England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah I think this is a fair point. Certainly there's no great glory in being King of the Reserves but he may well have been held back a bit because of his contract situation. I guess we'll find out in the next few months.

2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I think that's pretty harsh on Nelson, Jones and Delap.

Nelson has played top flight football in England, Germany and the Netherlands, Jones is part of the first team squad at Liverpool, Delap has pretty much been injured ever since winning the award. All are still young enough to have their best years ahead of them, you don't have to be Wayne Rooney for the award to be a decent indicator of success.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He should have really got a loan in January. Hard to see Pep giving many chances to young players at this stage in the season.

AJ123 repped this.
  4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I wasn't saying Delap or Jones had failed (too early in their career - though Nelson I would disagree with, disappointing career so far, very likely to end up in the championship or a weaker league abroad), but the others its clear are not going to be the level of player remotely good enough for England, or at England level, which is fairly telling of the quality of the under 23 league when the players of the season historically haven't even been up to premier league standard.

It's not a perfect correlation, but it is pretty telling almost anyone who will become England standard is either out on loan or a genuine first team squad option by the age of McAtee, who lets face it, is not going to play more than a few minutes before next season when he'll be nearly 20. You don't have to be Wayne Rooney, but the stats suggest you need to be something out the comfort zone of youth football if you're going to be a top player.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The
    i am not even convinced any of Man City youngsters will eventually make the senior squad except Palmer. I am skeptical of Harwood - Bellis making a big breakthrough p.

6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't particularly disagree, if Guardiola really likes an academy player he tends to incorporate them into the first team squad pretty sharpish - see Foden and Eric Garcia at City.

Those who have been sent on loan by him never seem to ever have a semblance of a chance, those who are kept in the under 23's seem to be mainly for the purposes of keeping the under 23 side stocked till its their turn for a loan.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I agree to a degree about Harwood-Bellis, I don’t think he will end up as a regular in the City team going forward but I think he will make a good solid Premier League player for someone and have a good career and maybe even a senior England player, time will tell. McAtee I’m a big fan off and I know it’s a big ask but think he has a chance to make it at City in the long term, just a feeling I have mainly due to his technical ability just screams to me that he’s a Pep type player that he loves. I think it’s right what some have said previously that he hasn’t had that many opportunities due to his contract situation. He’s still got a lot to work on but I think he’s got a decent chance in my opinion along with Palmer so I don’t see him going in the same direction as someone like Roberts but again time will tell.

8. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Pep must see some potential in him rather than selling him off this January as was rumoured.

9. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Good to see Delap getting an appearance today for Man City after his injury.

I think he's got the highest ceiling out of the man city three.

10. toonarmy44

toonarmy44 Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Tyne and Wear
    Newcastles Elliott Anderson is on loan at Bristol Rovers in league 2 and scored 1 and assisted 1 and got MOTM at the weekend, 19 years old. Not sure of his allegience at the moment as keeps flicking between scotland and england at youth level so keeping his options open but he is a geordie. Bristol Rovers fans seem to think he is far too good for that level and he is a top prospect.

hussar and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    England men’s under-20s

Poland v England MU20s
    U20 International Match
    5pm, Thursday 24 March
    Location to be confirmed

England MU20s v Germany
    U20 International Match
    7.30pm, Tuesday 29 March
    Colchester United’s stadium
    Buy Tickets

Squad named: 10am, Friday 18 March

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Goalkeepers: Harvey Cartwright (Hull City), Charlie Setford (Ajax), James Trafford (Bolton Wanderers, loan from Manchester City)

Defenders: Ajibola Alese (West Ham United), Dennis Cirkin (Sunderland), Taylor Gardner-Hickman (West Bromwich Albion), James Hill (AFC Bournemouth), Kaine Kesler-Hayden (MK Dons, loan from Aston Villa), Clinton Mola (VFB Stuttgart), Nathan Wood (Middlesbrough)

Midfielders: Faustino Anjorin (Huddersfield Town, loan from Chelsea), Lewis Bate (Leeds United), Jordan James (Birmingham City), James McAtee (Manchester City), Tyler Morton (Liverpool), Daniel Neil (Sunderland)

Forwards: Cameron Archer (Preston North End, loan from Aston Villa), Tyrhys Dolan (Blackburn Rovers), Sam Greenwood (Leeds United), Jaden Philogene-Bidace (Stoke City, loan from Aston Villa), Luke Plange (Derby County, loan from Crystal Palace), Jesurun Rak-Sakyi (Crystal Palace)

13. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    That's a big skip in age groups for Setford.

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    No Delap. Is he injured?

15. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    I think he scored 2 for Man City U23s last weekend...

16. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How can Jordan james be in. He's in the wales under 18 side

17. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Removed Wales from his social media bio, probably feels English but never called up before.

roverman repped this.
  18. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Delap will be in the under 19s if he's in a squad, they have the qualifiers for the Euro's coming up.

AJ123 and JTay repped this.
  19. JTay

JTay Member

England
    Apr 27, 2019
    Seems odd he was in their U18s, usually Wales fast track players like him (playing senior football).

roverman repped this.
  20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    The welsh are going mental over james. They want to captie him with the seniors

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I see Dolan is in of Blackburn. He's a good little player. Does alot of stepovers but little end product at times. He reminds me of a young cristiano ronaldo. Though a million miles away from that

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Good call Rover, you were after us calling up this kid and looks like the FA heard you ;)

roverman repped this.
  23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He is a big talent it seems.

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I can see a similar thing with james regarding rice. Chose a smaller nation as he thought he might not be good enough then realises he has a chance with England. So will probably stick with England

25. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #2350 Slater582, Mar 21, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Reckon Mengi & Jensen Weir would've been selected had they not got injured.

Perhaps if they weren't playing in a critical play-off game he'd have been promoted.

Alternatively it is just another situation like Ampadu, David Brooks, Jadan Raymond, James Lannin-Sweet, Freddie Issaka etc of a player experiencing a different option.