England U-17 Discussions Thread #3 (2007 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by england66, Jul 8, 2011.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Peacock isn't even going to the Nordics. Maybe a few of this squad might make the FAIT tournament though.

2. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I know this is a "Swain" tournament. But Peacock should get information from Swain on how the players performed, or he may watch some replays of the games.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    True. Should be interesting to see how it goes.

How did you find out Ali Gordon made the squad because he's not been listed still :confused:

4. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    http://www.thefa.com/England/mens-u17s/News/2011/nordics-squad-120711

~Scroll down~

* Withdrawn and replaced by Alastair Gordon of Chelsea.

** Withdrawn and replaced by Jack Grealish of Aston Villa.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ah thanks guys. Wasn't checking that part.

6. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Hmm, could Wilson have been withdrawn from this squad because he is in Man U's squad that are taking part in the Milk Cup? Their first match is on Monday evening against Zamora FC. This is their squad:
    http://www.manutd.com/en/Players-An...demy-News/2011/Jul/united-milk-cup-squad.aspx

I remember James Weir was in a couple of the squads when the Victory Shield had to have the games postponed repeatedly.

7. Alvin Row

Alvin Row Member

May 19, 2011
    I read on the Villa forum that Grealish is going to represent Ireland again later in the year. Perhaps he'll vacillate between the two for a while, until he decides where his allegiances lie.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To be fair to Chambers (as I said at the time) he looked real class.

9. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was wrong, grealish is born in september 95.......don't know why i always though he was born in 96....anyway that's a good news because the under 17 lacks of left winger......being kieran wallace an attacking midfielder (as garibaldi claims) and james wilson more comfortable in a striker position......so with grealish now it's official 95 was a great year almost like 93....or even better? the future will tell.

10. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Noel Blake to assist Swain. mmm. dream team.

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Kieran Wallace's main position since u9's has been cm. When he played for our u18's last season he played through the middle, on both flanks and off the main striker and had a stellar season.

Steve McClaren has been impressed with him and he got 17 minutes off the bench with our seniors last night.

12. Maldini2706

Maldini2706 Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Is Paul Hart back at Forest? Thought I read something about him being involved with your academy again

13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Harty was superb for us but I believe he has gone to work as Academy Director at Palace. Along with John Pemberton (who took Sheff Utd to FA youth cup final last year) played significant roles in the success of our academy. Harty is one of the best English youth coaches in his time with us and Leeds combined. I still believe the FA could have offered him a role by now.

Our academy is starting to produce some good English talent again under the guidance of Nick Marshall (academy director now and he worked under Hart), Eoin Jess (Ex Scotland player and now u18 coach), Steve Hodge (Ex Forest legend and England player who is our u16 coach).

We got to the final of the Premier league 2 years ago and our u18 side currently has 4 ENG youth internationals and maybe one or two more to come. Our chairman has stated that we have a great generation at the moment (1st & 2nd years) & there is a group of players with Jermaine Jenas ability, obviously both English and non-English. Looking forward to seeing us this season.

We normally play Liverpool every year but I see we don't play each other this season which is disappointing.

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hart's gone to work at Charlton.

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Cheers Juni, I thought it was one of Palace or Charlton and Palace seemed to stick in my mind for some reason.

16. Maldini2706

Maldini2706 Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Charlton is a strange move, I wonder why one of the bigger clubs hasn't gotten him involved. I wonder what his secret is at youth level, is it good coaching or good scouting. He had a ridiculously good record at Leeds and Forest, even aside from the headline names he got to the first team there was a multitude of other guys who had professional careers.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    IMO it's down to good scouting. Identifying the talented players is half of the job, then the players will improve with good coaching of course, but not dramatically.

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I would go with that as well.

What I find interesting is the scouting right from the youngest possible age. At Forest we have over 60 u9 players from ages 6,7,8 & 9. Then along the way that will eventually be trimmed down to get the best players from that group and then gradually add players that have been scouted who weren't with the club from u9's. I think the success of this is a middle-of-the-road u9 player might be better than a gem u9 player when they get to the crucial u15/16 age groups. The negative is that a lot of boys will get bad news when they are released due to trimming of the youth players when you get to u11's.

