England v Germany • 9 Nov 2019, Wembley • DAS MEGA-SPIEL

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    to be honest she just strikes me to hit the ball and hope for the best
    I think she really tries to be a leader of England though

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    England just aren’t a very well coached team. They don’t pressure the ball as a team at all. Even in the final third of their part of the pitch. First goal is the same error this team has made over and over. No pressure in wide areas, passive defending and then a cross for an unmarked player in the middle of the box.This has happened throughout Neville’s reign so it’s not going to change now.

Steph Houghton on the final goal was just sad. Plenty of people think she’s been past it for a while now.

blissett repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Another weird Phil Neville issue. He did a press interview talking about instilling a mentality into his players. Being against them going on walks to coffee shops before a game (among other things). Today some of the players went for a walk to a coffee shop 22 hours before the game. #CoffeeGate

4. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    "And now a word from the FA's new sponsors... NESCAFE? Aaargh"

[​IMG]

blissett and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    England's last seven matches:

Lost 2-1 vs USA (WC semi)
    Lost 2-1 vs Sweden (WC 3/4 po)
    Drew 3-3 vs Belgium (friendly)
    Lost 2-1 vs Norway (friendly)
    Lost 2-1 vs Brazil (friendly)
    Won 1-0 vs Portugal (friendly)
    Lost 2-1 vs Germany (friendly)

England play Czech Republic on Tuesday. Time for a much needed W again, or do the Czechs have a few surprises up their sleeves? :sneaky:

blissett and kolabear repped this.
  6. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    England have a lot of talent but that squad needs to get a bit tougher defensively.

7. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's very close on the onside/offside call because of the defender farther from the camera, not the two defenders closest to White. It seems like a totally acceptable call by the AR

blissett and Ethan Frank repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Czecho's rating (1682) is almost identical to Portugal's (1671) and the two of them are noticeably weaker than the next lowest-rated team Belgium (1817)
    Belgium (1817) and Norway (1925) were also away games, weren't they? 100 points is the estimated homefield rating advantage.

9. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Yeah, not freezing right at the point of contact and not recognizing the defender further away has led to a number of people thinking this was a clear cut offside play. It wasn't though.

10. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Maybe not excessive since she didn't go straight in with exposed studs, but that was (expletive) high. I'm not going to say Mead milked it when that was such an awful challenge.

11. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Maybe your advice would have still worked, but the keeper's leg wasn't up there because she was diving to her right. She pretty clearly reacted to Parris' shot and intentionally got her leg up there, and she would have done the same thing if Parris had hit her shot softly. (Whether or not she would have saved a softer shot, who knows?) Parris is in poor form on PKs, but I actually do give Frohms a fair bit of credit on that PK. In hindsight, what Parris needed to do was get a fair bit of height on her straight down the middle effort. [Lampard (and probably a fair few other players) typically hit his straight down the middle efforts with plenty of pace, and he had a good PK record.)

12. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Any one else confused by how Popp's header got by Earps so easily? Regardless, she didn't look like her Man Utd self on that play.

Edit: Still don't think Earps looked good on the play, but I keep on seeing a potential deflection off Houghton, which may have slightly thrown Earps off.

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    from reading an English forum, posters keep on insisting the best CB's right now are both from Man U, and both conveniently named Turner(Amy & Millie), are they sisters?
    Earps I 've seen at Wolfsburg, but didn't impress me(though she barely got to start at WOB)
    English fans are cyring now & want to sack Neville & hire Jill Ellis, But that's after Casey Stoney, Emma Hayes & Lauren Harvey seemingly rejected private orders(and got the feeling JE would likewiws/ want to take a break.

Neville been definite underwhelming, but with all the hoopla of the FA lately(buying some the best players in Europe lately/well balanced squads) they still seem to be missing a certain something(like some of what you just mentioned).
    Compare to Germans Bundesliga where they will battle tooth n nail every single inch of the playing field, It's sometimes not pretty to look, but very effective. Turbine Potsdam barely pays it's players, but it's school or brand of soccer has produced amazing amount of top soccer players even among foreingers. Even most of the Dutch had their starts at German clubs before getting better offers elsewhere. Same with the Norwegian duo(Hansen/Hegerberg) or even the Americans Krieger & Harris(both played at Turbine)/
    So in England's case(and could say the same with Lyon/or even with the men's Premier League) just buying the world's best players is enough,

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the German full game replay. One thing nice is they only go with one commentator, thus you get to hear the play by play more

Mills and blissett repped this.
  15. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    It's a pity that we won't see Germany next year in Tokyo...
    Bühl, Gwinn, and Oberdorf are players for the future... also add Gasper, Pawollek, Lohmann, and Siems one day and Germany might have a bright future ahead :thumbsup:

Germany has a really good squad and I personally think that some of the "old" guard should be renewed with younger players

Mills repped this.
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    No they aren’t sisters. Millie is from close to where I live. Whereas Amy is from Yorkshire (She has a sister that plays for Barnsley). I haven’t seen much at all of Man Utd so can’t comment but Neville has been accused of ignoring WSL players’ form since he got the job.

