England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    #15426 TopBanana10, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Whilst I would like to see 4-3-3, Southgate’s thinking might be that he wants to bed in the 3-4-3 in which case I’d like to see Mount or Maddison in the midfield 2 against San Marino and perhaps Saka and TAA as the wing backs.

Really no need for a double pivot a la Rice and Phillips.

roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    We could have a cricket score against san marino if he goes attacking wise

3. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Yeah. Like the one in the last test against India.....

W.A.S.P., Gaz811, Marcho Gamgee and 2 others repped this.
  4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Big chance that England will be the sole host of the Euros , but will any fans be allowed in?

roverman repped this.
  5. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Saw them all live in their prime, and also Gazza at Rangers numerous times. He was a different beast. There's no doubt that Gerrard and Scholes had better careers and were great players for much longer, but in terms of natural talent on the ball it's no contest.

roverman repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Maybe I missed it but didn’t hear anything about the formation sadly but I did take a positive when he mentioned that we basically stunk the place out during some of the Autumn Internationals so hopefully he might try and address the problem areas like Central midfield combinations.

7. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    if everything goes to plan yes

Gaz811 repped this.
  8. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    #15433 Gaz811, Mar 2, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    The only England players i've seen to come close to Gazza for natural ability were John Barnes, Wayne Rooney and Matt Le Tissier. I'd say Barnes was probably equal ability wise but wasn't as good when playing for England as Gazza.

P.S that goal Barnes scored againest Brazil is still the best by an English player I've seen.

sharpovic repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    roverman repped this.
  10. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    That’s when Brazil couldn’t defend though :)

Times they have a changed .. for example look how many Brazilian defensive midfielders there are nowadays and arguably the best two goalies are Brazilian

11. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Foden on the bench again for City. I thought he finally got himself into the starting eleven reckoning. Anyone else concerned by this?

12. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Agree wholeheartedly on this. I'd say Rooney and Le Tissier were probably a notch below (this is not a slight on them) but Barnes certainly was on a par.
    Barnes always appeared more elegent and refined, whereas Gazza was more raw and spontaneous. Very different, but equally talented.
    Of the current crop, I think Foden is probably the closest. He moves quite like Gazza, especially the way he can just glide but accellrate past people. He obviously doesn't have Gazza's physical presence, which was a massive advantage for him especially in his early days when he was fit and extremely mobile.

We've never really scored that many goals by an individual weaving through a defence. Waddle vs Turkey is one, but Turkey back then were cannon fodder and it wasn't close to Barnes' level.
    Plenty of great direct dribbling (Owen vs Argentina, Gazza vs Scotland) or long range efforts (Charlton vs Mexico, Sweden, Cole vs Sweden, Scholes vs Mexico, Shearer vs Portugal) that stick in the mind though. Difficult really to put any ahead of Barnes' though.

roverman and Gaz811 repped this.
  13. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    No. The games are coming thick and fast. He'll be involved in plenty more this season.

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  14. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Yes but still a great goal.

15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Suppose he'll be fresh for England unlike most of our other players.

16. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Gazza was well past his best at Rangers as well , such a shame about his knee injury

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, that reckless tackle on Gary Charles I think it was cost him big time.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'll make myself unpopular if I say that I think Barnes was overrated, won't I? I've tried watching his highlights in recent years but he just looks slow and ungainly by modern standards. Gazza and Waddle, by contrast, still hold up well.

roverman repped this.
  19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Its mad. He keeps rotating players too much. Same with stones. How can players form understanding with their teammates or maintain form if they are in and out the starting lineup

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'll remind you of this next time you want 900 uncapped centre-backs called up to the England squad.

TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  21. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018

:thumbsup:

22. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He wasn't the player he was before his knee injury, but he still had something when I first saw him up there. He was still in pretty decent shape for the first two seasons, but once he started on the binges with Chris Evans in 97 that was really the end of him. His last season was poor, and he was pretty much running on fumes from then.

23. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Gazza, Hoddle and Waddle all stand out in my memory .

ChristianSur repped this.
  24. OllyAlex

OllyAlex Member

Mar 2, 2021
    Danny Mills ( ex City player) was on the radio last night sharing your concerns.
    He said that he’s only started 22 times in 4 seasons and it’s simply not enough... he wants him to be starting 90% of games like KDB does

25. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Not remotely. I don't think it's been an issue all season, frankly. Pep will either play him midweek and then rest him on the weekend or viceversa. Borussia Mönchengladbach in the Champions League is a bigger game than Wolves in the Premier League.

RobTheFool repped this.