At Derby, their junior scouts only choose the stand out players at u9 level which is also an interesting one. I guess they will concentrate on the less kids and assure the parents that they will get focused attention. There are positives with this as well but I also think you are trying to find a needle in the hay-stack before its time maybe.

Its just too differing ways of scouting at u9 level. Derby & Forest also continually steal players from each others areas.

Take Jamaal Lascelles at Forest but from Derby
    Take Kwame Thomas at Derby but from Nottingham.

19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Chuba's Nordic challenge

A new wave of England U17 internationals will get their first taste of a continental competition when they kick-off their Nordic Tournament campaign against Faroe Islands next Tuesday.

Among Kenny Swain's squad for the games in Iceland is Arsenal forward Chuba Akpom, who spoke to TheFA.com about his call-up and his previous international experience with the Young Lions last season. He featured for the U16s in the Victory Shield with an appearance against Northern Ireland helping England to lift the trophy for the tenth consecutive year, after previously travelling to Slovenia for a friendly game in February.

“It was very good," said Akpom, of his international debut. "I came on as a sub [against Northern Ireland] and felt that I made an impact.

"I enjoyed the whole experience. I liked the way we were treated; we trained like professionals and it was all structured very much like the first team, which was amazing."

After working hard at club level, Akpom admitted he could immediately sense the difference between domestic and international football, and that this is an experience he could take back into his games in the Academy League with the Gunners.

“For international games, the best players from every nation are selected," he said. "No international games are easy so it’s a good experience as you’re testing yourself against the best players around.”

When asked what advice he would give to this year's U16s, who will be making their first England appearances in the Victory Sheild later in the year, he was quick to explain:

“Just train well and play good in every game. Try and make the most of it and most importantly, enjoy it.

“Make sure you’re always playing well for your club in every appearance, as England scouts are always there watching you and can come to any game. It will surprise you. They know how you’re progressing, so if you do well you’ll get called up.”

Now that Chuba has been confirmed as part of the 18-man group for the Nordics, he's looking to keep on impressing and ultimately become a regular for the U17s over the course of the season.

“I’m looking forward to it and feel sharp," he explained. "I want to do well so that I can be picked for the next squad and then afterwards for the Euro qualifiers which is the main goal for every player at this level.”

Akpom understands this will be his first international tournament in this format, with successive games over a short period of time and it's therefore a new challenge altogether, so he has plans to remain match-fit.

“I guess what’s most important will be making sure that I recover well between games, get enough rest and remain sharp throughout," he admitted. "It will be an amazing experience, that is without doubt, and will be something I can learn from for the future.”

Last season, Akpom and three club mates - Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill, Jack Jebb and Isaac Hayden - continued a long line of young Gunners who went on to represent the Young Lions.

“We are all very close all talk to each other, so it is easier settling in when you have your team-mates with you," he said.

“I talk to Chuks Aneke, we are very close and Benik Afobe, Nico Yennaris and Zak Ansah. I talk to all of them and they all give you good advice.

“Jay Emmanuel-Thomas is one who speaks to me a lot and gives me good advice. They just tell me to keep my head down respect the coaches and do the best I can.”

After Faroe Islands, the U17s will take on Norway 24 hours later before rounding off their group campiagn against the host nation on 5 August. One final game will take place on Monday 8 August against a nation from the other four-team group - either Sweden, Denmark, Finland or a second Iceland team.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Chuks Aneke's name doesn't link to his profile as an England youth player. Which confirms the now obvious.

21. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    hope not Bar! looks like the two are close as well...

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Don't think that matters.

23. Alvin Row

Alvin Row Member

May 19, 2011
    It would matter only insofar that Aneke might influence Akpom to switch allegiances; can't see it happening the other way round. Seriously though, it leaves such a foul taste in my mouth that Aneke won't be playing for us; he's such a rare breed of player, potentially like some magical Bergkamp/Gerrard/Vieira hybrid. Good luck to us finding another one of those!

Edit: I suppose it's possible that he's deferring his decision either way. Yes, his name may not have been linked to his profile, but he was an absentee one of those Nigerian camps recently. And, he wasn't called up for the U20 WC, was he?

24. Claret&BlueArmy

Claret&BlueArmy New Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Jack Grealish's brother had said he's pulled out of the England squad and is now sticking with Ireland for the near future. Didn't say why...