England used to battle tooth and nail under Sampson. That was arguably their best quality. Now that has all been sacrificed by a poor coach implementing a passive passing style. I wasn’t even a big Sampson fan but at least his teams didn’t play like fools.

Mills repped this.
  17. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    I don't believe they're sisters. A. Turner's been playing at RB bar one match where she played at CB, and I don't think she's been top notch good. (I'd even say she was quite shaky against Reading at times.) I do think M. Turner's been fantastic and a reasonable shout for the best CB in the WSL right now.

18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #43 hotjam2, Nov 11, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    German coach, MVT is definitely a disciple of Jorgie Low, her defenders often overlap their fwds to become part of their attack. This however can leave the back exposed, not just the flanks, but GE was essentially playing with just one CB. The only way to take advantage of that is to counter & do it quickly(before their defenders get back). Unfortunately.that ain't Neville's style, he firnly believes in first taking over the midfield & only then moving up, which seems in sharp contrast with the (I believe) majority English style of booting/long balling to the runners upfront for fast breaks/counters. Here in North America, the lanscape is dotted with UK coaches & obviously their style of play. So don't; know why Neville got hired if he don't want to play traditional English tactics? And then of all things, fast in transaction type teams came in 1,2,3 at the 2019 WC(don't know though if that's going to last as compared to the men's WC where we see ever changing tactics)

Got the feeling Neville's only in there cuz almost nobody wants the job since there's going to be tough decisions on who's going to be on the GB squad The roster for the Olympics will be only 18 players(reduced from 23). Then he's got give some spots to the other federations as well as heed the cries for new blood. Right now he still might have his players support, but once he starts making cuts(for the GB squad) the ones that don't make it are going to turn on him

19. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's the English full game version

Mills repped this.
  20. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She’s available, mate. :sneaky:

[​IMG]

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. Ethan Frank

Ethan Frank Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Jun 11, 2019
    Well, Little and Fishlock (if fit) are getting into that squad under any coach. No one should turn on Neville for their inclusions. Cuthbert, Weir, Evans, Ingle, etc.? Not exactly Neville's fault that he has to look at so many players for just 18 spots, so no one who's cut should turn on him unless her form really warranted an inclusion.

Mills repped this.
  22. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Fishlock sufferd an ACL this last summer, the road to recovery can be rough! I would say if Neville don't pick at least 3 non English players, they'll be some backlash as well. Except for maybe Lucy Bronze, there's not much parity from his second best to his 23rd/the second stirngers are pretty even with his first. Beth Mead is probably England's 2nd best player, but on her Arsenal squad I would pick Miedema, van de Donk & heck, even Jill Roord over her. Elllen White might look good, but that's cuz all the balls are spoon fed to her & she did get exposed by VAR for cheating quite a few times at the WC...Neville definitely needs new blood, especially after MVT used 3 teen starters. Allready Kirby didn't make the roster, there's more to come.........
    except for Buhl & Oberdorf the others you mentioned tend to be technical players when Germany needs is a little more speed. Thankly the Hoffenheim club been shooting up the league with their run n gun style. They got 9 German starters, so there's plenty for MVT to choose from. So far, cept for WOB they've beaten everybody(including BM). Take a look at highlights where they slaughter 4th ranked Essen(with it's many MVT & Meinert lovey dovies on their squad)
    TSG Hoffenheim - SGS Essen | 4. Spieltag, 19/20 | MAGENTA SPORT - YouTube
    the hero of this particular game is Hartig(#13) with an hatrick, but star usually is the right-side winger, Wassmuth(#28) look for her at about 2.40 mark of the video. She might just be Germany's fastest player ever!

probably MVT is taking her time capping those two, since really there's nothing else to do till Euro 2021. GE is currently destroying it's Euro qualifying opponents by the score of 31-0 in only 4 games