England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    David Hurford repped this.
  2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Kent, Worrall and Ejaria all played well for Rangers today, 3-1 vs Rapid Vienna.

David Hurford and TopBanana10 repped this.
  3. #8853 WizardOfTheDribble, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    David Hurford and ChristianSur repped this.
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The Squad

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Sheffield United, loan from Manchester United), Angus Gunn (Southampton), Freddie Woodman (Newcastle United)

Defenders: Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Jake Clarke-Salter (Vitesse Arnhem, loan from Chelsea), Dael Fry (Middlesbrough), Jonjoe Kenny (Everton), Ezri Konsa (Brentford), Fikayo Tomori (Derby County, loan from Chelsea), Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham Hotspur), Aaron Wan-Bissaka (Crystal Palace)

Midfielders: Harvey Barnes (West Bromwich Albion, loan from Leicester City), Lewis Cook (AFC Bournemouth), Tom Davies (Everton), Kieran Dowell (Everton), Josh Onomah (Sheffield Wednesday, loan from Tottenham Hotspur)

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Aston Villa, loan from Chelsea), Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Ademola Lookman (Everton), Reiss Nelson (Hoffenheim, loan from Arsenal), Ryan Sessegnon (Fulham), Dominic Solanke (Liverpool)

ChristianSur repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ejaria unlucky not to be included? Have to ask, not seen him lately for Rangers so that’s why I’m asking.

Good to see Harvey Barnes in there and glad to see him sticking with Lookman :)

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    RE Ejaria - I think so. Hes not a very Boothroyd player though, plus the reputation of Scottish football won't help.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just another point, no RLC. Not sure what to make of that? Is that because he didn’t want to drop down after being with the seniors at a World Cup or has Southgate/Boothroyd made the call because he’s deemed above this level now? Idk but he needs games so I would have had him here.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Boothroyd has likely just forgotten RLC like he did with Winks in the last squad. He really is awful in all areas.

Sessegnon would benefit a lot more from playing full back with the U19’s. Foden will be fine at this level but he would also be better of at U19 level.

Nice to see Barnes rewarded. Even with the promotions it’s a strong squad.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    A strong squad that Boothroyd will make look like amateur outfit!

Did he really forget about Winks? That’s unbelievable tbh and a guy that gets paid a lot of money to just manage this age group is quite bizarre.

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    To be fair, RLC is a) just back from a minor injury and b) unlikely to be part of the group by summer. It might be down to Boothroydery but there are reasons to leave him out.

wellno repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well he was fit enough for Spurs’ first team and Boothroyd ignored him. Maybe ChristianSur is right and he won’t pick him because he won’t be in the finals but how can he predict that when his season is pretty much already in the toilet? He might not even start 10 games this season.

RLC like Winks before him could do with game time in competitive games as well.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Winks is with the seniors, isn't he?

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I agree with this. I don't think you can rule out Loftus-Cheek going to the Euros this summer, if anything he probably needs it. Everyone knows he's already well behind schedule and he'll be short on games all year. Could be perfect for him. Just a worrying trend that we over promote players and never drop them back down again.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, but in the previous call ups he was not and was still not in the U21 squad.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's possible but I think it's unlikely. As far as I can see, there are three broad possibilities: either he makes a breakthrough at Chelsea, he stays on the fringes and gets a January loan, or he stays on the fringes for the whole season. The first two would almost certainly put him back in with the seniors, and the third option is not highly likely.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Would he be better off playing in the U21 Euros or being a bit part play in 4 England qualifiers between March + June?

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Well there's an excluded middle there. To recast the question: if he is playing regular football in the second half of the season, is he better off playing senior internationals and then getting parachuted in for the under-21 Euros, or being artificially held back to train with the under-21s with a view to the under-21 Euros? I would say that, even if he is going to play in the Euros, he's better off spending the season with the seniors if possible.

JRSG repped this.
  18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I only think Ejaria should be in contention for the U21 squad next summer. But it's nice to see Worrall, Ejaria + Kent (even though I don't particularly rate Kent) all getting serious minutes, especially in some very high stakes games. Will be great for them. Ejaria is already near 20 games for the season.

Onomah seems to be settling in well at Sheff Wed too and winning over their fans. Again, not ideal that he's where he is at this stage of his career, but 70 Championship games by next season wouldn't be bad going.

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Quietly impressed by what Gerrard is doing at Rangers. Also, good to see Worrall playing regularly as our youth teams are a bit think on centre backs.

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's actually a good point about CBs

97s is a strong CB group with Tomori, Clarke-Salter, Konsa, Fry, Worrall, Tuanzebe.

But then 98 & 99 only really gives me Trev Chalobah with any confidence. Getting his initial senior games in MF. Was worried with Euro performances (general sloppiness but still convinced CB will be where he will eventually be). Ben Wilmot ?

2000s has depth but the unknown still with Guehi, Panzo, Gibson, Eyoma in that order for me (Latibeaudiere may have to go to right-back but I like the player) - need to see more from Ferguson than the u19 Euro game which was unfair on him.

2001 Ogbeta & Alese with Laird maybe being in the Latibeaudiere situation. I think both Alese & Ogbeta are solid. Athetic and read the game well. Big couple of seasons for them.

2002 is nice with Harwood-Bellis, Wood & Mengi.

kbarrett2316, W.A.S.P. and TopBanana10 repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Reece Oxford should be in the squad for the next cycle. His delayed progression has harmed us in the CB department. We usually have some gaps in areas at the start of a new campaign. Still the U19 winning CB’s should get a chance. They should be OK at this level. Whether they can hang onto the starting roles is another matter.

kbarrett2316 repped this.
  22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    There's always some CBs that come through strongly a bit later too. I don't know much about Bazeley-Graham at Villa, but I think he looks good alongside Jacob Bedeau.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If Chilwell has been promoted let’s hope Sessegnon goes to left back. Playing right footers at left back in a Boothroyd team is the stuff of nightmares.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Good point. Sessegnon to me is a left back or a wing back. I don’t see a future for him as a forward at the highest level.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

I hope this isn’t the case, they should let him stay at WBA for the whole season where he is currently on fire. I think Leicester would be getting back an even more improved and rounded player, don’t see the point of recalling him if he’s not going to get serious playing time. Maybe he will this time but after last seasons recall and subsequent bench warming, I have my doubts.

W.A.S.P. repped this.