England-Turkey Viewing

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Hosscat, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I went to London to catch two Arsenal matches two or three years ago. Marcus was at Fulham and I thought "oh cool, they're playing Tues night, I'll go see Marcus!" Even though I wasn't happy with how he left the Rapids; but that's another story.

Anyway, I go to Craven Cottage with my American flag and my Rapids jersey on. I hung my flag on a railing by the field, near the midstripe. At the half Marcus is at the midstripe warming up, about 20 yards away from me, tossing the ball back and forth with someone, and he's facing me. So I leave my seat, go down to the railing with my jersey on and start calling his name, waving my arms, trying to get his attention. He takes a glance towards me and keeps on throwing. All I was looking for was a friendly wave, or maybe take 15 seconds to come over and shake my hand since a fan of the club that helped him get to England traveled 6,000 miles to see him play. Nothing. I was pretty disappointed by that.

So that combined with his abandonment of the Rapids makes him one of my least favorite players ever.

2. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Re: Fado's...Irish?

I agree with that. I said it TRIES to be an Irish pub. I've spent some time on a barstool in Ireland too and you would never hear me stating that Fado's represents Irish pub culture.

And Greenie, I still have some issues with what you say but I'm not going to hash it out here. But honestly, I don't blame you since you drive from Boulder. I can pretty much walk to Fado's, so that makes a big difference. If they're not showing the match, I say "Oh well" and it's a 2 minute drive back to my apartment. If I kept driving from Boulder and getting dissed, I'd probably Molotov cocktail the place.

But no hard feelings at all. What's funny is that we'll be sharing a table at Fado's on Saturday as if this conversation never happened.

Go Ireland, and hopefully there will be an England match to watch afterwards. Keep your fingers crossed.

3. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    What a jack off!

Aren't players suppose to not acknowlege individual fans ... by league rules or law or something? I seem to remember something about this from the Cantana side kick incident ... but I'm probably totally off.

4. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
    Why am I not surprised that some of you have had trouble confirming a footy matches at a 'soccer-friendly' bar? Trust me it's not just a Denver thing.

Anyways, having not been to Fados yet, I gave them a bell and they confirmed that both the Irish and England matches are on. I'm guessing I'd better get there early. Maybe one of you regular punters can tell me what my odds of getting a decent seat is if I turn up at halftime during the Ireland match? Think I already know the answer though. Cheers, see ya there.

Ing-er-land, Ing-er-land, Ing-er-land...

5. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm with Luke, in that I've always had a good experience with Fado's. Yeah, I have Arsenal listed as my team but I've gone down there and watched plenty of other games not involving Arsenal, Manu or Celtic. The one time it was closed when I got there was because of a miscommunication between the normal morning weekend manager (who is a big soccer fan) and the one filling in for her. I told her and she bought me two drinks the next weekend.

For anyone who does go you can give the manager your email address and she sends out a weekly email of which games are being shown (both soccer and rugby), at what times and if there will be a cover or not.