England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He’s pretty well rounded but not sure he’s actually better than Stones or Maguire. White, Tomori and a little further forward Harwood-Bellis and Guehi will add to our options.

roverman repped this.
  2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    You forgot about Godfrey.

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Konsa

4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Don’t rate him at the level of the others mate.

roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Me neither. Looks very clumsy in possession. Doesn't look the sort of defender that Southgate likes

6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Sterling, Grealish, Foden and Sancho are all ahead of Rashford for me anyway. If he’s out until October I don’t think it will impact us too much.

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Jack grealish has statistically better numbers than all city players bar de bruyne and sterling last Season. He could walk into that city team

8. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    He's much better than Tomori. Also Southgate rates him, maybe because he can play anywhere though CB is his best position.

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think he's anywhere near as good as tomori

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. lobomojo

lobomojo Member+

Chelsea, Gillingham
    Jul 17, 2004
    Freedom
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Where is a Grealish rabbit-hole when needed:confused::cautious:

[​IMG]

11. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #86 Red Bird, Jul 31, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    With my reds hat, I’d say he’s at least as good as them (Maguire and Stones.) If fit, that is. Which bring me to his injuries the record of which is not as dire as publicly claimed although it will be interesting to see how quickly he recovers from this one.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I find it quite amusing, before the Euro’s he was a player that England should build a team around, star quality etc, etc but now he seems pretty close to a City move, he’s overrated, not worth the money and Kaide Gordon is better than him! You just gotta love the social media footy fans, so bizarre!

roverman and lobomojo repped this.
  13. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Mate… social media is toxic. Just look at the negativity on any Twitter post from the official England account.

W.A.S.P., AJ123, hussar and 2 others repped this.
  14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It's comparing apples to oranges.
    At Villa, everything goes through him. At City, he would be one of several.
    I would expect some of his numbers to go down (chances created, touches etc) and some to go up (assists, big chances created etc), as he would see slightly less of the ball in general, but would have better options when he does.

I think what;s interesting is where Pep would be looking to play him. Is he looking at him as one of the front three, with Foden getting more time in midfield, or does he see Foden on the left and Grealish playing deeper?

roverman and hussar repped this.
  15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's 24 and has missed 136 games through injury. That's the equivalent of 3 seasons at 45 games per season. His injury record is appalling and at this point it would be more sensible to look at other options for England because he's looking like another Phil Jones or Jack Wilshere.

16. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #91 Red Bird, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    Not entirely true. You’re just throwing similes and meaningless numbers about. Where do you get 136 games from? He missed a number of games because he wasn’t selected in the first place with Matip and Lovrén ahead of him for a long time. Until about the last one had half seasons …

17. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/joe-gomez/verletzungen/spieler/256178

18. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #93 Red Bird, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    136 games was so precise, for a moment three I actually thought you an inside lane to the Liverpool medical room.

I took the liberty of exploring the “injury” records of other players— you’d be surprised at how “injury prone” they are yet they made a positive contribution to their club’s and England’s causes over the last few seasons.

My original point about Gomez being equally as good as the other two still holds. It was when he partnered van Dyk that Liverpool achieved the defensive solidity which helped win the title.

19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Of course he could make a positive contribution along the line but his injury record is a significant worry.

20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder how many non-Liverpool fans would agree with this.

21. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We’ll, you’re on an England board not an anti-Liverpool one.

22. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    doesn't matter how good Gomez is he is made of glass and will be injured again by October

23. Red Bird

Red Bird Member+

Sep 30, 2003
    Oxford
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's wait and see, shall we not? October is not far off.

wellno repped this.
  24. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    ???

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It's an England forum. We're concerned with what's best for the England team. Can we really plan a side including a player with the kind of injury record that Gomez has? It's about being practical. At age 24 he's missed the past two major tournaments through injury so it would be illogical to get excited about him as an England player. We're better off looking beyond him. That's not to say he can't contribute but he's unreliable.

roverman repped this.