England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    We couldn’t get it off them !!

They were comfortably in charge until Jack changed the whole complexion of the game and forced them to change their plans

2. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    See I don’t see it that way .. Jack judges the situation perfectly virtually every time .. one minute he’ll be popping off short one two passes but if there’s space ahead he’ll drive forwards at pace very effectively.. on occasion he will hold onto the ball as he did on Thursday but that just coaxed the Welsh guys out of their half creating space behind ..

He’s a special player to my mind and has been for some time

Toosaul repped this.
  3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I don’t get the Grealish controversy. Southgate starts
    Looks pretty accurate, although I’d hope to see Gomez in place of Walker and Saka not Trippier.

4. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing about Mount was he gave Grealish someone to play with.

5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    A similar thing happened against Liverpool when Jack suddenly had a willing forward thinking runner in Barkley to pass to ..

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  7. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Southgate sticks with players who don’t do much.

Rice - has never performed - what actually are his strengths? Even worse when he is played with other midfielders who can’t play.

Surely with Henderson back and Winks and Foden in the future we do not need Rice starting as well. And don’t even get me started on playing Trippier at left back

W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  9. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well its only fair, after all the Scots are always 'cheering us on' in return :-D

W.A.S.P., dbs235, roverman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Are you Grealishs agent or are you madly in love with him or something!? Listening to you you would think he was the second coming! Yes he played well but he wasn't the only player in an England shirt that played well, and as for the 'hate' that Mount seems to get on here!? I just don't get it!? You would think his performance was awful when in fact he played rather well too! In fact there was a couple of VERY promising exchanges between the two where ultimatley they probably overplayed it in the end - who knows, in time they could form quite a partnership, but guys enough of this Grealish is god Mount is the devil nonsense now please!

roverman repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, they love to cheer us on wearing their Croatian shirts :ninja:

12. Gaz811

Gaz811 Member+

Everton FC
    England
    Oct 15, 2018
    Solid Team. But I'd be tempted to play Coady if we're playing a back three.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I hate being pessimistic and like a broken record but still my concerns with this team is the unbalanced left hand side which will just be awkward and also the form of Sancho who hasn’t been great of late. I would actually like to see Grealish given another run there to be honest but I guess we will see if Southgate proves me wrong and I hope he does but I’m just not convinced in this formation.

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I haven’t only praised Grealish . I’m just worried that he’s not going to get a fair crack of things because Southgate clearly has a problem with him ..

Oh and I haven’t said a word against Mason Mount ..

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Bluuuughhhh

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Sancho is clearly a super talented lad as his Dortmund stats show but I don’t recall him being very effective for England at all - certainly nowhere near as effective as Jack was the other evening

17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    De bruyne licking his lips at the prospect of a static unimaginative midfield

RobTheFool and Toosaul repped this.
  18. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If you read my post I didn't actually say that YOU did say anything against Mount? Southgate does not have a problem with Grealish, its in your head, he played well, Southgate said he played well, just because he didn't go all 'coy' and start claiming that Grealish is the next Lional Messi doesn't mean he has a problem with him, it just means he is more level headed than (some) people on here.

19. Crawleybus

Crawleybus Member+

Oct 18, 2013
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The Scots were wearing Maradona shirts in 86, four years earlier they were at war with the Argentinians who had invaded British territory and killed British (including Scottish) servicemen! If that doesn't sum up the Scots when it comes to English football nothing will! They would side with the Devils 11 if they were playing England. As a boy I would want the Scots to do well but this has been well and truly drummed out of me now! Now all I want is abject failure from them (something they've given me over quite a time now) :-D

roverman repped this.
  20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    My concern is what looks like a gaping hole between attack and midfield. Unless Kane spends the whole game dropping deep - which doesn't seem a great use of his talents to me - we'll pretty much have to go wide to progress the ball, which dramatically limits the routes to attack that Belgium will have to address at any given moment.

I'm hoping that there are nuances that I've missed, but I just don't really get that kind of midfield in a 3-4-3. Does any club that plays it successfully regularly go with two "solid" midfielders? Surely half the point of the extra centre-back is to free up your midfield and your full-backs a bit.

sharpovic, RobTheFool and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big fan of his and have watched a lot of games he’s played in for Dortmund since he’s been there but lately, whether it’s about all the transfer speculation effecting him I don’t know but he’s not playing with the same intensity as the past few seasons in my opinion. I hope he gets his mojo back on Sunday though if he is starting.

roverman repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Whilst I was writing the above post I was actually thinking similar but In this formation I think it would make more sense to play say Mount and Grealish (or Maddison when back in the squad ) instead of Sancho and Rashford as an inside forward role, roaming between midfield and Kane, whilst also linking the play to Kane and letting the wing backs attack more than they currently do as so far in the main I don’t think we have utilised them effectively so far. I’m just not quite sure what Southgate is trying to do with this formation if I’m honest, looks very confusing.

23. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    A midfield pair of Rice and Henderson is a disaster waiting to happen. It'll be episode #0434234 of Southgate having no clue what qualities his system demands of the midfield personnel.

24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Don't be ridiculous , he's been playing well enough to be picked for years ... It's only the media pressure and the disbelief of every TV pundit (apart from Souness) that Grealish wasn't being picked that forced Southgate into picking him ... Plus if Sancho , Sterling , Greenwood or Rashford had been fit I don't think we would have seen Jack get a game ..

25. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We only need to play with one DM against Belgium, I just hope Southgate does not play two because that will put us strait on the back foot. As for Grealish I am happy he took his chance but people need to calm down a bit, because it was only a friendly against a Wales side that did not have Ramsay or Bale in it, now if he does it in a real game when it matters against a legit team then it will be time to get exited but not yet.

26. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Guess you missed the Villa v Liverpool game last weekend ...