England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I can see the logic of Phillips in the squad for that specific squad role. Don’t think he should be guaranteed a place yet. I would be taking Bellingham regardless though.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks, roverman and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Lets be far it would have been more of a shock if he hadn't been a hit at Dortmund. :)

ChristianSur repped this.
  4. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah you could swap Phillips for rice and rashford could come in for another player potentially

it’s all going to depend on fitness I guess and form imo should matter

roverman repped this.
  5. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Kane’s rolled his ankle.

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think it will be serious

7. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #16857 Slater582, Apr 16, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    A stat which caught my attention is that pretty much every team that's won the European Championship or World Cup this century was in the top 5 countries for Champions League players & minutes the preceding season.

Show Spoiler
    The top five nations for Champions League minutes in the season before a European/World Championship in the 21st century, with the winning team in bold. Plus where England ranked.

1999/2000: 1. France 2. Netherlands 3. Germany 4. Spain 5. Norway 11. England

2001/2002: 1. France 2. Spain 3. Brazil 4. Germany 5. England

2003/2004: 1. France 2. Spain 3. Italy 4. Brazil 5. Portugal 6. Greece 8. England

2005/2006: 1. Brazil 2. Spain 3. France 4. Italy 5. Netherlands 11. England

2007/2008: 1. Brazil 2. France 3. Spain 4. Italy 5. Portugal 6. England

2009/2010: 1. France 2. Brazil 3. Spain 4. Italy 5. Argentina 9. England

2011/2012: 1. Brazil 2. Spain 3. Germany 4. France 5. Argentina 10. England

2013/2014: 1. Spain 2. Brazil 3. Germany 4. France 5. Italy 6. England

2015/2016: 1. Spain 2. Brazil 3. France 4. Germany 5. Portugal 13. England

2017/2018: 1. Brazil 2. Spain 3. France 4. Germany 5. Argentina 8. England

Officially Greece was sixth for minutes the season before they were Euro Champions, although ignoring the ineligible Brazil they were still top five among European nations. 45 Greek players competed in the Champions League that season, behind only France (53), Italy (51) and Spain (50).

In terms of where the winning team ranked regarding number of players; France (3), Brazil (3), Greece (4), Italy (4), Spain (3), Spain (4), Spain (1), Germany (2), Portugal (5), France (3). Of course logically there should be a correlation between how many players you have in the CL and their subsequent minutes.

This season with only the semi(s) and final left in the competition England are one of six countries to have recorded over 10k minutes.

1) France 24, 126
    2) Brazil 21, 031
    3) Spain 17, 846
    4) Germany 17, 245
    5) England 11, 885
    6) Portugal 10, 112

They had the sixth most in 2006-07, 2007-08, 2013-14 and 2018-19 but haven't made the top five since the 2001-2002 campaign. As a comparison last season in what normally would've ended in an International tournament they were 8th highest with 9,579 minutes.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If Kane isn't 100% fit for the start of the Euros he should stay at home.

Why not?

9. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Just being upbeat. I've had 2 years of setbacks. Father being seriously ill. Mother getting cancer then my father got cancer. Now he has a bloodclot. Just trying to be positive

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Also I think kane is far too important to leave at home. I think he will be available for the cup final

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I think I might give the euros a miss. Just always so many ********ing injuries. Every tournament. Lots of selfish managers overplaying players. That's now grealish sancho Henderson kane rashford doubtful. Just sick of it. Why can't cnuts like France Spain Germany Belgium Portugal pick up a host of injuries. Why is it always England. I think also the epl are a very selfish organisation. They put the league way ahead of the national team. Seria a la liga Bundesliga help out their national teams. Its about time English football put England first for once

TopBanana10 repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Assuming kane is ruled out and I don't think he will be we should take Greenwood. Hes our most natural finisher. Ings is also decent. Vardy could come our of retirement. We really don't have a player close to kanes level in that aspect. The other players are replacable to a certain degree. Maddison for Grealish. Saka for rashford. Bellingham for Henderson. I would take kane even if he's only 70 percent fit

13. Port Vale Fan

Port Vale Fan Member

May 30, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Rover, I'd quite like us to play with a "false nine" if Kane isn't fit. Stick Foden there and watch him go.

roverman repped this.
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Real shame that his Euros chances have pretty much been killed by this. A bit similar to Tomori being set back by selection preferences.

15. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    He’s getting far too many ankle injuries... can’t see him playing well into his 30’s the way he’s going

16. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Ings gets more injuries than Kane .. I’d never have them both in the same squad

roverman repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He really needs to leave as soon as the transfer window opens up as it’s clear as daylight he hasn’t a future under Tuchel! Real shame because if Kane can’t make the Euro’s, there would be a battle for that striker option which he could have competed for but he won’t whilst he’s being left out for Chelsea.

18. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    he's just not that good, there is a reason he gained the nickname Tap in Tammy

roverman repped this.
  19. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    He can't be any worse then werner this season surely?

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    How do VAR not look at Fernandinho stepping in Mount’s face?!

Mount and Foden have proved this season that unless you play act and dive - referees and VAR aren’t interested.

Port Vale Fan and roverman repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be fair, many good strikers have been tap in merchants and I don’t think that’s a bad thing for a striker, just means they read the game well and know how to be in the right place at the right time, it’s underrated imo. I do however think he needs to work on his all round game, to many times the ball bounces off him when holding the ball up.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  22. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    he was given that nickname in the championship, a player good enough for Chelsea should be much more than a tap in merchant in the championship

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    But yet Villa fans would have him back in a heartbeat however like I said and I’m not disagreeing with your general point as he still needs to work on his all round game.

24. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Reece james has been solid again. I would start him at the euros.

25. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    96% of Sterling’s goals are tap-ins , I reckon

Port Vale Fan repped this.