England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    1) Both are brilliant players who have deserved to play over Gray for the entirety of Southgate's reign.

2) In them 2 years in charge, Southgate has already dropped both Alli + Sterling.

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For the sake of Tottenham they need to sign some players to build up their depth. I love the core they've had since 15/16 (Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Son, Dier, Trippier, Rose) but if one or two players go down then they look a completely different team.

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Being at a World Cup is different than qualifying. You can be more flexable with selection obviously.

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Need to or not, they can't until January. Could be good news for anyone who's trying to break through.

5. Rabbi Keane

Rabbi Keane Member

Aug 13, 2003
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jamaal Lascelles another serious candidate for a call up

6. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I can't see Hughes making an England squad anytime soon the way he is being deployed at Watford. The manager continually plays him on the wing which is a complete waste of his talents .

Hughes should be played in central midfield where his first touch passing , close control , vision and awareness can allow him to become one of the best midfielders in the premier league .

I mean i look at all the teams in the premier league and I think he could walk in to anyone of them not named Man City.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dele scores the decider for Tottenham against Newcastle with a goal very similar to his against Sweden. Back post header. Although I have been critical of him, he does usually make forward runs into the box.

8. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Gray could be a big
    We don't know yet. But Southgate must definitely call up one or two midfielders from the ones who were not in Russia. Barkley started today and they won, tomorrow Lallana and Wilshere both could play. Hughes is not in a good position in the moment but that could change quickly, as for Maddison.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Gray flatters to deceive.

Maybe this season is the one when it all clicks for him.

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe Grealish is a bit too attached to Villa. He's their star player, been there all this career and supported them as a young lad. Fair play to him because that's something everyone dreams about, however hopefully he realizes what's best for himself. He's outgrown Villa. I'm kinda betting he'll make a move in January transfer window if enough things go right for him in the first half of the season.

11. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barkley I can't see getting many games at Chelsea . Kovavic will be ahaead of him . Lallana isn't good enough. Wilshere is too injury prone. Maddison has potential . Grealish is special but he is nearly 23 and still a championship player . It looks like Harry Winks looks like England's best bet at the moment.

12. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He wanted to leave by all accounts but Spurs didn't bring enough money to the table for Villa to let him go.

13. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    What are you on about ?

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    There you go Southgate, maybe you should change your system and play Sterling in a position that he’s used to instead of shoehorning him into a playmaker role he’s not used to and don’t get the best out of him.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks repped this.
  16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Not sure if that's brave or foolish.

17. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would just call-up Pickford, Butland and Gunn, which I expect him to do.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It’s not really different than the end of last season. Butland was having a poor season then. I think I would drop Butland at this point. Not because of the league he’s in but because he’s been in really poor form for ages imo.

Pickford, Hart/other Burnley option, Hamer, McCarthy/Gunn.
    Then the Championship options -
    Henderson, Butland, Johnstone etc.

Don’t think it’s too awful at this point.

The Potter repped this.
  21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I hate the term but Butland is overated. I wouldn't have been too sad if he left Stoke for the right price. Hopefully he will improve he's still young for a goalkeeper.

22. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He’s gone backwards a bit over the last couple of seasons. That injury in the Italy friendly seemed to be a negative turning point.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Hamer? I hope you are just naming English keepers.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'd just keep Butland in and keep Gunn in the U21s.

25. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know what the turning point was. A lot of the Stoke players like Charlie Adam, Ryan Shawcross are no longer Prem level players but hopefully Butland can sort himself out. It sort of appears a lot of Stoke players *cough* Pieters, are having a sulk that they are in the second tier but it's entirely their fault and if the they don't get it together soon it may end up none of them are ever on MOTD again. It's so frustrating because they are such a strong squad for that level.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.