England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well I imagine it will be a challenge for him to get back to being first choice (I.e starting the bigger matches.)

2. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Has everyone forgot James Justin? He can play anywhere across the back line and as a wingback (and play it well). If Chilwell doesn't make it (and I still think he will) he would be next in line I would've thought.

3. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I feel like he was one of the players Southgate sees as more for Euro’s 2024.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think that Dier and Eze may get called up at the next break. I think Gareth will persist with 5 at the back which suits Dier. Southgate seems to really like Eze too. He name checked him when he was nowhere the squad in the past.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    He played until injured in June. If Shaw and Chilwell are not available (for whatever reason), does he not pick Justin because he thinks its too early.

I am not sure I think this reasoning is justified. Sterling came in young, So did Owen. Some players can burst onto the scene. And it isn't like Southgate hasn't showin himself to be inconsistent. He wouldn't pick Grealish whilst he was in the Championship, then picked Phillips who had never played in the Prem.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Add to this that come tournament time we will probably have six or so options in the standby selection. At the last Euros the likes of White, Greenwood, Godfrey and Watkins were selected with zero or very few caps.

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Was there any calls to play Grealish before Villa came back up in 2019? I don’t remember.

I do find the reasoning a bit odd but it’s what he said in June and many of the press interpreted as him implying he will go older for the next squad.

8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Southgate being an ex centre -back should be brave and courageous yet he’s meek and mild and scared of his own shadow

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7984 Fireburn47, Aug 16, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I wonder if players saying they want to focus on making the World Cup can backfire ar some clubs where managers clearly don’t like them thinking about something other than the club. At least one as publicly said that while others do support their players trying to make the World Cup and publicly advocate for them.

12. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Brighton boss Graham Potter has outlined his future managerial ambitions
    The Englishman admitted the England job is a 'challenging' prospect
    Potter is widely viewed as the successor to current boss Gareth Southgate

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Of the 49 players on my long list (I have added Callum Wilson to the list.) 37 started, 6 came on as subs, 3 sat on the bench and 3 were absent. Last weeks figures were 37 started, 4 came on as subs, 6 sat on the bench, 3 were absent and 2 had not started their league.

15. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It’s the old , old story

Too many good players to choose from and about 99% of them would walk into the teams of Scotland, Wales or Ireland

They just have more pride and desire plus competent managers

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    On the plus side We the only team to have made at least the semis of the last two major tournaments and half of our squad seem to struggle to get their mojo back in the aftermath of the Euro final which shows their desire and how much losing upset them.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Everton have walked away from buying Harry Winks so who knows where he will end up. He can’t really stay at spurs where he will do well to make a bench or two if he is still there in September 1st.

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Klopp has announced Joe Gomez will start for Liverpool on Monday. A good performance there and he might be on Southgate’s radar despite limited game tim.

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    A Telegraph article from a few weeks ago that I had missed.

The key squad decisions facing Gareth Southgate ahead of 2022 World Cup

Qatar 2022 is still five months away but Gareth Southgate has just two games to answer the outstanding questions surrounding this squad.

Gareth Southgate uses an old-fashioned flip-chart in his home back in Yorkshire to write out the names of the players he intends to take to the World Cup.

Early next month the England manager will find out if it will be a squad of 23 or – as expected – 26 who he can name on Tuesday Nov 8 as he continues the process of fine-tuning what he calls his “batting order”.

There are now just two matches in September – away to Italy and at home to Germany - and a maximum of nine days in total with his players before they fly to Qatar on Tuesday Nov 15. Six days later they kick off against Iran and play three group games in eight days.

With the hectic calendar and following the disappointing Nations League campaign – with England gaining just two points from four games, scoring just one goal and losing twice to Hungary – it is likely Southgate will revert to his ‘tried and tested’ squad.

The schedule is going to be relentless and, obviously, England are not alone in that although they are the only major country persisting with a second domestic cup while clubs in Europe will have their group game schedule condensed.

The Champions League group matches start earlier, for example, on Sep 6 and finish on Nov 2 – more than a month ahead of the usual calendar. Also, usually, clubs play around 12 Premier League games up until the middle of November. Next season it will be 16.

So with time running out, who should Southgate pencil in to his squad with just five months’ preparation left?

Goalkeepers
    It is the one department where everything appears clear: Jordan Pickford number one, Aaron Ramsdale number two – although he was shaky against Hungary - and Nick Pope as number three goalkeeper. Pope’s club future is up in the air given Burnley’s relegation but even if he drops down to the Championship he is unlikely to lose his place. His nearest challenger is Dean Henderson who needs to resolve his own club situation with Manchester United and is closing in on a move to Nottingham Forest. Similarly if Sam Johnstone can find the right club he has an outside chance.

