England Under 21 Discussions Thread (2002+ born) #8

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jan 29, 2023.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I'm not a fan of Kompany, but this forum sometimes reaches indefensibly stupid conclusions. Apparently Kompany is so unbearably hating on the English that he's leaving out his best player? Jesus, what did I just read.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I was just being flippant, wasn’t really meant in a serious tone. Off course he’s highly unlikely to drop Kane but at the same time it wasn’t particularly encouraging when at Burnley he hardly used any English players was more my point.

Inter Row Z and roverman repped this.
  3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Craig bellamy was whispering in his ear 'those English are evil nasty oppressors'.

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder if they saw a massive up-tick in media attention and English followers for Dortmund through having Sancho and Bellingham in their teams and wanted a piece of that. Or it could just be that England along with France are clearly ascendant when it comes to producing talent right now.

Gaz811 and roverman repped this.
  5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I understand, but still he was the manager who stood by Trafford for months, even after all the fans wanted him dropped. Also he backed the club to buy Aaron Ramsey. I didn't like either what Burnley became of, but still think that it was down to many reasons, and not because Kompany doesn't trust English talent.

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Kompany just liked using young players and most of the English players at Burnley were not that young.

hussar repped this.
  7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Manchester United, Liverpool and Arsenal will reportedly battle with Vincent Kompany's Bayern Munich for Leeds teenager Archie Gray this summer. (Daily Express)

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Incoming Chelsea boss Enzo Maresca is set to prioritise a move for Manchester City forward James McAtee, who he would have targeted had he stayed at Leicester City. (The Sun on Sunday)

AJ123 repped this.
  10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Hopefully this means Chelsea will continue to play young English players like they did under Poch. Also now English players are flavor of the month in other countries English clubs will stop buying so many bang avarage players from abroad which stops young English players coming through.

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would think it's more likely just McAtee's agent trying to find a home for him.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Think he'd be a good buy for someone as he won't cost crazy money whilst having a lot of upside. Even in a terrible Sheffield United team he really excelled in some areas but still has definite weaknesses. His strengths and weaknesses in the link below hint at that. Finding players that are really good at through balls is quite difficult.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/425576/Show/James-McAtee

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It would be interesting considering the rumour McAtee and Palmer had a massive falling out while they were both still in City’s academy .

14. DannyM28

DannyM28 Member

Manchester United
    England
    Oct 4, 2017
    Another midfielder that is very ‘un English’ in that he likes to/can play on the half turn and passes and moves very well. Very high ceiling, but I feel a lot of people wrote him off after the injuries. Good to see Ten Hag still has faith in his potential. The deliberate talk to him in front of the cameras at the FA cup final (the same as he did with Mainoo in the car so cup the year previously) is I think the manager indicating that he believes Collyer can have a similar impact. These types of players naturally take longer to be first team ready because the top level game is much less forgiving of players in this part of the pitch as opposed to the attacking third. Definitely one to watch for next year. I confess I’d written him off 6 months ago but I might be proven wrong.

I always root for these types of midfielders personally, as there are so few of them in this country that dictate from deep at the highest level.

AJ123 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  15. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    the whole reason they sacked Poch and are going for Enzo is they don't want him to have a say on players

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Do you have any articles on this?

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s not been in the press but it has been noted online.

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    You've got to stop doing this.

19. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Of course it has! By who? because literally anyone can make up a rumour. Apparently Harry Kane hates Eze, you heard it here first!

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Anyone know when the next squad gets announced?

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Late August for the qualifiers.

Ste walker repped this.
  22. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sounds reasonable, but if I tried to type out the ratio of swap deals that have been reported to swap deals that have actually happened, I think I'd crash the site. Maybe my memory is failing me but it feels significant that the most recent example I can think of right now is Keith Gillespie for Andy Cole.

horrisengleton repped this.
  24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Oh, wait - Ashley Cole for Gallas, a mere 18 years ago.

None of these players is called Cole, so it won't happen.

25. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    You certainly don't see them much. This one seems pretty widely reported on so I assume it's somewhat advanced. I don't think Luiz for McKennie is a great deal but it's potentially a good move for Iling Junior. Emery has a nice record with youngsters.