England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I don't get the hate for Scarlett, he is pretty quick and although he might not have the physicality yet, he is a year younger than Delap. I think it's pretty clear Scarlett was first choice because Delap was injured for ages and Scarlett did well when he was selected so he kept his place.

Devine is quality, he's got everything to his game. He should be playing first-team football somewhere, but Spurs haven't been the best at developing youngsters, especially now with Conte as manager.

AJ123 repped this.
  2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It looks likely both Scarlett and Devine will go on loan this season which will be good for their developments.

3. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    A good loan tends to be the exception, rather than the rule.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, think it’s better for their developments if they are sold with buy back options. Loans are up and down since Clubs would rather invest in players they will get value for. Off course they can work like Spence for example but If they are sold to Clubs rather than loaned then those Clubs will put more effort to make sure their development succeeds imo.

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The big Clubs never really sell players they think could succeed at 17/18. It’s normally a bit later and buy back options seem to not be included much and rarely ever activated.

6. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I know they’re talented players. When I question them it’s only in the context of if they’ll be good enough for the England senior squad. I’m sure they’ll have excellent careers by most measures.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    According to the Athletic it is being mooted that Ian Foster will continue with this group to the under 20 World Cup rather than the current under 20 coach Andy Edwards.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    That makes sense and is only fair since he got them there.

Fireburn47 repped this.
  9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I guess they try to spread it around a bit. Though I'm surprised to see Vale in the side, thought he looked very much like someone playing out of position for most the tournament.

Strange that they stopped giving the player of the tournament awards, Mount was the last one back in 2017.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jenks repped this.
  13. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
  14. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    #8089 ADM99, Jul 13, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    Would be a real shame if he ended up losing an entire season due to being frozen out. Hope they sort something out this summer.

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It feels like none of the clubs that Villa would be willing to sell to are interested just yet so I suspect he will have to sign the extension at Villa or not get first time action this season which could really set him back.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This is where there really needs to be a change to the rules or something because no way should a Club be able to dictate to a 19 year old player who is just starting out that he should either sign a contract or rot for a year in football purgatory! It’s just not right to treat kids like this and often they will fall away.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I agree but the issue is it would very complicated to find a rule to stop something like this which wouldn’t have other negotiate effects.

18. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    To be fair, the rules are that a first professional contract can only be a maximum of three years. And in the end, I think Villa would probably rather sell him for a fee than being spiteful, which would probably actually discourage other players from signing contracts in the future.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  19. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Chelsea signing quite a few players

20. ATRS

ATRS Member

Arsenal
    Apr 26, 2021
  21. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018

22. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Question is where would be best?

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Barcelona could easily have to mass sell most of their team at some point in the next few years so I’m not sure they are the best.

24. rutters

rutters Member

Sep 17, 2018
    I have no idea with Barcelona's finances, but they seem to be scraping things together so I think they'll be able to cope in the future. The question for me is more what's the motivation for moving, because surely there's a good example of Jacob Ramsey for getting into the first team at Villa. It's hard to imagine getting more football at an elite European club, with the likes of Pedri and Gavi for example, and he might speak to Louie Barry, though that was a different type of transfer. But then again Liverpool and United both need to reinforce their midfields and Klopp has shown a propensity to trust in youth.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Harvey Vale has been dropped from the Chelsea First Team squad during their pre season tour and may instead be joining the development squad. He only has a year left on his contract with them so it will be interesting to see what happens this season and if he extends or goes elsewhere next summer when it expires.