England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Plus he seems to be excelling when used as a sub.

2. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
  3. spiritof66

spiritof66 Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Interesting quotes this Friday from Gary Neville on his personal LinkedIn page:

"Thought of the Week: 'Don’t go too early.'"
    "This is something that I often say to myself in punditry."
    "You form a view on something either in haste or we always tell ourselves sayings like 'trust your first instincts', 'I knew I didn’t like them after 5 mins.'"
    "However, I interviewed Declan Rice this week for the overlap and I judged him as a young player at West Ham."
    "I have to say I got it completely wrong. What an outstanding young person."
    "Authoritative, confident, humble and quite simply the most impressive young footballer I’ve interviewed in 11 years."
    "He’s also a fantastic talent and I went too early!"

The 'Rice is overrated/should be a CB' brigade is looking even more foolish by the week, when even long-term hold-outs such as Neville and Souness are changing their tune on him and admitting their mistakes.

roverman repped this.
  4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Is there any suggestion that he wants to play for Côte d'Ivoire?

5. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #3380 Fireburn47, Jan 29, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    No. He seems very loyal to the English set up. He is very close friends with Conor Gallagher so will likely want to join him in the seniors.

If he does get called up in March his debut might well be in the second Match against the Cote D’Ivoire.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ivory Coast are a poor team right now so I Don think he will be that interested in playing for them

7. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I haven't really been watching this lad much to be honest but he seems to be getting lots of good reviews on here and by pundits etc. Is his form really warranting a call up?

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Better form than maguire and more games than stones

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  9. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Jesus, we're screwed for centre halfs at the moment. Last year, we had an abundance of them all playing top level football but they've all seemed to drop off or get injured this season.

roverman repped this.
  10. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I heard that Villa were looking at Gomez bit they got Chambers yesterday so I presume he’s staying at Liverpool for now

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ben White is still playing well. Tomori is injured. Gomez isn't getting games. Maguire is a bombscare. Stones should play more. Konsa I don't know. Dunk should be more involved

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Read somewhere the best defence was Wolves ...

Coady

13. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Coady is doing quite well this season. If only one is dropped for lack of form it shouldn’t be him.

Gaz811 repped this.
  14. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Maguire and Stones are the type of players to suddenly put in an outstanding match for England after lengthy club mediocrity.

Gaz811 and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not that I’ve heard but for sure they will want him I’m sure. My point sort of got muddled along the way, my bad. I was sort of trying to say that if calling up Dier was just to make up numbers in the squad I would rather call up some younger defenders who’s ceiling is probably higher ( like Guehi for example ) and if they are Duals who might get there head turned, would rather take a chance on them and get them integrated in the squad. Just thinking of the future really.

roverman repped this.
  16. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah dont know whats happening with Gomez. I watched him in person a few years back and he was a fantastic prospect. I wonder if injuries are just going to hamper his progress.
    I have a mate who works in the Leicester setup and there's rumours that brendan Rodgers will make a play for him in the summer but I don't know how reliable that source is.
    Would make sense, given Rodgers brought him into Liverpool and the lack of cb obtions leiceater have at the moment.

17. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    A large part of Maguires problem is Man utd have been a basket case for the last few months. Also when he plays for England he has Rice and Phillips in front of him, Where as at Utd he has Fred and Mctominay.

roverman repped this.
  18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Oddly they are arguably Uniteds best two players this season :)

19. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    Talking about them too. Moyes apparently wants to buy Phillips and also keep Rice and play them both next season.

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Thats not really saying a lot.But Rice is turning into one of the best midfielders in the league and Phillips was a machine in the euros.

21. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Pretty obvious they are just getting in a replacement for Rice

22. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    #3397 Fireburn47, Jan 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jesus, I mean he’s innocent until proven guilty and all that but if that’s true, that’s pretty horrific and he probably needs some sort of professional help. Poor girl going through all that also :(

24. Fireburn47

Fireburn47 Member+

West Ham United
    England
    Nov 5, 2021
    I suspect it will end up not going to court as the CPS are often hesitant to prosecute in cases like this where someone has spoke out about their abuse.

25. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Horrific stuff. Hard to see him coming back from this. Although it’s very much secondary in light of the apparent abuse, it’s hard to see him playing for England now.