England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He's a slight 17 year old playing against guys a fair bit older than him so not putting him through a full 90 unnecessarily seems sensible even if he won't be playing on the weekend.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Snap.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I guess so but I thought he was coping just fine and would liked to see him stay on a while yet then again you could say the same for CHO, he’s not likely coming off for fear of burnout.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Justin has been excellent too.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jones is a class act!

roverman repped this.
  6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    A Future England Senior International, you might say.

dbs235, wellno, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don’t think your old mate was wrong on this one ;)

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Didn't think he was wrong at the time, to be honest with you. He was a decent judge of a player, whatever else he was.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Aye, that he was to be fair.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Going to be interesting to see what sort of final squad Boothroyd will pick or be able to pick going into the finals. I mean you have the status quo of players that played tonight and last Friday but will players like Greenwood, Foden, James, Bellingham and Saka be available come March I wonder as don’t think any of them are what you called established like Sancho, Rice, Mount and TAA.

11. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #11236 Gaz811, Nov 17, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    You could come up with an U21 side barring maybe centrebacks and goalie that wouldn't look out of place for a senior side.

roverman repped this.
  12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    England have 3 games again in March, so that will presumably mean another expanded squad which will hit our under 21 options you would think.

Certainly I don't see Saka, Foden or James dropping back down. Greenwood and Bellingham perhaps, depending on how their seasons go.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    roverman repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So we have the group games in March and then if we advance to the knockout games its in May/June. I wonder when you name the Squad for March, that’s also the squad for the knockout round or can you change? The common sense answer in me would suggest that the squad announced for the group games would be the squad for the knockout games however a lot can happen in the space of a couple of months, ie injuries, Covid-19 ( maybe ), so maybe there’s some flexibility but can’t see anywhere where it says about the squads.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  17. Bit of a keeper injury crisis at Stoke, so Bursik has been recalled and will be the No.1 for the next 6-7 weeks

18. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I didn't think you were allowed to recall outside of a window? Presumably Doncaster can now bring in an emergency loan.

FWIW, I watched Bursik in League 1 recently and he was excellent, his footwork and passing was as good as I've seen from a keeper outside of the top flight

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Bursik told Radio Stoke last night: “I’ve had a lot of loans – I think this is my fourth – and the really beneficial ones were when I went into non-league. I started at Hednesford in the Conference North for a couple of months and then went on to Telford.

“In that short time you learnt so much about the game. I would advise the same for any young keeper. I was a bit reluctant to go at first, I wasn’t sure about the level or what challenges I’d face, but I’m so glad Andy and Danny pushed me to get that loan. It really set me up.

“I made a big jump from Conference North to League One, there’s no getting around that, and I’ really good I did. I got my pro debut under John Coleman and I can’t thank him enough for that.

“The things you learn as a keeper are all pretty much the same. It’s dealing with things like crosses, loads of shots… I don’t think it changes too much when you move up the leagues. Obviously it gets quicker and you come up against better quality players but the job remains the same.

“I think it’s good I learned those lessons at a young age. It gives you a chance to see where you’re at. I’m really enjoying it at Donny at the moment, learning a different side of the game because they’re a good football side.

“I’m involved a lot, the centre-halves are giving me the ball under pressure and the gaffer wants us to play out from the back.

“There are different challenges compared to Accrington, which was more old school football in terms of me as a keeper kicking it long at goal-kicks and facing more shots.

“You have to learn from everything and try my best to improve.”

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/stoke-city-doncaster-joe-bursik-4718265

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He looked very good with his feet for the U21s.

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, damn good that team. Can you do a ‘B’ team eleven also, I don’t know how to do it on this format but I bet that’s very strong also.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think that’s kind of relevant from the game I’ve been watching him here tonight against Rennes. I know he’s scored their goal with a composed finish but other than that it just feels like he’s playing it safe which I was a bit disappointed because he has the beating of the lad he was against but for whatever reason he didn’t seem to fancy it. I don’t think he will have done enough to force himself into the starting eleven. Don’t get me wrong, he didn’t play badly by any means but maybe I have high expectations of him.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Bellingham v Club Brugge

ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks repped this.