after all you only can beat the team playing against you, but their record against top teams is not impressive. In addition in Confederation cup and and in qualifying their record against top 10 team is not all that impressive.

They do however, rarelyt beat themselves, and take for most part take care of business against the smaller team unless the "smaller" teams happen to be exceptional (Croatia in 98 and Bulgaria in 94).

25. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    Germany is really good this time, yet everyone seems to overlook them for some reason. Personally I think they are the third most likely to win the whole thing, behind Brazil and Spain.

Mesut Ozil will be a household name, if he isn't already.