England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    If he misses the euros I give up. Already had to deal with Wilshere missing the euros in 2012 after being absolutely unplayable in 10/11. Grealish was playing at an extremely high level I'm convinced he would have taken Europe by storm this summer. Fingers crossed he can make it but I'm not very optimistic.

RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Let's not panic. Im sure he will be back for the euros. Plenty of time

3. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would probably operate under the assumption that he's not going to be fit for the Euros. He's not so important that he should be taken when half fit.

AJ123 and roverman repped this.
  4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I would risk him if he's fit for the knock out stages. It's not like when Rooney was pivotal for the 2006 world cup. We have other options. Foden could play in his place and is just as good.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You would think that Southgate would now be planning for a scenario that involves the possibility of Rashford not being available for the Euros.

Been playing with issues for so long now. He’s either going to break down and be ruled out or come into the tournament selection process really battered up. I can’t really see another scenario?

6. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Its just shit luck that we pick up these injuries

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  7. scholesyyy

scholesyyy Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Before month or so there were people discussing whether should we take Sancho, but by this rate of injuries soon we will be crying for Antonio lol. Always same thing happens with injuries. But i think we should resist taking half fit or injured players since even the smallest drop in fitness is so noticeable at highest level.

BarryfromEastenders and roverman repped this.
  8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    To be honest, I agree with you - it might just be a once-bitten thing, but it has the feel of one of those injuries that'll just drag on. Very disappointing if he doesn't make it to the Euros, but we'll just have to hope that someone else steps up. It could be the opportunity that Sancho needs to make the kind of impact with England that he's made with Dortmund, for instance.

roverman repped this.
  9. scholesyyy

scholesyyy Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We have some gifted attacking players but I don' think any of them are on Grealish level. He is just so good on the ball and someone you can always pass it if in doubt. Style wise Foden is the closest but he is (still) not that good and doesn't have same level of composure. Huge blow imo

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think it is a type of player issue, rather than quality of player. Sancho has every bit as much talent and so does Foden - and they and others put up better numbers than Grealish - but Grealish seemed to raise the level of the whole team. He's just a really good fit.

roverman repped this.
  11. Toosaul

Toosaul Member

Aug 28, 2011
    It amazes me how players just allow themselves to be ran into the ground in a tournament year. If his body isn't right, or he is tired he should tell the manager. Bale got a load of stick for saying he just wanted to be match fit for the Euros but I think he had the right idea. If he doesn't feel right he doesn't play and Wales are all the better for it.

BarryfromEastenders and roverman repped this.
  12. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    If rashford and grealish don't make it then I would be tempted to take maddison and probably saka

13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Hes not just as good that’s the problem. Not right now at least

14. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Spot on

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Maddison or saka

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #16766 Marcho Gamgee, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    I think one of the good problems we have now though is our depth in the attacking options. Ten years ago if we lost someone of Grealish’s quality we would be doomed because the back up options were simply not up to scratch, even the first team options were not as good and it would be game over. Now days, if we lose Grealish (and I’d be gutted fwiw ) but the back ups are still extremely good options even if they are not Grealish. I really wouldn’t be going into games thinking we can’t score or lack creativity if we have say a front three of Foden, Kane and Sterling for example and I would be happy with that. Obviously the issue is the injury list but you have to hope with the probability that some of them will be fit to be picked but guess we just have to wait and see.

roverman repped this.
  17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    U can't say foden is not that good. Grealish has only been playing at this level,this season. Foden has been unplayable for man City at a higher level for the last two seasons. I would say foden has more talent than grealish. Grealish has a brilliant way of slowing games down producing a bit of magic. Im doubtful grealish would have started ahead of rashford sterling and kane anyway

18. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    What are you smoking ??

Grealish has played at this level for about 7 years whilst this is Foden’s breakthrough season

19. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Time will tell .. Grealish is being linked to City for the summer .

He’s apparently top of Pep’s wish list and Grealish has supposedly told his friends that he’s up for a move to City and working with Pep

20. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm talking about the very top. Epl champions league etc

21. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see it happening. City generally don't pay over the odds and Villa have always tried to attach an extortionate price tag to him.

22. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Didn't City pay over £200 for four full backs a few years ago and more recently paid 70 million plus add one for Diaz

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    They paid £51m + Otamendi to reinforce a position they desperately needed to. Same kind of story with the fullbacks. It's a far cry from spending £80m+ for a 25 year old attacker who has never scored more than 10 goals in a season, especially given what else is on the market.

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    At the moment Grealish is clearly better than Foden. Way more influential, he tops several stats in Europe in terms of dribbling success, chance creation, ball carry into the box. Foden has good G/A numbers but doesn’t have the same ability to control games, just yet at least. And he would be much better with good players around him, as seen vs Belgium.

roverman repped this.
  25. PoliteSquats

PoliteSquats Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    It's a bit of cliche for sure but Grealish just has that ability to drag a team's quality up. I look back at recent England failures like crashing out to Iceland in the euros, or losing to Croatia in the world cup, and I see England teams that were crying out for someone like Grealish.

Foden has a lot of talent but I can easily picture him floundering like the rest against an 11 men behind the ball side in a quarter final. I can't picture the same with Grealish really.

roverman repped this.