England-Turkey Viewing

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Hosscat, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    This is such a huge match, I really don't want to be holed up in my house watching it on pay per view. In your humble opinion, where would be the best place in the Denver/Boulder area to watch?

Fado's would seem like the best option, but in the past I've noticed that they have small TV's and you have to fight to be able to see anything (damn Irish authenticity). Someplace that actually has the sound on would be a major plus as well.

2. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Unless the Druid's Arms in Louisville is forking over for the feed, Fado will be the only option.

3. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Yep........ You're right. I just checked Setanta.com and it says that Fado is the only place in the Denver/Boulder area that's showing the game. The site also says that the match is not available for home PPV (bars/pubs only).
    I bet it's gonna be packed at Fado due to the lack of other options- better get there early.

Ok.... Maybe this is a cow town after all.

4. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    For what it's worth, only two places in all of Las Vegas is showing the match. And one of them is a damn Fado.

(fortunately everyone in the area and in the know will go to the Crown & Anchor, which rocks)

5. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    Bring some cash. I'd expect a fairly hefty cover charge.

6. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    That does make me feel a little bit better....... Personally, I think Fado sucks- overpriced faux Irish LoDo *#*#*#*#*#*#*#*# if you ask me. It's going to be painful to fork over that $20 cover charge (I'll probably do it anyway though).

It just amazes me that there's not even 1 other place in Denver/Boulder picking up the broadcast

7. nicogol

nicogol New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Denver
    Re: fado

I called Fado's and could not get any information out of the employee I spoke with....is it confirmed the game will be televised there?

Curious. Didn't want to make the drive only to be disappointed. Too bad the guy working the phone didn't know a damn thing.

$20 is a very steep per person charge.

8. bkn0528

bkn0528 Member

Aug 2, 2003
    nyc
    what do you guys pay for ppv at home via setanta? $20 is not cheap but this is a massive game.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: fado

There's a place in DC that's charging $35 dollars - but they will credit $10 of it to your check :rolleyes:

10. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Unfortunately, I think $20 covers for PPV matches is pretty standard now a days (more if you live somewhere like NYC).

I haven't actually confirmed the fact that the match will be on with anyone at Fado, but I got my information from setanta.com (I'd say that's a pretty good source). The problem with calling Fado to confirm is the fact that most people who work there don't seem to be fans/give a crap.... Thus, there's probably not a very good chance that the person who answers the phone will have a clue (just like you experienced)

11. nicogol

nicogol New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Denver
    I'd be happy to pay that much for a place with big screens and the volume turned on. From previous posts, I've gathered that this will not be the case. I'll pay the $$$ AND complain...

I know Streets of London Pub (Colfax) has had games EPL matches in the past. Perhaps they'll get the game(?)

12. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    comments...

1. Recommendation: When calling Fado, ask for a MANAGER who knows where they keep their list of upcoming broadcasts. If one isn't available, leave a message to have them call you back. That's the only way to confirm. And don't call between 11-1 or 5-8 (i.e. lunch and dinner rushes).

2. That said, I've still gone to Fado more times I can remember at 8AM only to have it closed. Or have them tell me "oh, we're having trouble with the satellite" when only a half-dozen show up.

3. Nobody but Fado has the capability to carry this match. Not legally, anyway. It requires a subscription to the Sentanta direct satellite, closed-circuit service. This match is also VERY expensive to carry commercially.

4. I don't think anyone else in Denver is even equipped to pick up Setanta feeds. This includes Aztec Sol.

5. If another location in Colorado were going to show the match, Setanta would be listing it on their website -- you only get listed as a venue showing the match if you've subscribed to it with Setanta. Thus if Setanta's site is listing Fado as showing England-Turkey, you can bet that Setanta is currently planning on billing Fado for the match. Search for some of the other Euro qualifiers in 80202 and you see "no results within a 100 mlie radius. That said, Fado will only be billed if they actually turn the match on (hence why very small crowds often lead to Fado having "satellite problems)

6. Again, the only way to confirm with Fado is to speak to a MANAGER. I emphasize this because I've lost count the number of times some peon there told me a match would be on, only to be told on arrival (with no match) that I need to confirm these events with a manager.

