England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #1 BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    [​IMG]

Upcoming fixtures -

EngFix.jpg

roverman repped this.
  2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hungary and Poland away from home right after a tournament is a pretty brutal fixture set up.

Three matches in September.
    Two in October.
    Two in November.

TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  3. Andre99

Andre99 Member

Liverpool
    England
    Jul 12, 2021
    Yeah. WC qualifiers in Europe is brutal. Only 13 teams qualify. Even though Europe has dominted the WC since 2006. Compare that to 24 teams in the Euros. Still England should make it, just need draws againts Hungary and Poland away. And win all home matches, and all mathes against the lesser nations.

roverman and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Stretch Armstrong repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  6. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    well the PL will be playing so the players will be sharp at least

7. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Is it top 2 or first then second place in play offs

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    If we can pick up 4 points from the Poland Hungary games we should be there

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    First qualifies and second goes to the play-offs.

roverman repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully Gareth learns from his debacle against Italy and plays a more aggressive 4-3-3. We don't need Rice plus Henderson/Phillips at the same while Mount/Bellingham and Foden should be in midfield. Also really hope Winks and Skipp can kick on and get into squad contention.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  11. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has Hudson oddoi switched nations or is that bs?

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    A reliable journalist with links to his camp has denied it. He has flirted with the idea this summer in interviews. Realistically you'd imagine he'll hold on for England for another season but if he doesn't get in the squad then he'll opt for Ghana if they're offering a place in their World Cup squad.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think ultimately he will end up switching to Ghana unless he has a real upturn in form and first team opportunities as not really sure how he is going to get in ahead of young and talented options in his position already. At least he has another U21 cycle to go at but whether that’s enough to keep him entertained with England I’m not so sure if Ghana offer him a World Cup spot.

AJ123 repped this.
  14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    My guess is there's been some sounding out from Ghana, and a journalist has cottoned on and jumped to a conclusion.
    As said above, I unfortunately don't see him becoming a regular for England unless he really steps up, so he's likely hedging his bets at the moment.

15. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Hudson Odoi certainly has the ability to be a regular for England and Chelsea IMO, has had injuries that hasn’t helped him, for me he is equally as talented as Foden and Sancho.if he isn’t in Tuchels plans than he needs to get out on loan or ask to be transferred.

roverman repped this.
  16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Grealish really needs to get this move to City over the line. It feels like a make or break moment for his career.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Also it looks like Villa have been preparing his departure, with signing Buendia and also want another creative midfielder in Smith-Rowe.

AJ123 repped this.
  18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    In terms of second half management vs Italy;

1) Switch to 4-3-3.

2) Grealish -> Mount and Sancho -> Trippier

Are we in agreement on this? If not would like to hear your suggestions. Also wonder which managers would have made these changes?

Stretch Armstrong, Toosaul and AJ123 repped this.
  19. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    #19 AJ123, Jul 16, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Even though I've pretty much almost always backed Southgate I don't want us ever to contain for penalties in that situation again. I'd much rather see us throw everything at it for the last 20 minutes and lose by two goals than have to go through what we did on Sunday. It's much fairer on the players because penalties can be really awful.

RobTheFool and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Agreed, although Grealish and Sancho for Mount and Trippier wasn’t me suggesting that we should have thrown everything at it. Just that it would help us defensively too by getting us up the pitch and ask questions of their defence.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Certainly I think a system change should have happened around the hour mark, once it became clear that we weren't able to regain the initiative. Whether that was 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 (either one requiring a wide forward on for Trippier or Walker), I would have left Mount on for at least another 10 minutes to reassess.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Sounds about right to me. You’d like to think that most managers would have done something similar but maybe that’s wishful thinking.

23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Who do you see breaking into Southgate's plans before the next world cup? Smith-rowe? Greenwood?

24. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I don't think that is wishful thinking. I honestly think most managers would have made the changes suggested not long into the second half. Towards the end of the first half they had already gained control. So for them to just pick up where they left off wasn't a great sign. We just wasn't competing and couldn't counter effectively.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  25. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    I agree with that. I didn't fancy penalties at all. Nothing at all to do with our history. We had a young squad. The Italian penalty takers had taken 117 penalties for club and country between them. We had 67 and 50 of those belong to Kane. Two of ours had never taken a pen before. 3 of their players had more than 30 pens. Plus they had a giant in the net. Playing for pens was daft.