England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Wolves are on the lookout for another striker so I do wonder if once they have signed one they will let Gibbs- White go.

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I don't think there is any connection. Gibbs-White is not a striker, and he played behind Hwang as a second striker on Saturday as well.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #12953 Fireburn47, Aug 14, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    Chelsea want Anthony Gordon which I’m not sure would be good for his immediate development considering they want him as an understudy to Reece James. But if it works off he won’t be James understudy for England but more likely replacing a big name player.

4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Man United wants to sell Garner according todays news.
    Forest would seem a logical target, but in the meantime they have added quite a few players to the midfield. I don't know what else could be considered.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The Daily Mail say Spurs are interested in him along with Forest and also say Everton, Southampton and Leeds have also considered a making a move for him.

hussar repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The best thing for him and his development is to get a long away from that car crash of a football Club otherwise he might just sink with everyone else there.

hussar repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Curious to see Angel Gomes has started the first two games of the season as a deep lying midfielder at Lille, something Man U were trying out with him but he moved back to a forward player after leaving. Hopefully he can establish himself there, certainly a genuine playmaker is something England lack at all levels.

Balogun also scored in his second game for Reims leaving him with 2 in 2 which is good to see after he struggled a lot last season. Hopefully he can have an establishing season abroad kind of like Nmecha had with Anderlecht (though to Germany's benefit). Maybe we don't want him doing too well before the world cup though as the USA striker position is wide open......

wellno and AJ123 repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think Balogun would have to apply by about the end of next month if he wanted to switch. It takes times to process the paperwork with Fifa.

9. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He played in that role quite a few times for the U17s IIRC.

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I looked at Gomes's stats for the two games and he averaged 78 passes per game at 89% pass completion. He was subbed around the 85 minutes mark in both games. Like you say hopefully it continues and he can establish himself in that position.

11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Alex Scott got MoTM last night for Bristol City on whoscored. He's the most established player of the u19 Euro winning side so I don't think it will be too long before he gets in the u21 side.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That fee is mental. I guess Cooper knows him well from the U17’s.

roverman and Jenks repped this.
  13. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah I absolutely love it when managers buy English players but he can't be worth that much? Haaland only cost 10 mil more

roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    To be fair that was because of his pretty low release clause and relatively short contract at Dortmund.

Gibbs- White must be the most expensive English player to have never played for the seniors surely with this fee.

Wolves down to just Kilman as an regular English player.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    PL clubs have so much money now that they can hold out for silly money if they don’t want to sell. Wolves have played this well.

16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The Haaland deal is was atypical but not because it was cheap. There was a low release clause in the BVB contract and Haaland's agent (his dad so the money stays in the family) took advantage of this to demand huge agent fees from potential buyers.

Man City paid £34m in agent fees plus whatever wages he's on will be obscene plus he's negotiated another low release clause that limits his sell on value to Man City.

17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    AWB holds that dubious honour.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    If all add ons are met Gibbs-White is the 11th highest fee ever paid for an English player.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I forgot about him. Palace are apparently going to buy him back for about 1/5-1/4 of what they got for him.

20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The BBC are reporting it as £25m + £17m add ons.

It depends on how hard to activate the add ons are but that sounds a lot less crazy.

21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    City also accepted a buy-out clause I think so any profit is capped. Haaland wants to play in all the major leagues apparently whilst his dad gets really rich off it at the same time. Worth noting that £34m on agent fees is usually a big spend for the biggest clubs across all transfers. £34m for one player is eye watering.

It's funny how people obsess over transfer fees alone when the total package is transfer fee + wages + agent (and other hangers on) fees.

Still a massive fee for MGW considering he has one good season at Championship level. At least such a fee should mean he'll get a game time!

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I wonder what players could top that in the coming years.? Gordon by next week is the obvious immediate one followed Bellingham Rice and maybe Bowen In the coming years. Saka, Mount or James could be massive moves if any of them did want to leave their current clubs. Gallagher will be around that if Chelsea sell him anytime soon with Colwill not that far behind.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Wolves are virtually shipping out all the English players and stocking up on Portuguese

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Bowen will either run down his contract and go for less or sign a big extension IMO.

Although Gibbs-White only had two years left on his deal so maybe.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    And now a days signing a contract around the start of the season and going the next summer is not entirely uncommon - Grealish for example. At least that gets your old club more money.

It’s being rumoured one of the add on’s for Gibbs - White is money has to be paid if he gets an England cap.