England Senior Team General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'England' started by BarryfromEastenders, Jul 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Amazing how someone who isn't English spends so much time on here running our players/league/team down.

burning247 repped this.
  2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Jaden*

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So that means I'm English now?

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    People are too touchy here.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I joke around half the time, mate.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Jadon*

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  8. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Apparently Joe Hart is going to Burnley.

Should be interesting once Heaton and Pope are fully fit.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow the reference I was looking at was incorrect. This has been a comedy sketch.

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Future Senior England International watch:

He looked real good against Napoli yesterday. Should see some level of first team involvement this season.

W.A.S.P., David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  12. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Could see him in the england squad because burnley teaches defenders how to defend. Not sure he is good enough on the ball at top level though

13. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Being a left footed central defender is a big advantage because not many are around

The Potter and David Hurford repped this.
  14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember many people being dissmissive of Gibson, but that was 2-3 years ago. A lot can change.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Callum Chambers apparently going to Fulham on loan which is kind of interesting as it unites him with Alfie Mawson who had a decent partnership at the last Euro U21 Championships if I remember correctly.

16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    That's a good signing for Burnley.

Gibson was ahead of Maguire about 15 months ago. Odd how things change.

W.A.S.P. and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  17. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Tim Ream won their pots as a CB last season. It will be interesting to see if they plan to shunt him out to LB/the bench for Chambers, which would be a big vote of confidence, or if Chambers will be used at RB/on the bench, which may well end up being a wasted season

18. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did anybody watch young Foden and Hudson-Odoi today in the community shield?

The latter looked a bit timid for most of the start of the game but then started to perform a bit better. Of course, a big part of his game was his turn of speed and he was up against Kyle Walker so maybe it was a big ask for the kid.

Foden had a very good game IMO :)... much to my disappointment :(

The Potter repped this.
  19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Won't be surprised if Foden, Hudson-Odoi, or Sancho will get a call up some time this season. The very least U21.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  20. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Foden should definitely be in the U21 running I'd say and probably CHO. Haven't seen enough of Sancho yet so not sure about him.

21. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    certain players you can just see that they have it. foden is in that category. hes so naturally gifted. I'm just hoping he gets a proper chance and doesnt end up like wilshere or similar. yesterday he didnt look out of place at all and some of those through balls, were brilliant.

22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Comfortably ahead of both of them in my opinion.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’d rather he would somehow skip the U21’s tbh while Boothroyd is about. Will likely play him out of position and instruct him not to take risks etc! I just wouldn’t trust Boothroyd with him tbh.

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm... not sure about that. More to the point, doesn't it rather depend on whether he gets to play every week?

According to wiki currently listed in midfield, (which isn't the best definition but it's not unreasonable as a starting point), we have Dier, Lingard, Henderson, Sterling, Delph, Alli, RLC, Lallana, Livermore, Cook, AOC, Wilshere, Cork, Winks and Chalobah.

If most of those are playing every week for their clubs, (particularly guy like Henderson, Lallana, WIlshere and Winks), would you play him ahead of them for the senior squad?

I just want the kid to play every game he can and not just be benched any time there's someone who's seen as the 'safe option'.

Regardless of whether Boothroyd can put out a competitive and competent outfit the teams he'll be playing against in the U21's will provide more competition than him NOT playing for the senior squad which I suspect is what will happen.

I suppose we'll know more in a few weeks as to whether citeh will be starting the kid, won't we so maybe wait until then.

25. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Sessengon as well? Remember when Germany won the Under 21"s in 2009 iirc. They were a good team before that but they integrated the youngsters as soon as they could. This generation are a bit younger than that one but it will be interesting if Southgate keeps with the players who did so well for him, who are quite young as well or if he's aggressive in integrating the big time prospects which can backfire like Walcott or can be a stroke of genius like Owen and Rooney.

There is a good documentary on YouTube, Charlton The Irish Years I think it's an interesting insight into the life and choices of an international manager if anyone is interested.