England squad for Turkey game

Discussion in 'England' started by sendorange, Oct 7, 2003.

1. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-euroenglandsquad&prov=reuters&type=lgns
    No Rio after the twat forgot about his drug test. Given his form over the past month or so it's pretty clear he hasn't been taking anything performance enhancing, if he is then he should ask his dealer for his money back. It's a loss though, the Sol-Rio partnership is very strong and it leaves central defence a bit makeshift, a distracted Sol Campbell alongside a slow John Terry is the likely pairing. I'm not sure that we'll be able to keep a clean sheet, especially now that donkey Hakan Suker is supposedly injured for them.

That means scoring is important, Michael Owen is travelling, but unless he can run at 100% full speed and acceleration then he should be left on the bench. Pace is vital against Turkey, as Alpay-Bulent and Tugay just can't handle it. Vassel showed in the first game that he can give them a big problem, but I think Rooney-Heskey is what Sven will have to go for and that does look good. Very physically strong pairing, lets Heskey be a target man and Rooney will drop deep and run at the defence.

Midfield should be the same as the first game, with Gerrard-Butt-Scholes-Beckham.

Maybe Sven will follow Big Ron's thinking and play Scholes as a second forward with Heskey. That would then most likely put Lampard (!) and Butt in the middle, Rooney on the bench and probably Gerrard still tucked in on the left. Or maybe Gerrard for Lampard and Hargreaves on the left. This is just idle speculation though ;)

Oh well, either way I'll be glad to get this game out of the way. Such a load of hot air and drama about one stupid match, where both teams will probably qualify anyway even with a playoff.

2. cosmosRIP

cosmosRIP Member

Jul 22, 2000
    Brooklyn NY
    Also...
    Darius Vassell.

3. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    I'm praying for a good performance from Gerrard and Scholes. If we can match the Turks for passing and creativity we will win the game. Their mid-field is by far their strongest asset (perhaps only asset?)

A radical team selection might be:

James
    Neville Sol Terry/Upson Cole
    Becks Butt Gerrard Heskey
    Scholes
    Owen/Rooney/Beattie

Could use both Butt and Gerrard to break down their midfield passing, Heskey can join the attack when we are in possession and Scholes can make that telling through ball to the striker. If it isn't working Heskey can come forward and the mid-field can revert to flat 4 or diamond shape.

4. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England