England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Through with how Southgate has talked about Saka this year I think he would use him as LWB reluctantly. It’seems Southgate prefers him playing in other positions.

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    His best position now is right wing though

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Kane?

4. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Yeah .. Kane is excellent.. for Spurs

I do worry about cover for him though as he does pick up injuries

roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I wonder how many players we could be having in Qatar who have only played 50% or less of possible minutes.

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It looks as though everything possible will be stacked against us to be honest

The only good thing is that we shall be shut of Gareth afterwards

7. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The more things stacked against us the more likely he will be seen as doing his best under difficult circumstances. If Kane gets injured there would no expectation of any success at all so people would see even getting out of the group as big achievement.

France are as well having a poor buildup - injury and fitness decline of key players, poor nations league, rumours of dressing room splits.

8. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Na ..

I’m sure that they will make the right decision next so that’s either Graham Potter or Eddie Howe or Brendan Rodgers

9. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7959 Fireburn47, Aug 15, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Rodgers is most likely of the three to be unemployed then so could be in contention.

I think this World Cup will be quite unpredictable through. I could easily see it being quite surprising with some teams in form struggling (I can see a poor tournament for at least one of Spain, Germany, Brazil or Argentina.) and some less in form teams doing well. Southgate has twice before suddenly improved performances at tournaments from turgid buildups so I’m not counting that out until the World Cup starts.

10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    How did I miss Harvey Elliott !!

Currently running the game on Sky Sports

11. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think he is one for 2023 onwards. I don’t think he has much chance of making Qatar.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s arguably our most in form midfielder

:)

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    It’s hard to judge form after two matches of the season. Making radical changes just to fit lots of in form players who have never played together doesn’t work very often. And especially a player younger than all bar Bellingham when Southgate has told us he is going to use more older players.

14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes also excellent for England

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7965 Fireburn47, Aug 15, 2022
    In realty it’s only really right back and attacking midfielders where we don’t have major form or depth concerns.

The notable ones.
    Left Back - Shaw out of form and I can see him being dropped from Man United starts soon. Chilwell looks like he won’t get many more first team minutes before the World Cup and is not really in the picture. Mitchell doesn’t seem to have really impressed Southgate. Is going to be a postion of weakness for England for a long while to come.
    Centre back - Maguire out of form. Stones not playing. Mings up and down. Coady and Dier only fitting certian systems. White seems to be injury prone. Tomroi not impressed for England yet.
    Defensive midfielder - Big drop off if anyone is injured.
    Centre forward - Big drop of Kane is injured. Again a position of long term weakness,

16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Plus with two weeks to go this transfer window as not been that great for English players. Many moves that have concerned many of us have happened.

17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Plus CBs and CFs ...

So that’s just about the whole damn team

18. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7968 Fireburn47, Aug 15, 2022
    I put them. We have one outstanding centre forward and centre backs are a mess of out of form and inexperienced at international level.

I imagine you won’t be happy to hear Jamie Carragher has predicted Rice is the next England Captain.

https://insidefutbol.com/2022/08/15...ch-would-be-bad-news-for-everton-star/573473/
    I really don’t see it unless Pickford has a terrible time in September or is injured.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A lot of these ‘concerns’ are quite frankly absurd IMO.

A big drop off if Kane gets injured? That is the case for pretty much any elite talent in any team. Why is that being raised as an issue? Like we have to have Lewandowski, Haaland and Kane all competing for one spot to be comfortable? lol

We have a player playing that same role who has just had a record breaking season in Serie A. When have we ever had that before?

Ollie Watkins among others has looked good when given chances.

The only centre back that has had a big drop in form is Maguire and I very much doubt he’ll be expected to do what he’s doing at Man Utd for England anyway. Southgate for all his flaws has protected his CB’s well when it has mattered.

We’ve got issues in certain areas and some of it is self inflicted via coaching but some people are just searching for doom and gloom wherever their thoughts travel.

W.A.S.P., ChristianSur, Gaz811 and 5 others repped this.
  20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saka and Bowen are the right attackers

both deserve to play be in the squad but using Saka as a lwb in a system proven to lose against good sides is dumb to me

Southgate has done well but I think he’s reached his peak. Not good enough tactically to get over the line

we have so many better options than a mason mount in a free role 5 at the back

Imo he should not be starting for England and is part of the problem (work rate over creativity)

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    The problem is not that many really experienced LWB for Southgate to choose from. Chilwell has been told he will only be a sub at club level for the foreseeable future. Shaw is out of form and possibly heading towards being a sub only as well. The others don’t seem to be rated by Southgate much. Picking someone with tournament experience could better than trying someone Southgate doesn’t really trust.

I don’t think Southgate rates Foden as much as some people. Even since he lost his starting place during the euros he has felt like a second choice player. Will be intresting to see if in September he can make it back to a starting role in a near first choice line up. If you take his comments at face value him and Mount are challenging for one starting place.

22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    If I remember correctly, you were 100% sure last December that Chilwell would not recover in time. Yet he did.
    You are equally sure that he will not play then. And as a BL participant Chelsea will certainly not push through the autumn with only one left-back, but it doesn't matter.
    You also seem equally certain that Shaw can be written off after two games, maybe his whole career is over.
    What else is there to worry about with less than 3 months to go until the World Cup?

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Has Chillwell actually been told that?

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Well Tuchel was quoted as saying he is keeping Chilwell as a sub for the next games as he lacks rhythm as he comes back from injury

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ok, that’s not that bad and probably understandable. I presumed you meant he’d just been dropped because of the new signing.