7. Finally, Ireland-Switzerland kicks off 90 minutes earlier, and Fado is currently slated to show the match (according to Setanta). If you're calling Fado to confirm Ingerland, you may want to confirm this as well -- and make sure to show up extra early to guarantee seating.

13. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    Are these matches the 11th?---both the Ireland match and England -Turkey for 20$ is a deal

14. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    Are these matches the 11th?---both the Ireland match and England -Turkey for 20$ is a deal----times?

15. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    oops

sorry about the two time thingy, I spazed

anyway, is it breakfast at Fados?

16. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Good points Greenie.... I think the bottom line is the fact that one needs to call and talk to a Fado MANAGER (not just the hostess chick) for confirmation.

I don't think I'm a fan of setanta's new bar/pub marketing strategy (rather than having the big games available on home PPV). Judging from Greenie's experience, relying on Fado and Fado only is a questionable prospect- we don't really have a choice though.

As far as I know, Ireland-Switzerland starts at 9:30am and England-Turkey starts at 11:00am (MTN time)

17. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I just called them. Ireland at 9:30, England at 11:00. A one time, $20 cover for both games. I didn't ask about $10 for England only, but my guess is that that's not going to fly.

If I could mention one thing: I think Fado's staff deserves more credit than people are giving them here. People seem to be making the staff out to be a bunch of idiots who can't read information off of a sheet of paper. I've been watching games at Fado's for years, and only once were they closed when they told me they would show a match, which they apologized for. And only a couple of times has the satellite feed been shoddy. What do you expect? It's a satellite feed! Sometimes it just doesn't work out. So, by far those are the exception rather than the rule.

And there have been a handful of times when I was the only dude in there at 6am and they treated me great and even waived the cover since I bought a couple of beers (yes, I sometimes do drink at 6am and no, I'm not an alcoholic. <Insert "Denial is the first phase" joke here>) Anyway, Fado's is a great place to watch a game, and I don't think anyone will be disappointed.

18. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Well, I never said that. Only that there are a number of peone who can't even find the right sheet of paper. Which may not be their fault.

Respect must be earned. And if the shoe fits...

Tough life, being an Arsenal fan.

I don't think anyone has criticized the quality of the feed. My criticism is that I (and others) have been turned away with the excuse of their "having problems with the satellite" when they were clearly surprised to see people at the door at 8am.

Other comments seem to be along the lines of there often being games where line-of-sight to the projection screen isn't very good and no extra TVs available.

Yes, you've had overwhelmingly good experiences. Many have had overwhelmingly bad experiences. It all comes down to the experience, and quite frankly for a large contingent Fado has disappointed more often than they have pleased.

Besides, even a solitary negative experience, if big enough, will make a feelings tough to overcome.

Not unlike your experience with Hahnemann at Craven Cottage...

19. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Oh yes.

I should mention that despite my moderate dislike of Fado, I'll still be there, forking over $20 plus plenty more on food and drink.

20. Rapids/Arsenal Fan

Mar 8, 2001
    Denver, CO USA
    I was referring to the "MUST TALK TO A MANAGER" line that's being thrown around. The staff is just as capable to dish out info.

What's that supposed to mean? If you're insinuating that they turn away Newcastle fans or whomever and give preferential treatment to Arsenal fans, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Truth be told, if anyone gets preferential treatment there, it's the Celtic supporters who pay a good amount of cash and show up at 4am to watch every one of their games.

Again, this hasn't been my experience. Sure, I've been there when the feed is out but I've sat for half an hour while they flipped through channels trying to get the game on. I'm beginning to wonder if you and I are talking about the same bar.

I agree with this. But you have to remember that it's not a sports bar, it's a pub that tries to be as close to what you'd find in Ireland as possible. I think showing sports on 50 tv's all the time is pretty low on the list of things to do there.

