England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe someone like Paul Clement would like to raise their profile in the English game again. He has a lot of experience working with players of every level.

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    The bookies' favourite is Justin Cochrane. I don't know him, but looks like someone very appreciated in the England youth setup.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah he seems to be very well liked so if I was a guessing man, I think he could get the job and I would be fine with that. Here’s what Southgate said about him so I think he would approve:

“We have some very good young black coaches coming through our development teams. Justine Cochrane is somebody who I think, within our group of national coaches, he is going to be a top coach.”

A bit more information on Cochrane:

Cochrane, who lists the UEFA Pro Licence and a degree in leadership and management among his qualifications, spoke about his philosophy when he wrote for the FA’s website upon his appointment as Under-15s coach in 2018:

“I’d like to play an attacking style of football and give the players freedom to make their own decisions. As a coach, you have to be flexible and adapt to the type of players that you work with.”

4. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    McDermott obviously rates Cochrane, he worked under McDermott in the Tottenham Academy structure and he was recently promotion to the U17s role.

Interesting interview/podcast with him below.

wellno repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

W.A.S.P., Jenks, hussar and 1 other person repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Trevor Sinclair confirmed he’s applying for the vacant U21 job and I think he said the closing date for applications was the 2nd May. Anyway, will be interesting to see who has applied for this job.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Trevor Sinclair was found guilty of racially abusing a white guy.
    If he gets the job it’s a clear example of black privilege. BLM would never shut up if Terry was even linked with the job.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who did he abuse?

10. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Trevor Sinclair or John Terry would be good options for the role

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It was a police officer, when he was arrested for drink-driving.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    WeekendSleeper repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Zach Jeacock could be another option to look out for in the next cycle, just 19 years old and I think made his debut in goal for Birmingham today.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    They don't ********ing learn do they. His most recent 'managerial experience' amounts to getting fired by Southend for relegating them to League Two. Why on earth is the bar being set so low that that is seen as a positive?

The FA are presumably looking at the international caps and his level of talent as signs he would be a good mentor and role model ...but this is SOl Campbell. The guy Peter Crouch described as the laziest person who he had ever trained with. The guy who said this to his team mates at Portsmouth:
    Or from the same article, the man who produced this corker of an argument for why he should be given a job in the England set up:
    Young players need help staying grounded and dealing with the mental side of the game - look at Ramsdale crying on the pitch after Boothroyd threw his players under the bus - they aren't going to get that from someone as arrogant and self absorbed as Sol Campbell.

The icing on the cake? The last time Campbell was in the news (other than the SOuthend relegation thing) was for spreading conspiracy theories that COVID may be genetically engineered to target certain blood types. I genuinely think Campbell would be an order of magnitude worse than any of the other recent U21 appointments.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be honest, I would be surprised if he got the job judging from what you have found out about him. He just doesn’t sound like a guy you would trust in a development side at all. I had no idea about all that, lol but surely the guys within the FA do. Maybe it’s just a bit of publicity to show they are taking diversity seriously.

17. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--

18. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    I'd be horrified if a comedy act like Campbell got the role. This is an important job, second only to Southgate's it can't just be awarded for political reasons to fulfill ethnic quotas. People like Campbell and Sinclair must assume that their skin colour entitles them to privileged status but nothing they have ever done warrants even a second glance. Even Cochrane, his record hasn't been great at all in the age groups he's managed. If the new manager has to be black to fit current trends then Chris Hughton would be the only person from this country worth considering on merit and I can't see that happening.Chris Otherwise you look abroad like the PFA did.
    I don't know why there aren't more successful black managers than there are but promoting somebody way above their ability or accomplishments is not going to do anything to help to solve the issue. There's already plenty of ethnic minorities involved in the English system in various capacities so the FA is more than doing its bit for the cause as it is. Don't undermine in by bringing a deluded egotist like Sulzeer in.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and TopBanana10 repped this.
  19. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Looking purely at footballing side of things, Campbell took on an impossible job at Macclesfield and led them to safety - massively against the odds. They were then relegated for financial irregularities the season after which gives some idea of the conditions he was working under.

He then tried to keep Southend in League 1, again an impossible job, and failed. There was talk from those who cover League 1 and League 2, that Southend had the worst squad in the EFL when they were in League 1.......they have since subsequently been relegated in their first season in League 2 and are now in the national league and are going absolutely nowhere with Ron Martin as owner.

He has been given 2 impossible jobs, and rather than getting any credit for succeeding in one - he gets criticised for failing in the other.

He obviously has some character flaws, but he has tried to get out and do the right things in his coaching journey - and had to go far lower than any similar calibred players have had to do so - I think it would be an interesting appointment.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If he gets the job then I think we should get behind him and let’s see what he can do but just have my reservations regarding his character flaws but that said, maybe he has changed over time as that’s not inconceivable. Anyone got any insight into his tactical approach?

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would rather hire someone from academy football that is widely regarded as talented within the industry that get another egotist into the job.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Going to agree with you again there. It would be quite worrying if Campbell was appointed with his scant track record in coaching and his fragile ego, but I don't really believe that he's a serious contender. None of the broadsheets have picked up the story and most of the bookies still have Cochrane as favourite.

23. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Skipp has had to have surgery on a metatarsal fracture. I think Mourinho genuinely rated him (unlike U21 teammate Ryan Sessegnon or Winks) so will be interesting to see what the new manager makes of the lad after he recovers.

There was also a rumour couple of months ago that he might be the Sancho replacement at Dortmund.

24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think he gets hired based alone on his ego.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Why would the FA need to hire a recruiting agency to help them find the next U21 manager? Surely there’s enough football people involved with the FA to try and find the best candidate for the job but then again, they employed Boothroyd......

Anyway, anyone know anything about this recruitment firm and if they are likely to be reliable in appointing a manager we can respect?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...erts-aid-hunt-new-England-U21-head-coach.html