England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Good to see Patrick Roberts getting minutes in La Liga. Came on for the last 30 minutes.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #8802 Marcho Gamgee, Sep 17, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    Yeah, I switched over to take a look when I saw he had come on. Looked like a tough 25mins or so as Celta seemed to dominate the possession so Roberts didn’t see much of the ball but did put in a defensive shift. Kind of a shame as was hoping to see him on the front foot, having said that he could have grabbed himself a last minute goal had Stuani cut the ball back to him instead of squaring it accross the goal, Pat was an easier option but got ignored for some reason.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Apparently Harvey Barnes is having a great game tonight against Bristol City. He surely has to be in for a shout for the next Squad?

TopBanana10 repped this.
  4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He's a no brainer pick for me after starting the season strongly and playing regurlarly.

5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  6. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I don't see how he gets in at left back Chilwell and Shaw around. No major competition further up outside of Sancho or have I misfeed someone?

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Hudson-Odoi, Reiss Nelson, Sterling, Rashford, Morgan Rogers, Lookman, Greenwood etc etc there's loads of guys going for similar positions.

Predicting ahead that Chilwell + Shaw will be nailed on starters is never recommended. It wouldn't surprise me if Sessegnon was never a guaranteed England starter, there's always loads of competition.

8. dakid

dakid Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    God I missed a few alright. I will be shocked if Chilwell is not first choice. He should be already imo.

I wouldn't say there is always loads of competition. Where is the competition for GK, dm, cm or upfront at the moment? Potential guys aren't even playing for their clubs.

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Well my whole point is that you're taking a snapshot of the guys in the picture now and extrapolating it out over the next decade.

You probably didn't think Chillwell should be first choice a month ago, now you can't see a spot for Sessegnon at left back in the future cause Chilwell is your first choice.

If it was as simple as that, Barkley, Sturridge, Wilshere, Shaw + Chamberlain would be closing in on 50/60 caps and targeting the next Euros as their 4th or 5th major tournament.

ChristianSur repped this.
  10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Todd Cantwell's first start for Norwich tonight against Reading, and immediately had an assist.

David Hurford repped this.
  11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sharpovic repped this.
  12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yes, one of them is enough.

13. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Dele and Lingard are good players but if we're hoping to take England to the next level then we need to look at other options.

I get serious Eriksen vibes from Mount. Him and Grealish will probably have to be playing regularly in a top league though to stand a chance of displacing Dele or Lingard.

14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    There’s talk of Puel recalling Harvey Barnes. He’s getting rave reviews and should be in the next squad.

15. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Barnes was recalled last January as well. Played about 2 games.

I am not so sure that Puel will be in the job in January to recall him either.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    So much can happen between now and January anyway.

17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    That was some free kick by Mount! Lad's on fire.

18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
  19. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Genuinely feels like Mount & Maddison are the proper #10's we've been looking for since God knows when.

Being coached by Lampard is doing wonders for Mason's all round game. He's much more involved in the build-up play now & is improving at a rapid rate.

David Hurford repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Derby were very good, I got free tickets to the game

The press in the first half was excellent, I thought mount took his goal well but Wilson and Bryson were the best players in that midfield Saturday

hussar, W.A.S.P. and TotaalVoetbal repped this.
  21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sounds like he made the right decision to stay home and play in the Championship, despite me and many of us wanting him to go abroad.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    How do we know this is better than him being abroad? No one thought the move to Derby would flop. just that he should be pushing to play at a higher level.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As I recall a lot of us wanted him to go abroad, but I guess not... Yes, now I remember correctly that he should've been getting a place in the EPL. I think I was remembering how someone said that if he were playing for Ajax then Mount would've been a much higher prospect and would've gotten plenty of offers from big clubs in Europe.

24. TotaalVoetbal

TotaalVoetbal Member

Jan 25, 2015
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Just helped boss United at Old Trafford with another terrific performance that's getting praise.

He'll probably learn more this season than he would have in the Premier League playing for the likes of Brighton or Palace.

Lampard is the ideal coach for him & Derby play a style reminiscent of Liverpool, Chelsea, City.

W.A.S.P., hussar and TopBanana10 repped this.