Defence
    Just when it appeared Southgate has decided to go with a back-four and persist with it he appears to have changed his mind. After the chastening 4-0 defeat to Hungary, Southgate spoke about being less “expansive” and playing fewer attacking players. The back-three, with wing-backs has earned a reprieve. He will tighten things up and grind out results.

Southgate has suggested that Trent Alexander-Arnold is third in the pecking order among his right-backs but the likelihood is he will take three (with Reece James and Kyle Walker who can both play on the right of a three) and four if Kieran Trippier is classified as one. Given England’s struggles on the left Trippier is likely to go as a left-back, in fact, along with one of Luke Shaw or Ben Chilwell depending on who is fit and in form.

Southgate has big decisions to make in central defence. He will take Harry Maguire and John Stones and will be tempted to include Conor Coady, not least because he is a ‘good tourist’ while Ben White, Fikayo Tomori and Marc Guehi are probably vying for two – or maybe even one – place.

Midfield
    Declan Rice is a definite starter. Beyond that it depends on the combinations Southgate wants to use – a midfield three or a two (either in a 3-4-3 or a 4-2-3-1) – with Kalvin Phillips the most likely candidate. However does this give the team enough creativity and how do you fit in Jude Bellingham?

Jordan Henderson should go and not least because of his big-game experience and influence while Conor Gallagher offers something the rest do not provide - a goal threat – but disappointed against Hungary and may miss out. It is a surprise that Southgate has not tried Mason Mount out in a deeper role as using him in midfield might make it easier to find the right balance in the team with a player who he appears determined to pick. James Ward-Prowse offers great set-piece ability and is one of the few regular penalty-takers although the inclusion of Kieran Trippier does provide expertise in that area.

Attack
    As Gareth Southgate has highlighted, in a sign of his frustration, England are far too dependent on Harry Kane and Raheem Sterling for their goals. It is a big problem - as is the issue as to who can under-study Kane. Tammy Abraham did ok against Italy but no more and does he deserve inclusion? It feels like he is in by default although one goal in four Nations League ties for England, and that from a penalty, is a real concern for the squad.

In fact, Southgate’s best options, should Kane be injured, might include re-jigging his approach by, for example, playing Raheem Sterling through the middle. It might also earn a reprieve for Marcus Rashford although the chances of Southgate selecting him at present are slim.

There is further frustration that Phil Foden has not managed to get a rhythm of games to find the right role for him with England. And that is without mentioning Jack Grealish who appears destined to be one of those players who polarises opinion and is the subject of debate. In truth his most effective role appears to be making an impact from the bench.

England World Cup Squad - Defenders
    • Reece James
    • Trent Alexander-Arnold
    • Kyle Walker
    • John Stones
    • Harry Maguire
    • Fikayo Tomori
    • Marc Guehi
    • Ben Chilwell
    • Kieran Trippier
    • England World Cup Squad - Midfielders
      • Declan Rice
      • Kalvin Phillips
      • Jordan Henderson
      • Mason Mount
      • Jude Bellingham
      • Conor Gallagher
      • James Ward-Prowse

England World Cup Squad - Forwards
      • Harry Kane
      • Raheem Sterling
      • Phil Foden
      • Jack Grealish
      • Jarrod Bowen
      • Bukayo Saka
      • Marcus Rashford

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Bowen wouldn’t make my squad. He doesn’t suit the system and I’m not convinced he’s up to the standard required either.

Someone mentioned Eze as an option and the more you think of it he would be very useful as a squad option in the system we will play. We are crying out for players that can dribble and carry the ball forward. Much more suited to what we need than Bowen.

Marcho Gamgee, ChristianSur and roverman repped this.
  21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’ve always rated him ..

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He looked great the other evening

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah I like Eze a lot

Is he injury hit though ?

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    One major Achilles injury in May 2021 which took the whole of last season to fully recover from in terms of form. Seems to be pretty much back to what he was before which is not an easy thing with Achilles injury. Other than that he is injury record is two very minor ones that kept him out for a couple of days at a time.

I think his position is not one where I feel a debutant has a realistic chance of making Qatar unless injures rule some of his competitors out. Might be wrong through.

25. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    According to the Daily Mail Maguire might be dropped for Man United’s next match which is making him consider moving away with Chelsea considering an bid for him.

We could well have a situation where three defenders who are not first choice are starting for England at the World Cup (Maguire, Stones and Shaw/Chilwell)