And anyone who has heard that story agrees that the guy is a tool.

21. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    Please ... tell me the story Poppa?? Please? :D

22. nicogol

nicogol New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Denver
    Fado's...Irish?

Yes, Fado's has some amusing authentic Irish music as well. Especially on the weekend nights...let's see some Madonna, Michael Jackson, Creed, Dave Matthews, Barenaked Ladies, and Matchbox Twenty all scream Irish culture.

Just b/c the wood was imported and the designer was Irish means very little, as far as atmosphere.

I like Fado's ok, but I refuse to believe that it represents Irish pub culture. (Yes, I've spent quite a bit of time in Ireland)

BTW- Nice to see the word "tool" hasn't gone out of fashion...at least in some circles.

23. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Except that... ummmm... as people have stated above, even earlier this week, the regular staff didn't know one way or another.

And the little fact that I've been told by a manager there to always get confirmation from... A MANAGER with regards to games being shown.

I'm only insinuating there are a lot more Arsenal fans in Denver than Newcastle fans. That is, fans that will go to Fado on a Saturday morning and watch the game (as compared to those who just like wearing the shirt).

I say this because in my experience the only people that claim they never have problems with Fado are those supoprters of Arsenal, ManU, Celtic and Liverpool. Ask fans of less-followed teams and you'll hear the same story -- that Fado has been closed or had "satellite problems" when they've only got 2 or 3 people present for the game.

I'm beginning to wonder if you're reading what I'm writing.

Each time I've been told that Fado is having "satellite problems," they haven't even had a TV on, let alone had someone visible flipping through channels or making any sort of attempt to find the game. The last time this happened the doors were closed but 5 minutes before kickoff we heard staff inside -- we knocked, peeked outside and looked at us like we were bums looking for free coffee. When we said "hi, we're here for the English match, Newcastle-Birmingham," we weren't even let inside... the fellow at the door just mumbled "oh, well, the satellite dish isn't working this morning."

Bollocks.

That argument only holds water if they were showing games for free and I expected to be able to show up at any time and watch whatever I want.

But when you wake up before 7AM on a Saturday, drive down to Denver, feed the parking meters and are pumped to see a match -- all because you were told earlier in the week by "the staff" that the game was on -- then you can't truss this off as being understandable because they're not a sports bar.

This is a big reason why viewings at Fado aren't more popular.

Oh yeah, and spare me the "little wannabe Irish pub" routine. It's a chain, and all part of the Frank Day empire. Difference is that other Fado locations in the country don't seem to have as many "satellite problems" or bad experiences (not that I've heard, anyway) -- and that includes cities where they actually have competition for EPL, SPL and rugby broadcasts.

You said it yourself, the staff and the business itself puts these matches as a low priority in the grand scheme of things.

Thus, Buyer Beware.

"Most anyone" perhaps.

Just as you've had nothing but good experiences at Fado, I've got nothing but great memories of Marcus. Including when he got me primo seats at Craven Cottage.

Not saying you shouldn't consider him a tool -- given your tale of woe, that's a pretty lightweight moniker -- just that you shouldn't expect everyone to share the same view as you.

All that said, why are we giving each other *#*#*#*# here? I still think we haven't given wcgcapone enough crap for missing the LA trip.

24. Hosscat

Hosscat New Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Denver
    Wow... I never knew such a simple thread could cause such a ruckus.

It really does seem like footy is way down on the Denver Fado priority list (selling drinks/food, playing lame music, and catering to the Rockies/LoDo crowd being the top priorities). Juding by the threads I've read from people in other parts of the country, they don't seem to have a problem with their local Fado (our crappy Fado must be unique).

25. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here it is again. The Magic soccer bar finder.
    When a bar orders a match it goes into this data base. Just put a check mark on England vs Turkey and put in your zip and there you go. The match is not available for home purchase. :(
    Phone number is included so you can call and check and get cover charge info.

http://linux967.dn.net/setanta/jsp/NA_venues.jsp