England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bear in mind it's normal to have at least 4 weeks off, especially for players who are involved beyond the end of club season, then about 6 weeks of preseason before competitive games.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    With the best will in the world, it isn't "normal" to have four weeks off and six weeks of pre-season before Europa League qualifiers. Nobody has that, ever. His team-mates won't have that. Their opponents won't have that.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well f**k! Worst news I could see about this squad. Makes no sense.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I wonder if he or the club would have pulled out if he had been called up to the U21's?

5. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well I think you're missing the point here - only one club in the Premiership, or two with a fair play qualifier ever have such an early start. Liverpool may be in that position, so don't want to take any chances.

If it was the U21 tournament I strongly suspect he would not be withdrawn, but Toulon is lower down the priorities.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I was responding to the point from your previous post rather than missing one you hadn't made yet, but in any case my point was that nobody expects to go into the Europa League qualifiers with a full pre-season behind them. Even playing this tournament, Ibe would be in a better position than most others in that situation since he's played a fairly leisurely amount of minutes since January.

That said, they're saying he's injured, so I've put my pitchfork back in the shed.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Not really a like for like replacement.

I'm really nervous about watching these games. Really hope our approach is correct.

8. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Boothroyd not someone known for playing good football and developing young players, think he was a bit of longball merchant. Worst case with this squad he lines up 4-4-2 with two wingers and get no possession from an overrun midfield.

9. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The defence is the main are of concern. I wonder how many will have a future with the U21s? I don't think we should be taking a 93 born player if he won't be eligible for the U21s next season, seems rather pointless.

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    the last chance to get a look at them in the system and get familiar with them before they could become a senior? Makes sense to explore as many options as possible to me.

11. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Odubajo has already had two games at this level. Nations are only taking 93 born players to the Toulon this time around due to the Olympics, a tournament we won't be participating in. Shouldn't the U20s be about players eventually making that progression to the U21s at some stage?

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    yeah but two games and probably a handful of days contact time is nothing. It's a great chance to get a look at true look at a full back who could conceivably be going to the next World Cup. For me the U20s seems like a team that allows some guys who may not have been a part of the England system in the lower age groups to get involved and to shed a light on some others with the knowledge that as the U21 Euros isn't annual, many may miss out on the tournament depending on their varying levels of progression. It's unrealistic to expect a smooth transition through all the age groups when the U21 calendar isn't in line with the rest.

Ultimately it's about getting players involved in the system and I think it's wise to not hinder ourselves by discounting a player just because he won't be eligible for the next u21 tournament in two years.

13. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I don't mind players being involved in this group who haven't had a chance in previous age groups, I don't take issue with that. It is strange to be selecting a player who won't be eligible for the next U21 campaign though. It seems rather illogical and quite myopic.

If he had the potential to be going to a World Cup with the Seniors he would be with the other 93s in the U21 squad.

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In fairness to Odubajo the U21s are overstocked with right backs. I think he's definitely someone that should be going to this tournament though, late bloomer and someone eligible for Nigeria. Well worth keeping him involved as he could develop into a Prem player, he's close enough as it is being an important player for Brentford who just missed the playoffs.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'll put this in here as a reminder for tomorrow -

603638073226874880 is not a valid tweet id

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  17. yankpundit

yankpundit Member

May 28, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to checking this young England team out today. Hope it goes well for them.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    England U20s v Morocco @ Toulon: Walton, Iorfa, Stephens, Cargill, Grimes, Baker (c), Wilson, Gray, Hause, Hanson, Watmore.

Guessing it's some form of back three, five in midfield with Gray playing in one of the wingback/wide roles, although i'm not entirely sure who will play on the opposite side.

Walton

Iorfa
    Cargill
    Hause

Grimes
    Stephens
    Baker
    Hanson
    Gray

Wilson
    Whatmore

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think it's a 4-3-3 but not sure who is at right back.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    yeah maybe you're right actually. I think Iorfa has played most of his football for Wolves at right back.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Other game in our group has ended 1-1 between Mexico and Ivory Coast.

24. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Demarai Gray is a classy player.