England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Seek help.

thebigman, TopBanana10 and roverman repped this.
  2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Ok

3. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Joking aside I do wonder if southgate reads these or any other forums

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I doubt it very much. He won't feel that he has anything worthwhile to learn from football forums.

roverman repped this.
  5. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Suppose so but I know some footballers read forums

6. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You obviously know more about Foden than some of us ... does he tackle ??

He’s obviously got good technique plus he’s fast and mobile but he seems to ‘dance’ around the physical side of things ... that won’t work as a central midfielder will it ?

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    he works very hard and has a massive engine, definitely can play 8

8. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    I think he is suited to the 8 in a 4-3-3 and has impressed in that position before.

IGSpur repped this.
  9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Does he like a tackle , can he take a heavy challenge??

He’ll have to if he wants to play centre midfield , surely ?

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Abraham was excellent for Chelsea. CHO quiet. Absolute horror show from Pickford against Barnsley. He needs replacing for England before he does us some damage.

roverman repped this.
  11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Talk of Angus Gunn on loan to Leeds. Apparently Bielsa has wanted him for a while. That would be a great move I think if they can make it happen. One of the few keepers we have who can actually play with their feet.

Gaz811 and TopBanana10 repped this.
  12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Gunn was one the very worst keepers in the league last year when it came to the basics, only Kepa let more goals than expected in than him. Worryingly Pickford was the third worst keeper by that metric. If it's an Ederson who is pretty average at most aspects of goalkeeping except with the ball at his feet (which he's brilliant at) then it can work but I think shot stopping is still the most important aspect of goalkeeping. Gunn needs to really improve massively in that regard to be in contention for England.

13. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Foden City’s key man tonight. Great pass for Delap’s goal and got the winner.

roverman repped this.
  14. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Jones with two goals

15. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    When you have foden Jones maddison grealish madueke coming through people can't say we arent producing technical 'midfielders'. Just hope these guys keep progressing because our options are going to be limitless

16. ht_hu96

ht_hu96 Member+

Middlesbrough
    England
    May 23, 2019
    Don't forget Bellingham as well

roverman repped this.
  17. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    #10842 MrSnrub, Sep 25, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2020
    England's problem is producing people who play actually in midfield though, we have plenty of attacking players but actual number 8s are much fewer and further between. Then deep lying midfielders even rarer. Most our defensive midfielders nowadays are converted centre backs.

I mean from your list, Madueke is largely up front or out wide, most Foden's minutes are out wide, Maddison is often out left or a number 10 for Leicester, Grealish much as people want it not to be true predominantly plays as a left winger for Villa....

Some of the underage groups do at least seem to be improving in midfield, but it remains to be seen if these are sustained into first team careers and if they're kept their by their clubs. Or if as happened with players like RLC, Barkley and Ox a good chunk of their formative years were spent being indulged as attacking players and they perhaps never became as rounded as they should have become.

ChristianSur, hussar and roverman repped this.
  18. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Curtis Jones could be that deep lying player. Hes great in possession. Can take the ball off defence and play it forwards

19. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Phillips and winks are the only 2 ready

such a shame Wilshere got injured all the time as he could’ve been great there

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, such a shame as he should be in his prime now at 28 and being that midfielder that we are lacking but sadly injuries have just killed his career

thebigman repped this.
  21. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Who

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wilshere

roverman repped this.
  23. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    I know this might sound silly but is it too early for curtis jones to get a call up. Hes shown time and time again he can handle first team football. 5 goals in 16 appearances shows he's up to it. He could be the midfielder we've been missing. Its not a case of another shiny toy its if ur good enough u are old enough.

24. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    He's 7 months younger than Foden with 16 games played for Liverpool (many as sub), and people were complaining that Foden hadn't played enough for City (despite having 70 games under his belt). Let's see him have a run of games first.

roverman repped this.
  25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Maybe, or maybe not, because he plays much more an attacking role for his club. I think we should wait for the likes of Doyle, Garner, Skipp or Bird making it besides Bellingham, at the moment they are who look like the best shouts.

roverman repped this.