England Under 21 Discussions Thread (2002+ born) #8

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He looks bigger than the 5,11 he is said to be. He has the build of a taller man.

2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Liverpool were forced into playing those two by an injury crisis that took out all their senior centre backs. Klopp tried starting with two midfielders at centre back before he turned to them. They were the last roll of the dice.

Klopp had options to omit Quansah yesterday with Endo and Konate on the bench. I don't think he would have put the same trust in a more limited player.

hussar repped this.
  3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Konate was only just back in training after an injury and Endo is a midfielder so there's not much to be read into that.

4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Fabinho and Henderson were midfielders and still played at CB a few times.

wellno repped this.
  5. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Samuel Iling-Junior an unused sub for Juventus again this weekend.

It's been a frustration amongst Juve fans since he made his debut that he almost always does well when given a chance but Allegri hardly every gives him more than a short cameo in the 2nd half.

He seems to have fallen even further out of favour this season with Cambiaso's arrival so it now feels unlikely he's ever going to be properly developed at Juve. Hopefully he pushes for a move in January.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Michael Carrick on Hayden Hackney’s England U21 debut -

Boro head coach Michael Carrick said: "I think he [Hackney] enjoyed it. If you watched the game you could see how much he enjoyed it. I thought he was the best player on the pitch by quite some way to be honest. I was delighted for him. He's deserved it, he's earned it. He's played like that for a long period of time now so I wasn't surprised.

"Every time he needs to take a step up he naturally steps up and his performance levels go up. I thought he did that. It was a really good afternoon for him and his family. I was delighted for him and proud to see him do so well."

On Hackney switching his allegiances to England, Carrick said: "He's playing for England now at the moment so I take it that's Hayden's decision. He's his own man and has own aspirations in that respect. I'm here to guide him and help him as best as we can."

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport...rough-michael-carrick-hayden-hackney-27721063

horrisengleton repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Alex Scott back training -

[​IMG]

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  9. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Charlie Patino benched by Swansea. Same thing ended up happening at Blackpool when the going got tough.

He obviously needs to develop a bit more doggedness but at the same time sending youngsters out on loan to sides battling relegation is not a clever strategy - although tbf Swansea were expected to be better than they’ve been.

10. JAMC_

JAMC_ Member

England
    Jul 4, 2022
    Another goal for Jay Stansfield.

AJ123, Fireburn47 and hussar repped this.
  11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    England U21 and U20 players EA 2024 ratings

77 - Elliott, Madueke
    74- Harwood - Bellis, Colwill, Livramento
    73- Lewis,
    72 - Branthwaite, Scott
    71- Trafford, Doyle, Bynoe - Gittens, Illing - Junior, Geldhart
    70 - Cresswell, McAtee, Hackney, Ramsey
    69- Greenwood
    68- Wood- Gordon, Patino, Morton, Edwards
    67- Delap, Iroegbunam
    66 - Norton - Cuffy, Palmer, Hill, Hall,Rowe, Jebbison, Ebiowei
    65- Edozie, Humphreys, Chukwuemeka
    64- Devine, Simons, Stansfield
    63- Beadle, Wilson - Esbrand, Scarlett, Wharton, Cox, Vale, Joseph
    62 - Mbete, Quansah, Gyabi, Chambers
    61- Perkins, Walters, Balagizi
    60 - Goodman, Olakigbe, Setford, Oyegoke, Burns
    59- Arblaster, Andrews
    58- Davies, Webster
    57- Tickle, Whitworth, Mubama, Ingram
    56 - Welch
    55- Samuels, Corness

Not Included - Burstow, Simkin, Forson, Katongo, Gore, Soglo, Sharman - Lowe, Oluwayemi, Awe.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Harvey Elliot the only English starter for Liverpool in the Europa League this evening.

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Good to see there is more and more English forwards could seize the opportunity: we know about Delap and Stansfield, but Harry Leonard has been looking good at Blackburn, and now Josh Coburn had a good game today for Boro, gave a torrid time to Harwood-Bellis, and won a penalty against him. Kion Etete has also scored his first league goal for Cardiff and we already talked about Sam Bell here, so there are a few to watch. If only Whittaker would be one year younger..

roverman and horrisengleton repped this.
  15. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Don't think Jarrad Branthwaite is a million miles away from a senior call-up. He's 6'5", mobile, good on the ball and just an all round excellent defender. I expect him to make his way into the senior setup by the March internationals if he maintains this level.

roverman, Gaz811 and hussar repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Depends. Stones, Guehi and probably Maguire are fixtures for the Euros which leaves two places left. Competing with Dunk Colwill and Tomori for maybe two places.

17. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Branthwaite could easily take Colwill's place. Can argue Colwill has a higher ceiling, although it's close, but I think he's more raw than Braithwaite is at the minute. I'd trust Branthwaite in a tournament more than Colwill right now. We all know it won't be hard to beat Tomori to a place either.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Colwill could easily be the second left back instead of Chilwill (Or even starting if Shaw is injured.) freeing up a centre back place the way his Chelsea career is going.

Gaz811 repped this.
  19. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    It's possible but he'll have to improve; he hasn't looked good in that role really. Not sure he's mobile enough for it.

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Pochetino seems stubborn enough to possibly try it for quite a while.

21. horrisengleton

horrisengleton Member+

Arsenal
    England
    Jul 18, 2023
    Valencia, Spain
    Aaron Ramsey is looking top quality.

roverman and AJ123 repped this.
  22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Nathan Wood went off with an ankle injury early on today for Swansea and while Callum Doyle seems to has injured his knee as well at Leicester

Charlie Patino started for Swansea and scored their third.

AJ123 repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Noni Madueke still absent from Cheslea’s squad due to injury. Cole Palmer on the bench. Jarell Quansah on Liverpool’s bench.

25. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Middlesbrough would likely have gone up last season if he hadn't been injured for the run in. They looked a different team altogether when he played.