England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Anyone not happy to see Gomez back to fitness must think our CB pool is a lot deeper than it looks to me. Maguire went to the Euros on crutches for a reason. If Gomez is fit and starting for Liverpool come October he's in the squad.

RobTheFool, roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Gomez doesn't come into consideration for me until he can go a season uninjured

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    October might be too early for Gomez. Probably best to give him until the end of this year to see where he is at. Considering the schedule those breaks might help him for 2022.

I wouldn’t be leaving him out of any long term plans though. If he’s playing PL and CL football next year he’s going to be tough to ignore.

Marcho Gamgee and wellno repped this.
  4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Would rather put faith in konsa tomori etc than an injury prone but clearly talented gomez

5. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    That's completely arbitrary. If he can do ~6 games in a row for Liverpool he can do ~2 games in a row for England.

Of course not everyone reaches the same level after a big injury like that so, IMO, one of Gomez's big plus points right now is he's shown come back strong from a similar injury before.

People ITT talk about White and Tomori [edit: and Konsa] as great prospects to have. Gomez is the same age and, despite his injuries, wipes the floor with them experience-wise.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You can make a good argument that we should not be relying on a player in Gomez’ predicament. But we shouldn’t be ostracising him. He’s one of our few CB’s that will have the opportunity to play CL football before the WC.

Limiting our depth by placing stipulations makes no sense to me. Let’s see what he’s like next year. Similar to Stones’ return. I know that wasn’t injury but it still shows we shouldn’t give up on options.

7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I have to say our centre back options for next season are starting to look quite good. Also its not as if Stones and Magure lets us down in the Euros either.

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm not ostracising him. Hes a world class defender when at full fitness. He's always been my favourite English centreback. He gives us more depth when u think we have stones maguire white tomori konsa already. Not to mention Keane Godfrey. Our options are looking France esque. Well maybe not quiet that level

9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    No doubt but I think that we need to see how other centre backs perform and fit into the team because you cannot rely on Gomez to be fit.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

11. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Gomez is obviously good, and players can come back from injury issues as often as they don't these days. Especially when it's big injuries opposed to constantly getting niggly ones.

If he can get fit and start regularly for Liverpool then of course he'll be under consideration, if he can't then he won't - fairly obvious really

12. WeekendSleeper

Derby County
    England
    Apr 2, 2021

Ings to Villa. Have seen reports linking Southamption with Adam Armstrong for his replacement, would be interesting to see how he does in the Prem

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    As a Blackburn fan hes a very limited player. Misses alot of chances. Don't expect another ollie Watkins

14. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Where will Ings play then? Will Watkins move out to the left?

15. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    Lots of English players seem to be moving clubs at the minute.

As a city fan it’s exciting from an England perespective. Stones, walker, Sterling, foden, grealish and maybe Kane.. starting for us. It’s been a while since we had an English striker - Sturridge and Robbie Fowler come to mind

roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Grealish to City will be an interesting one. Guardiola's teams carry no passengers and Grealish will be taught to work without the ball which can only be good for him and England. Also pleased for Ings and Southgate will hopefully notice him more.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Barcelona announcing that Messi will leave the club might mean Kane gets stuck at Spurs if City come in for him.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I know social media isn't the real world, but the reactions from some Villa fans is pathetic. The kid could have jumped ship years ago when they were relegated, or failed to bounce straight back. He gave them several of his prime years to get them back, and o don't see how anyone can begrudge him wanting to play at a higher level in the Champions League and challenge for the title. He's 26 in a few months, and may never get that opportunity if he was to stay.

W.A.S.P., Gaz811, hussar and 2 others repped this.
  20. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Seriously exciting, great to see him under Guardiola which should help his England chances. Just need Southgate to ditch his defensive mindset now.

where does everyone reckon he’ll play? You have to think Foden will still play so it is probably Sterling who will lose the most game time? Harsh as he had a great summer

W.A.S.P., Toosaul and roverman repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don’t bother looking or reacting on social media ( Twitter ), just a bunch of bitters who don’t or won’t understand his situation for wanting to try and win trophies which if we’re honest he wouldn’t do at Villa anytime soon. I understand their disappointment but they shouldn’t really be surprised by this move for someone with his talent. He needs to be playing with the best and challenging himself against the best, it’s only natural.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Rumour is Pep is going to play him as a number 8 so probably not on the wings but obviously there will be work to do on his defensive side of his game. Nothing that can’t be sorted though and Pep and the coaching staff will probably be working on that side of his game. Buzzing with the signing though :)

RobTheFool, TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Everything suggests that Messi will go to PSG though. I think Levy's still Kane's main issue.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I don't think Southgate is going to change his mindset at all. Steve Holland said they went defensive because historically defensive teams are more successful. Historically, England teams do worse than Southgate's England teams. Some people might argue it's a groundswell of talent dragging the team forward but the coaches will feel vindicated. The approach isn't going anywhere.

I also don't buy the implication that he'll play more now just because he's at a CL club. Phil Foden played 25 minutes at the Euros after underwhelming in the first two group games. Grealish, the Aston Villa player, was involved in every game where we needed an impact off the bench.

Unless Guardiola coaches Grealish into being a different kind of player, which would mean a less exciting and direct player, Southgate already knows his qualities and how he wants to use them.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think they will feel vindicated to a certain point of view but they shouldn’t feel they have to play that way all the time especially how the final went when it needed changing and they didn’t react quick enough when everyone could see the problems. We need to evolve, not stand still because they think we need to be defensive all the time to win a trophy especially when currently we don’t have those defensive midfielders that can play through the lines and control a game.

roverman repped this.