England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Didn't read it lol

2. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The abuse Maguire has had has been mental.

Iansutton270390 and roverman repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I didn’t see the game as was on a all day session in Copenhagen but I’m sure it was his fault they lost 4-0….

Iansutton270390 and roverman repped this.
  4. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I think he played one of there players on, while sitting on the bench.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    He did play for the last twenty minutes.

6. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Another great game for pickford. If Everton stay up a large part of it will be thanks to him.

roverman repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Pickford's really underrated, best keeper England have had in a long time and actually turns up for tournaments. It's disgraceful that every window people are always talking him up and wanting him replaced by whoevers been in brief good form when he's been so good for England.

Gaz811, roverman and hussar repped this.
  8. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    The interplay between Grealish, Foden & Sterling for their last goal today was excellent.

Glad Southgate went with the younger Mitchell instead as some pundits were calling for Cresswell to be recalled.

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Walker and stones out for the season. I really think tomori should get a recall. He's on the verge of being a seria a winner

Gaz811 repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Surely Liverpool’s Gomez will be recalled now .. back in form plus he plays at CB or RB

roverman repped this.
  11. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He's played 285 minutes in the league this season and is basically a League Cup level player for Liverpool now. We shouldn't be rewarding players accepting this kind of role for their teams.

With Walker, Trippier and Livramento out it raises the possibility of bringing Lamptey into the squad although I think there are questions if he's really been good enough to deserve a call. He's still yet to really establish himself as an XI player for Brighton. James Tavernier is a leftfield option. He's been outstanding for Rangers in the past few seasons. It would be nice to see someone like him get a cap.

I would like to see us try to get Trent and James in the starting eleven. James is playing as the right sided centre back in the three for Chelsea more and more. We could have him playing there and Trent as the RWB.

Regis Prograis and roverman repped this.
  12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Gomez has featured recently was my point plus he has played really well .. given that Southgate likes him I just presumed he’d be a natural choice

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    He has played a few games against weaker opposition recently to give TAA a rest. I don't think he should be rewarded given his squad role. He should really look to move clubs for regular football but there's some talk of him signing a new contract there. He's their 4th choice centre back now.

Maybe Southgate will call him up but I tihnk it would be a mistake. Tomori should be ahead of him for one. Even Eric Dier who is a mainstay in Spurs's defence.

Marcho Gamgee and roverman repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Trippier is back. He came on at 68 minutes yesterday againat Man City. I suspect he will be called up unless he gets injured again.

Anyway Southgate has an habit of calling up established players who haven’t players for weeks due to injury who then withdraw - what are odds one of Walker or Stones end up in that category.
    Southgate does apparently really like Gomez but it’s been reported several times he thinks he should leave Liverpool so I’m not sure he will call him up.

When is the squad announced?

15. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #5765 Fireburn47, May 9, 2022
    Last edited: May 9, 2022
    As while the England players who would be in realistic contention for a possible call out injured are
    Ben White
    Jacob Ramsey
    Ben Chilwell
    Marc Guehi
    John Stones
    Kyle Walker
    Marcus Rashford
    Jadon Sancho
    Luke Shaw
    Tino Livramento
    Oliver Skipp
    Maximilian Kilman

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If he signs a new contract there and being in the squad position he currently is in then he can kiss his International career away and probably tells you that he’s just content with a squad place earning a good living without much pressure. I guess in some industries you would say fair enough but in football, you could make a name for yourself as a legend for your Club and Country of which Gomez won’t become by staying at Liverpool but it’s his lifestyle choice.

17. Beer and Footy

Beer and Footy New Member

Liverpool FC
    Canada
    Jul 31, 2020
    Toronto
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  18. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Welcome Beer and Footy. Just wondering how do you think Canada will get on at the world cup.I hear nothing but good things about John Herdman.

19. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    Surely Sterling can't start for England. He really overcomplicates games via over dribbling to corners. He covers it up with that one goal to boost his stats but they flatter to deceive.

But given how poor Rashford, Grealish and Sancho have been I don't see how he can't start lol.

20. Regis Prograis

Regis Prograis Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    Feb 8, 2020
    Sure he can, he has 31 combined goals and assist in his last 30 England games, and has a good chemistry with Kane making run in behind, and is a senior figure in the team, he’ll probably start.

TopBanana10, roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Over the last 2 or 3 years Stirling has produced for England. Sometimes more than Kane.

roverman and Fireburn47 repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Wow. We're critising the one player who other than kane actually makes a big impact for England. When I say we I mean one poster

23. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Daily Mail saying Marc Guehi should be fit enough to play next month and he will be selected if he is as Southgate was impressed by his performance in March.

24. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    If he stays fit he could be a future first choice CB for England. The amount of talent Chelsea has p*ssed away is unbelievable.

roverman repped this.
  25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think our strongest 11 in a 433 would look like this (not sure about left back this year) based on form this year

……………..Kane

sterling…………….saka

……….foden…Bellingham

……………..rice

Shaw…..tomori….stones…..taa

……………..ramsdale