England Toulon Tournament Thread 2017

Discussion in 'England' started by Marcho Gamgee, May 16, 2017.

1. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I'm not sure League Two Chesterfield would have been a good loan move. Based on his performances in Toulon he could perform at a higher level than that.

hussar repped this.
  3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    It's a bit disappointing that seemingly Everton are the only club interested in young English talent. Not to say there would be a bit of luxuriance for attacking midfielders with Dowell and almost certainly Bowler already there.

4. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Everton's policy is encouraging in a way but stockpiling youngsters is going to impact their own academy players advancing and for a team with champions league ambitions the manager is always going to be under pressure to favour experienced players rather than experimenting too much with youngsters.
    Plus they've got to impress Lukaku with their ambitions in the transfer market!
    Then you end up with a Chelsea/Man city situation of them needing to go out on loan to get first team football or playing under-23 which Brooks might as well be doing at Sheff Utd. Sad that he hasn't been given much of a chance at first team football as he was electric at Toulon but Wilder seems one to favour experience.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Brooks scored two for Sheffield United v Stocksbridge in a friendly at the weekend. The Everton interest has picked up again today, would be wise for him to try get a full season in the Championship though. There's already starting to be a logjam of English talent at Everton.

ChristianSur repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Alot of the speculation links other clubs to making a move for Brooks but only Everton are ever mentioned. Seems as if Everton were already at least slightly interested in Brooks before the Toulon because their new scout Jamie Hoyland was coach, academy boss at Sheffield United not long ago and has watched him quite a bit.

These are some quotes recently from Hoyland -
    "He’s a lad who got released off Man City when he was 16, so obviously his pedigree is good. I think he’s 19 - he still looks, probably, about 14/15. And that’s the thing about him, he’s still not developed physically [into] what he should be.

"I’ve seen Sheffield United’s Under-23s quite a lot. He’s a good player. He drifts, he can get on the ball, he’s got great balance, he goes past people and he can pick a pass."

"I think he’s going to Chesterfield on loan. [It's a] great test for him that because he’s come back from the Toulon Tournament, where he’s been terrific from what I can gather.

"It’ll be interesting now going into league football, like I was saying about development, it probably will toughen him up because it’s a different pace again, playing against men, and for three points as well where it really matters

"It’ll be a great test and if he comes through that with flying colours I think Chris will have a great player on his hands."

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/06/2...amie-hoyland-said-of-sheffield-uniteds-david/

It does look like a sign and loan out again type move if it comes off.

9. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've been following the Everton situation closely. Pity if this club loses it's academy/youth opportunity policy for first team. It's nice getting shiny signings for the u23s but we want to see players contributing for the first team.

Galloway, Browning, Garbutt were always surplus. Looks like Pennington is off to Boro or Hull.

Koeman dipping into the market & I just wonder where this may put Holgate, Lookman & Calvert-Lewin particularly.

No shirt numbers for Kenny, Connolly, Williams, Walsh & Dowell. I've seen Kenny, Williams & Dowell at pre-season training with the first team though. But you probably feel loans are on the cards.

ChristianSur repped this.
  10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    It would be a joke if they loan out Kenny with Coleman out with a serious injury.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    After a stellar Summer for our Youth teams, you get the feeling we're going to be left disappointed and frustrated with our Clubs overlooking young exciting talent once again. Just hope if they get loaned out, they are the right loans.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    They seem to have updated the list on their site. Kenny is now in it with the same number as before. Williams is named as 46, everyone else named above is out: http://www.evertonfc.com/news/2017/07/11/everton-squad-numbers-announced-for-201718

Kieran Dowell had 28 when he played before which makes him stand out among the omissions.

13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Interesting they changed it.

But so far so good. All going to Tanzania bar Walsh.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I would like to see Dowell go out on loan. He obviously has some ability, but there's a flimsiness to his play that could hold him back if he can't address it, and he isn't going to be pushed to do so in reserve football. Now's as good a time as any.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #115 Garibaldi11, Jul 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    Agree.

'Flimisiness' is an interesting word and probably describes him well (added with his floppy hair:D). He sort of strides around the pitch with an ease (can be quiet on ocassion) and possibly tries things that aren't on [flicks]and probably down to boredom of playing u23s. Certainly needs that next level to make his outcomes higher and game management better. You don't want to take his style & creativity away but outcomes need to be made higher if you want to become better.

So where to on loan ? Barnsley, Brentford or Burton would be nice.

I don't want him to lose that versatility he has. He seems to be able to play wide , #10 & almost a false #9 - The ease to his play is possibly a strength to with the way he strikes a ball as well. I've always thought he is an interesting player.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Surely any scouts watching Dowell couldn't have failed to be unimpressed by him. He resembled a wet lettuce.