England Under 21 Discussions Thread (2002+ born) #8

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The Irish FA are living in 2010.

roverman repped this.
  2. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    It doesn't matter who we get as manager . Our best player Evan Ferguson is having a goal drought.

Our brightest young prospect Andrew Moran "The Irish Phil Foden" can't get a game for Blackburn :cry: .

Gaz811 repped this.
  3. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Fin Aziz looks a good prospect.

4. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    He does but I am not sure if he will make it to premier league level.

The brighton coach said that Andrew Moran has the potential to be a superstar and play for a top club . He christened him "The Irish Phil Foden".

Have you seen Moran play?.

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  5. Inter Row Z

Inter Row Z Member+

Oldham Athletic
    England
    Mar 26, 2023
    You do realise that BigSoccer has its very own dedicated Ireland forum where you can wax lyrical about players like Blackburn reserve, Andrew Moran, with people who could actually give a toss.

wellno repped this.
  6. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Can't say I have but I trust your judgement. Whoever the new manager is, he's got a job on his hands.

7. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    This my England team for the World Cup . This team would take some beating .

ramsdale
    james stones rice chillwell

foden mainoo bellingham

saka kane gordon

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  8. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Not bad team I have to say. So much strength in depth too.

9. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    The way i see it most games of football are won and lost in midfield . If you have three really skillfull players who are press resistant and go past players and mainoo who like a cheat code he can defend and be a playmaker to a very high level which very few midfielders can do .

He is very rare 2 in one player. A mixture of pogba and keane insane all round ability.

Also pace on the wings to supply the ball to the most prolific striker in world football

There no weakness in that team . Rice many ex pros have said that his best position is centre back even southgate saw him intially as a centre back .

Playing him in midfield he isn't press resistant or a playmaker so he becomes a weak link .

He is still a very good player but if you want to be guaranteed to win the midfield battle you cant have any shortcomings in midfield .

The only team in world football I could see beating that team is Brazil with their new golden generation .

10. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Solid team.Seeing as we'e on the U21 thread I'd like to shoutout Jaden Philogene as an outside bet in getting in that team.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  11. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    He is playing with Hull at the moment so will have to improve a lot but who knows.

What do you think are the chances of the next manager playing Rice as centre back. Probably zero?.

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Rice will probably be in midfield until his early 30s. Google Jaden Philogene goal against Rotherham.

13. finney81

finney81 Red Card

Man Utd
    Republic of Ireland
    Feb 9, 2024
    Impressive goal, i have seen gazza playing rabona passes before. I am guessing you see don't Rice playing in midfield as a problem for England .

I would be interested to hear your opinion.

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Rice is excellent for England. He's been one of arsenal's key players this season

AJ123 repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #1865 AJ123, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    Arsenal's xGA for this season is 18, the next closest is Man City with 23.3. They also conceded the least number of goals in the league this season. Rice is quite clearly one of the best defensive midfielders in the game. He also has 4 goals and 4 assists from that position in the Premier League. He isn't a playmaker nor does he need to be one when you have Bellingham, Maddison, Foden etc etc in the squad.

That said his passing is hugely impressive as well. As you can see from the stats he is in the elite in the league this season for progressive passes and passes into the final third so the idea that he doesn't contribute to the attacking phase has no basis in reality. Early in the season some people were claiming that Rice detracted from Arsenal's attacking play but they are currently second top scorers in the league and second in terms of xG. Ahead of Man City and behind Liverpool on both counts.

https://fbref.com/en/players/1c7012b8/scout/12192/Declan-Rice-Scouting-Report

Fireburn47 and roverman repped this.
  16. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England team for me if fit

…………Kane

foden…..Bellingham….saka

……….rice …..stones

Shaw…tomori…Maguire…James

……………..Pickford

I think stones can drop into a 3 when needed and is actually a good progressive. It frees rice up to get forward and gives Bellingham a free role

there always the option of jones or trent in midfield or right back inverting which frees up space for a more attacking cm

stones can obviously play cb as well and that would mean adding a cm

Mainoo potentially with rice and Bellingham would be nice or Maddison with Bellingham and rice as a single pivot

Ben white has been really good recently, he would be my first choice rb as he offers inversion, defensive solidity or can overlap Saka, who he has a great relationship with

roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The midfield options we have at the minute are insane. Just Hope Southgate doesn't just go for Henderson and Phillips.

roverman repped this.
  18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't think Tomori is good enough to be in the squad let alone the starting XI.

roverman, Inter Row Z and Regis Prograis repped this.
  19. DannyM28

DannyM28 Member

Manchester United
    England
    Oct 4, 2017
    My first 11 would be:

………….....Kane.......................

Grealish…..Bellingham…...Saka

……….Rice …..Mainoo..............

Shaw…Braithwaite…Stones…James

……………..Pickford..................

I'm sure Southgate will stick with Maguire though...

It's a tough one between Foden and Grealish but I feel Grealish is more reliable especially in matches against tougher opponents.

Biases aside, I genuinely feel Mainoo offers the ability to retain and progress the ball in a way which we don't have with other options for that position. Rice and Mainoo would work very well together IMO.

roverman repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is Branthwaite ready?

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

AJ123, hussar and Fireburn47 repped this.
  23. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I've been an Elliot naysayer on here in the past but his stats are very good this season

https://fbref.com/en/players/b9e1436c/scout/12192/Harvey-Elliott-Scouting-Report

My main criticism has always been his lack of physicality and how that affects his defensive contribution but his stats in that regard are decent enough.

Interestingly the player he most resembles is Odegaard. Odegaard is a little bit better at most things but does little work defensively.

https://fbref.com/en/players/79300479/scout/12192/Martin-Odegaard-Scouting-Report

Hopefully he can start in the League Cup final on Sunday which would be a big moment for him.

hussar repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

AJ123 and hussar repped this.
  25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021