England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I don’t see how it’s a risk to have him in the 26 men squad as he brings something completely different to the other right backs and could be an option if we’re chasing a result. He also had a few good games for England and is a fantastic free kick taker.

roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I just think not taking him isn't such a huge deal. We know Kyle Walker is going to be first choice. James is better defensively than trent. Trippier has always produced for England. Bigger concerns should be who he takes attacking wise. I would feel more aggrieved if sancho was left out than trent

Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  3. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Does he? He hasn't even picked the squad yet.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This is getting confusing as talking about right backs on both England threads, lol.

Anyway, I agree with Rover, I’m less concerned about who Southgate picks at right back compared to other positions. I mean from this seasons form he could pick Walker ( Premier League Champion & Champions league finalist ), James ( Champion League finalist ), Trippier ( likely La Liga Champions) or TAA ( ok not this season but previously Premier League Champion & Champions league winner ). I might prefer TAA to be in the Squad but it’s not something I’m that worried about.

roverman and ChristianSur repped this.
  5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Does that really make sense though? Guys, we desperately need a goal so I'm going to swap out our attacking right-back for a slightly more attacking right-back? Surely you'd just bring on an attacker.

roverman repped this.
  6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Tuchel used Chilwell as an impact sub in the FA Cup final. It would have paid off if not for a marginal offside call.
    With how attacking modern full backs are, especially if you're playing 3atb, it's just the new version of throwing on a fresh winger to run at tired defenders.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    If it's just a matter of getting fresh legs on then you can bring on any of our other very good attacking right-backs.

If you think he might start games or needs to be kept involved for the future, I get the call-up, but for me the sub thing is not a very compelling argument either way.

8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    We’ll see. This journalist is usually well informed

9. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    It’s not necessarily to bring him on, he would be a different option to start a game against certain oppositions.

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
  11. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Trippier is also an excellent crosser of the ball and is better defensively

TAA is fine in a game in which we are likely to be on the front foot, but if we top the group, I just don't see our second round game going that way and I'd want the RB to be solid if called upon. I personally think we're likely to revert to back 3 for that game and could even see a return to 5-3-2 from 2018 and I'd be ok with TAA as a wingback in that as that fully plays to his strengths.

roverman repped this.
  12. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is a fair point. When should we move everything to the tournament thread? When squad is announced?

13. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    All this should be in the euro thread now

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Just to reiterate:

Best to take this conversation over there if you don't want to to get cut off in full flow.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.