England Under 21 Discussions Thread (2002+ born) #8

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jan 29, 2023.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    BarryfromEastenders and AJ123 repped this.
  2. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
  3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Ireland have hired John O’Shea as interim manager for their March matches and will hire someone permanently in early April. Wonder if that will be Carsley with there being five months after those matches until another squad is announced.

4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I think if Carsley was going to join Ireland it would have happened by now, their delay to April after claiming they would have an appointment in a couple of weeks when the Carsley link emerge seems more like they were rejected and are struggling to find alternatives

hussar and roverman repped this.
  5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    The Irish fans think it Carsley, claim that he didn't want to leave us at short notice due to the qualifiers.

6. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    I might be wrong, but like MrSnub says I think the claim that they're struggling to find someone is much more buyable than the idea Carsley wants to manage games against Azerbaijan and Luxembourg, which in all honesty we'd win with any of us in charge. I can't imagine it would have any impact on Carsley's relationship with the FA if he left now.

Gaz811, roverman, Marcho Gamgee and 3 others repped this.
  7. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Carsley could of left months ago, they (Ireland) have known they've needed a new manager since November (and lets be honest months before that). I'm not sure why he'd suddenly feel obligated to manage games against Luxemburg and Azerbaijan (if he was leaving). I'm not sure the FA would be desperate him him to stay on for these games if they knew if he was leaving, they're still 3 weeks away it not as if it a couple of days before the international window.

horrisengleton and roverman repped this.
  8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Matteo Joseph has just scored in the FA Cup for Leeds against Chelsea.

BarryfromEastenders and LUFCGGRAY repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Joseph with two goals at Chelsea. Almost had a hat-trick. CF is probably the most interesting selection point for the next squad. Could go in many directions with the picks.

CM picks will be interesting too. Probably a more interesting squad selection than the seniors.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think Chukwuemeka might struggle to get in even if he is back fit as while he has a high celling most of the other options are showing more either in the PL or Championship.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. LUFCGGRAY

LUFCGGRAY Member

Leeds United
    England
    Aug 12, 2023
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’d like to see him in the squad although I’m not sure he’s played enough to warrant being picked, a proper modern day striker who can press and finish. Hopefully this performance encourages him to be played more for Leeds this season.

12. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Said it for a while on here but I think Joseph is quite an underrated CF prospect. I really think he has the tools to go very far; genuinely has a bit of everything. Really tenacious in his duels with opposing CBs too.

LUFCGGRAY and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  13. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The next U21 Squad will be really interesting. The competition for places will be insane.

14. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    AJ123 and Fireburn47 repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looking at his stats and he very much looks like an attacking fullback. Funnily enough the one of the players that his statistical profile most resembles is Leif Davis! Another left field left back candidate for possible future England honours. His profile is compared against players from the next 14 best leagues after the European top 5.

https://fbref.com/en/players/028b8d59/scout/365_m2/Archie-Brown-Scouting-Report

16. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    There's been a bit of talk about him being called up this campaign in this thread, due to the lack of LB options (Wilson-Esbrand, Cirkin, Hall), but Carsley has played Bashir Humphries instead for most matches, certainly in contention. Seems pretty versatile as looks like he's played LCB, LB and LWB this year.

17. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Seems quite short sighted if we don't use these kind of games to at least try the other options. Humphreys isn't even in the Swansea starting team at the moment, although Callum Doyle who also played there is back.

There's certainly a few options who warrant looking at least a couple for this squad. Beyond Brown, Luke Chambers and Ben Chrisene have some good early reviews from their respective loans and also worth a look.

Regis Prograis repped this.
  18. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    I thought Chrisene looked very good on Tuesday vs Newcastle

19. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Chrisene struggled a lot at first but has been steadily improving and the Newcastle game was easily his best performance yet. He's very raw and needs at least another year in the Championship after this one but there's definitely potential there (I'm actually a Blackburn fan despite my profile claiming Arsenal, I selected it accidentally and can't change it).

20. KHSAFC

KHSAFC Member

Sunderland
    England
    Feb 12, 2023
    Karamoko Dembélé has his 6th league goal of the season today for Blackpool. He’s got 10 assists also. Could be an option for the U20 squad?

roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  21. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Well worth including in my opinion. His stats are pretty immense and at least suggest that he can step up to The Championship.

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/389349/Show/Karamoko-Dembélé

It would be prudent to get him involved again.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You could probably pick about 10 uncapped options that have a worthwhile shout of deserving an U21 call up.

hussar repped this.
  23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Morgan Rogers has looked good off the bench for Villa. Would suit this teams style and Carsley always likes players that have been in Man City’s academy.

horrisengleton and Fireburn47 repped this.
  24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Maybe jinxed him (not watching). Might be tactical but still same points remain.

25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    He was on a yellow.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.