England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I don't think dropping trippier for James is weakening the squad

2. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    its not Trippier who should miss out its Walker, btw neither Chelsea full back being talked about is currently starting for them, Alonso and Hudson-Odoi have been playing wing back

3. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    James has started some games, but it does appear that Tuchel doesn't fancy Chilwell. If he's not playing then that's a problem for him.

Walker's on the wane at City as well. Cancelo looks like he's now first choice.

4. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    White would be a good replacement for Walker at RCB if needed.

5. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    Leave Walker out and go with a back four. I can't help but feel part of the reason for the formation is to get Walker involved without playing right back.

W.A.S.P., RobTheFool and roverman repped this.
  6. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Considering Southgate dropped walker from the three squads following the Nations League final entirely, I highly doubt he's fussed about trying to fit him in the starting eleven.

Walker gets picked because his recovery pace allows him to cover for the others. As a three I though him, Stones and Maguire complemented each other quiet nicely.

The real issue with this system is the midfield getting overran and lacking players with the ability to keep possession when talented teams press them high. Hopefully the likes of Grealish and Foden will go someway to remedying this - also why I would suggest Saka may be our best option at wing back.

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  7. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    I have a feeling Shaw has made himself unavailable for England. It just isn't public yet.

8. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't believe that for a second. Southgate wouldn't have been talking about the possibility of calling him up if there wasn't one.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This, Southgate keeps mentioning his 'speed'. Don't get me wrong I think Walker has been a great player but he is not a CB, he got done at the world cup and he is very prone to making a costly mistake, he can't be playing RCB purely due to his speed. Him not getting game time may actually push him out of the team and be s good thing as I think Southgate wants a speedy CB in part of his back 3. The more the season goes on the less favourable this rigid formation is working for the players on form.

Stones is looking excellent, Maguire is back on form. I'm not sure who the third CB would be right now..

roverman repped this.
  10. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Ben White... decent pace, good on the ball and times challenges well.

11. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Konsa is a good speedy defender

12. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Realistically I don't think there will be any new faces in defence now. I'm not sure who starts, because Southgate has gone on and on in the past about players having to be getting minutes and also be playing the correct position (the reason he didn't pick Grealish for so long) so will he now use that same criteria on walker and Henderson? Somehow I doubt it..

I'm genuinely curious how he will line up if he sticks with the 3-4-3 (I prefer to call it 5-2-3 the way he lines up). Foden and grealish are almost first names on the team sheet right now you feel, but then that leaves no room for rashford, Sancho, sterling, greenwood..

13. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't know that Foden is yet, for all that he's been brilliant in the league. If we were playing a tournament game tomorrow, I'd guess at a front line of Grealish-Kane-Sterling.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    As for centre-backs, I'm just waiting for Guéhi to come through at this point. If he can step up to the level of the Premier League, he is going to be a lot of fun...

15. lanman

Aug 30, 2002
    He'll start with Rashford/Kane/Sterling. Of that I have little doubt.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I think that we should be aiming to finish second in the group. We can’t go out hoping to lose or draw but we can make full use of the squad by rotating. Added benefit is that it helps to keep the players fresh after a long season.

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Me too. Rather face Spain than Germany Portugal or France

TopBanana10 repped this.
  18. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Possibly Sweden or Portugal if I’m not mistaken.

19. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I'm not afraid of Portugal. I think we can easily go toe to toe with them but Spain or Sweden would be alot less messy

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    My bad... I meant Sweden or Poland would be our likely opponents if we finished second. Spain is a possibility though.

roverman repped this.
  21. Fullerov

Fullerov Member

Bristol Rovers
    Nov 30, 2004
    Club:
    Bristol Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see that at all. He's been playing well for the team on top in La Liga. Add in his assists and free-kicks, plus his tournament experience. Definitely gives him the edge for me.

Manchester21 repped this.
  22. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    I agree. Trippers been brilliant for the best team in Spain at the minute. Can defend and has one of the best deliveries. Why would you leave him out.

James is inconsistent for me.

23. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    Reece James is flavour of the month where as Trippier is out of sight out of mind

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Trippier plays as a deep fullback in a side not known for their attacking flair

25. Jimmy Skitz

Jimmy Skitz Member+

Leicester City
    England
    Nov 4, 2020
    perfect for Southgate then