England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TRS-T

TRS-T Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    This may be true but I am opposed to national teams having foreign managers.

I feel it's cheating.

2. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    The 11 wasn’t great anyway. Lampard / Gerrard / Beckham might look good on papier but in reality they absolutely couldn’t string 2 short passes together against good opposition

RobTheFool repped this.
  3. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010

Very dumb If true

roverman repped this.
  4. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Reminds me of something I read the other day from a former player.

sharpovic and roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I completely agree. That 2004 2006 team was vastly overrated. Yes there were some great players in that team but no genuine world class match winners in midfield. Lampard and Gerrard weren't elite players. Neither had a high technical level. Ferdinand and Terry were world class as was Ashley Cole Rooney Owen were top quality as was a Scholes but technical level point of view it wasn't top quality. It would have been better to have had carrick in there than Gerrard Lampard

6. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Footy Accumulators have mind readers on there staff?

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The only way to accommodate what we had was a diamond

......Owen....Rooney

...........Lampard

....gerrard.........beckham

................scholes

Cole...Rio......Campbell...Neville

8. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #17908 Gaz811, May 17, 2021
    Last edited: May 17, 2021
    You could maybe play a 433 with Gerrard as a right sided attacker. Also if it was after Scholes had retired play carrick or hargreaves as your DM. Anyway its all ifs and buts now.

thebigman repped this.
  9. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Cheating....really?
    Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard all received numerous votes in Ballon D'Or nomiations and have received acolades from many players and managers from outside England. This suggests to me that they were rightly highly thought of and the suggestion that they weren't elite seems completely wrong to me.

The 2004-2006 team probably suffered from lack of balance more than anything, which is why i'm quite sympathetic to Southgate not having TAA as first choice as in my opinion, he isn't completely the right player for the style we are likely to play.

10. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    and this is why England fail, managers and especially fans want all the stars with no thought to how it would actually work, you have Paul Scholes as a DM ffs.

Sven didn't have the balls to make the touch decision needed, ONE of Gerrard and Lampard.

If he had we would have had a more balanced and effective midfield

11. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Exactly. Make a decision. Or do a Ron Greenwood and alternate them.
    If you've got 4 world class strikers, you don't try to play them all.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he’s not a dm he’s a deep lying playmaker

just because you sit deep doesn’t mean you are dunga

please learn about positions and how a diamond works

13. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Scholes didn't start playing in a deeper role until at least a couple of years after quitting England. He was an attacking midfielder when Sven was in charge.

14. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    look at the other players in that midfield, the deep man would HAVE to be a DM otherwise NONE of them would do any defending, that set up simply wouldn't work on any level the only way the man at the base can be a playmaker is if the 2 wider players are box to box, Gerrard and Beckham weren't. Also a diamond can be played in many different ways, same as every other formation so drop the patronising attitude.

You pick the best TEAM not the 11 biggest stars until the England manager and fans learn this we will never be serious contenders

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Carrick was ideal for the deep lying role

16. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    not in a midfield with Lampard, Gerrard and Beckham, you needed a Hargreaves, if you had more of a Jordan Henderson type playing then yes

17. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gerrard would play box to box and beckham would sit deep

carrick was a more than capable single pivot as well

either way, it’s better than what we did a flat 442 with scholes on the left in 02

roverman repped this.
  18. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Beckham would never sit deep, the whole point of playing him was to be in a position to cross the ball otherwise he didn't offer much

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Kane is putting in a transfer request. As England fans where would should he go? Maybe psg? Or real Madrid. I don't think they will sell to another English club

20. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I'd like to see him sign for Everton.;) Anyway PSG are the only European club that could afford him. Maybe Bayern Munich with some sort of swap deal with Lewandowski. I think he'll end up at Man City. It could all depend on what sort of euros he has.

21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Psg would make perfect sense. Mp knows kane better than anyone. He would be a replacement for mbappe. He could score 50 goals in the French league. He wouldn’t have to be at his best. I think there's a chance he will bottle it and decide to stay

22. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    If Mbappe stayed Kane would be laying up goals for him left right and centre.

roverman repped this.
  23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Southgate doesn’t want TAA at all, I have 0 sympathy for that.

roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Exactly. What style are we talking? The best crosser of the ball in the world to one of the best strikers in the world. What style could be better

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I disagree. It's arguably our strongest position and the kid can't defend. He hasn't proved himself for England and there's no time left for him to do it. With another tournament next year I don't see the point in taking a risk on someone who's looked more like a risk for us than a match-winner.

Fullerov repped this.