England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Broken record! I think you have shattered it and the record player permanently damaged….

lobomojo and AJ123 repped this.
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    With the timing of the tournament I don’t even think certain players need to be regular starters to make the squad. You would hope the last games have highlighted to Southgate how important it is to have genuine left backs in the squad. Saying that I’ve thought sticking Trippier in that position has always been ridiculous.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Fireburn, it’s got extremely boring. He might do this, he might be thinking that, it’s possible that this might happen and you never know in a worst case scenario x y and x might follow each other in the alphabet!

You just sound like an Irish troll.

Your musings make you sound like the Victor Meldrew of English football.

roverman repped this.
  4. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Shaw should make it unless he is injured. I believe he has had a good pre season and I’ve seen people saying he looks back to his best.

We will see in September what he does. I do hope we don’t get Trippier in that position starting against either Germany or Italy.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    September will be interesting. I expect we are going to go with the same approach as the Euros. If he is still stubborn enough to be picking only one left back? That is going to be a worrying sign.

I’m not expecting massive change. The timing of the tournaments do not allow that. Southgate isn’t a very adaptable coach either. But not learning about what goes wrong is just ridiculous.

Is anyone still supportive of playing Trippier at left back?

6. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I really don’t see him picking Mitchell who is the only proper left back he has tried Post euros, Not sure Justin or Walker Peters - who have more club experiences of playing at the left than Trippier does will be called up either. If Chilwell improves from his pre season performances and makes a couple of appearances maybe he will be in but Southgate is not a particular fan of him (Look how quickly he dropped him last September due to his poor start to the season.) Odds are only one will be picked for both September and November. As I’ve said before if Shaw gets injured I honestly could see him having none.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Closing this thread soon. Pretty much all things will be WC related at senior level now. All the build up from then will go into the England WC tournament thread.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    We still have Nations League games.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, I was thinking they would be pretty much preparation games considering the schedule. OK. Lets just leave this thread up until after those games.

10. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7760 Fireburn47, Aug 4, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    Looks like Ross Barkley will leave Chelsea. Hard to believe he has 33 caps and played 8 times in 2019 with how the last few years have gone for him.

11. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Barkley going back to Everton apparently

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thought I read they weren’t interested in him going back. They changed their mind?

13. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Guess they may be getting desperate after losing their best player in Richarlison then then losing Calvert Lewin for months

14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7764 Fireburn47, Aug 4, 2022
    Just quoting myself to say Chelsea now buying a player in his position (Who can and will play in other positions but is primarily a left back) who is 15% more expensive than he was (Despite ‘English tax’) really does make me wonder what his season will bring.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Mate, you really need to relax on this, let’s just see what happens….

lobomojo and roverman repped this.
  16. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7766 Fireburn47, Aug 4, 2022
    It’s a very interesting one to watch. Even the Athletic writers are speculating on Twitter.

17. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #7767 Fireburn47, Aug 4, 2022
    Everton and Newcastle both reported to be interested in Conor Coady as he is no longer a first choice starter at Wolves and therefore he feels that he needs to be starting to make the World Cup.

Talking about centre and right backs. One or more is going to have to controversially miss out if there are no injures. September will be a big clue as to who. I think Dier might make a return as Southgate pivots to tournament experience.

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Coady at Newcastle would be interesting

I’ve always liked him .. great leader with a fabulous long ball on him

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Depends how Spurs start the season !

So many new players they could be absolutely dreadful

20. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think it would suit him more than Everton. Through it does seem more likely he will be returning home to Merseyside than going to the North east.

21. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Speculation that due to injuries to others Gomez will get minutes in the first few matches for Liverpool. Considering all the reports that Southgate really likes him I wonder how much playing time could be enough for him to be seriously considered for a recall. I think it could be less than what many people would need to be considered.

22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I’ve always liked Gomez - shame about his injuries

23. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nketiah has come a long way. His form this season could get him into the squad

looks bigger and stronger and arteta has used him with Jesus pre season

roverman repped this.
  24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I think sadly he will defect to Ghana before Southgate gets to use him.

25. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Nay sayer. Have faith

wellno repped this.