England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes 29. Doubt he would be considered

2. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    If were picking right backs that have never had a call up before, I'd rather baldock from Sheffield utd. He'll probably end up playing for Greece though because he's never gonna get a look in with what's ahead of him.

3. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    Harrison looks like quite a good player as well.

Ayling - I know he probably wouldnt get a call up, but he’s another option. 29 he’s in his prime

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think Phillips will get another call up for the next squad on that display.

Good side Leeds, there gonna cause quite a few teams some problems this season imo.

hussar and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He didn’t look out of place against Liverpool today .. I certainly prefer him to Rice or Dier in that holding role

hussar, W.A.S.P. and roverman repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don’t think we will see Dier in midfield again mind you, he’s well and truly back in his position at centre half now I would say. Even though Rice wasn’t great during the last Internationals, I still don’t think it helps when he doesn’t have the right combinations alongside him in midfield imo.

7. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Why are people in the media quoting £70 to £80 million for Rice !?!

8. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Was going to mention him. Left footed as well. Only 24

9. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Rice had been naff so far .. really poor first touch and second best in 50/50 tackles so far .. supposedly one of his strong points ?

10. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    38 English players involved in todays games so far which is a positive

11. Khadrim

Khadrim Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Just wondering has Alexander Arnold actually had a good game for England? He seems to be an automatic pick for everyone , but I wonder if it is justified.

12. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    I seem to remember he played well and scored versus USA a couple years back. Albeit, it was a friendly.
    Ive said on here before, I don't think he's a natural right back. He's more of a wing back, even midfielder for me.
    I think he will end up playing there in the next couple seasons for klopp.
    I'm really surprised Southgate hasn't tried it yet considering he played so many defenders in different positions in the last two international fixtures.

13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    He's generally struggled so far, but to be fair he's never had anything like a consistent string of games and when he does play its usually in some experimental team.

I wouldn't say he's necessarily England's best option there though. Walker is too much of a bomb scare, but Trippier has many of the same strengths as Arnold (albeit not as effective) and has at least proven his worth in a tournament which is pretty rare as far as English players go. Also played well against Spain and Croatia in the Nations League.

hussar repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I must say, I wouldn’t be against trying TAA as a midfielder in the future. Wasn’t he played there throughout his youth? I mean Germany play Kimmich there and he’s also a right back and it works just fine for them and with TAA range of passing he could be a missing link that we’re craving for plus with the amount of good right backs we have we have plenty of good options, I think it’s worth a try but I don’t think Southgate will try it though. I would like to see it in a friendly like against Wales or New Zealand. Just for balance I’m also fine him playing at right back as more than happy with him there but I’m intrigued to see what he would be like in midfield.

roverman and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  15. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah i think he did play there in his youth but for whatever reason, got stuck at right back for the senior Liverpool team.
    To me, his passing, his vision, his shooting ability and pace are completely wasted on him at right back. Hopefully he gets tested in midfield in one of the upcoming Friendlies like you say.
    Would free up a right back spot for one of our many other options in that position.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He’s on record as saying that he sees himself as a centre mid player

Iansutton270390 repped this.
  17. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He played at RB as that’s where the gsp was ... he never wanted / intended to play there let alone stay there ..

18. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Hopefully he gets to play there at some point.
    Yeah I had a feeling he was put there because to fill a gap. As it happens, he's made the position his own but still think he could do the business in the centre of the pitch.

19. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    He says he was just keen to play in the team and would have played keeper if required..

Trouble is gonna be convincing that he can play midfield

20. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For him to play as a CM he has to play there for Liverpool first

Khadrim and Iansutton270390 repped this.
  21. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I wouldn't like that, he's a world class right back and would be an average CM IMO

TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Mason Greenwood strikes me as the type of character that could end up like ravel morrison. His misdemeanours so early in his career is very worrying. It would be a shame if he never fulfilled his potential like morrison

23. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    You can’t say that until he gets his wish though ..

Didn’t Carragher have to play at RB for quite a while until there was a slot at CB ??

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    dunno about that mate

he’s done more than ravel had at this age

I like a bit of edge tbh

25. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    how do we know? Look at the role amn plays at arsenal. Lwb in defence moves into cm on the left in possession

was really good yesterday. Maybe Klopp could experiment this year as sides are trying to stop their fullbacks I reckon as Leeds did

TitoTata repped this.