England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes certainly going to be a starter. Even southgate can't balls that one up.

2. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Hardly surprising given Fernandinho gas been fouling / kicking everyone since the second minute ... as usual his fouls go unpunished ??

How his red card count doesn’t equal Madrid’s Ramos is beyond me ..

Virtually every game you’ll hear one of pundits querying how he avoids getting booked or sent off

I don’t want City to win the CL just because I’m sick of his constant cheating

3. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    I don’t think he is ... he’s just trying to carry his team through against all the odds

4. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    So he's playing out of his skin wide but you want to move him to a position he literally never plays?

Jenks and lanman repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just as a side issue, I’m willing to bet the City players will be out of the Austria friendly matche early June and if Chelsea make it too then that will be quite a few missing potentially. Should all be back for the Romania friendly though I would imagine.

6. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Remember when people were saying Foden wouldn't play enough for City and should go out on loan?

roverman repped this.
  7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden plays that’s for sure now.

I think the certainties in the XI are:

Pickford
    Stones
    Maguire
    Rice
    Mount
    Kane
    Foden

Sterling has always been good and has been knocked out of the city XI atm due to Foden and Mahrez’s form. As much as I’d love to see Grealish and Foden in the same team I do think we need a speedy tricky winger eg Sterling/Sancho/Rashford on one side.. it’s tough but Grealish has been out for a few months so he’ll have to play his way back in and it’s still a fantastic bench

roverman repped this.
  8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would have walker as a certainty now too. Hes been unplayable in the two ties v psg

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Because hes capable of dictating a game. When he plays that position for England he sometimes dissappears . I think long term hes going to be the best attacking midfielder in the world

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We have unreal strength in depth now. Never in my lifetime have we had so many options. Even leftback is looking strong with chilwell and Shaw. Like I said Earlier a potential European winner across the back 4

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    My back four would be Walker, Stones, Maguire and Shaw just because a) All in good form b) both fullbacks are familiar with the centre backs inside them and vice versus, so familiarity would be important on both sides in tournament football.

W.A.S.P., RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  12. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    When a player is in the form Foden is in you play them in that position he has never shown he can run a game as the 10, he may do so in future but there is no evidence of this so to through him into that role in a major tournament is setting him up to fail

roverman repped this.
  13. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think Foden is being overhyped because people are still thinking of him as a midfielder when he's clearly playing in a front three. He's a forward right now, with good numbers, but nothing extraordinary. I bet if you put Sancho in that team he'd be close to 20 goals and 20 assists every season.

ChristianSur repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Foden is extraordinary because of his ability on the ball. I dont think sancho is at his level

15. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    The only reason hes being played as a forward is because Pep has KDB. England don't have KDB. I would at least try him in a 3 man midfield in one of the up coming Friendlies. That way we could play Grealish (if fit), Sancho and Foden in the same team.

16. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Yes, agreed

17. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    There was an explayer on TalkSport this morning who was adamant that Foden was now a forward rather than a midfielder

18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    On what planet is Foden better on the ball than Sancho.

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I never said better on the ball.

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    What i meant was he has a better football brain.

21. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    As regards the comparison with Foden and Sancho

They’re completely different players with their own pluses / negative..

I’m not really sure who is or who will be the best ..

roverman repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm just happy they're both English

23. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    I’d love to see a team featuring Grealish, Maddison , Mount , Sancho , Foden and Bellingham ...

Maybe in a game with no consequence :)

roverman repped this.
  24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would put us as third favourites behind France and Portugal. I really don't think Belgium have enough quality anymore. Lukaku and de bruyne are their only standout players. Hazard is finished as a top player. Cortouis is a good keeper. Tielemans is a talented player. But apart from those main 2, they don't have the quality they had 2 years ago. Germany Spain and Italy could be a threat.

25. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Belgium recently beat us..

Let's stop this overhyping of our team. Yes we have incredible options but until we finally best a top team at a tournament we're not amongst the favourites. Our potential route would see us have to beat four top teams yet alone one